VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use AutoGK to convert my dvd to avi but the Vertical view need to enlarged or high of the avi only cover about half of my 50' TV. How can i make it higher? . I hope you get my question. the wideness is fine but the high is too small. What setting on AutoGk should i be using? or maybe there is another dvd to avi converter that can get me better Vertical view or high.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It doesn't sound like AutoGK is doing anything wrong. If you watch the original DVD on the same TV does it look the same?

DVDs can contain images which have a wider aspect ratio than a standard TV (16:9). If that's the case the picture will be enlarged on playback until it fills the width of the screen and there'll be black bars above and below the picture. The only way to stop that is to remove some of the picture from the sides so the remaining video has the same dimensions as the screen, or to stretch the picture so it fills the screen. Either way is not really ideal. You either lose some of the picture or you stretch it, and neither is easy to do with AutoGK.

PS Not all DVDs contain wide aspect ratio video. Some will fill the screen after they're re-encoded. Movies tend to require black bars top and bottom (although not always) whereas most TV shows don't.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you tell me of another program that can give me a higher "Vertical view " than AutoGK. I don't mind setting the program to produce a larger avi. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your TV will probably have an option to stretch the video to fill the screen but I think it looks terrible myself.... because it's stretched. If that's all you're wanting to do go through the TV's settings.

Removing part of the video is not an easy topic to explain. Here's a rough description of what's involved. The black rectangle is your TV screen. The red one is the video you're watching. In order for it to fill the screen without being distorted or stretched, it needs to be enlarged on playback until it's the size of the blue rectangle, but your TV probably won't do that. You'd need to remove the picture marked with an "X" when re-encoding.... so what remains is the same aspect ratio as the TV screen. Most encoder GUI's will let you do it (even AutoGK) but you'd need to work out how much to remove each time as each video will be different. I don't know of any programs which will do it automatically.

AutoGK won't stretch the picture when encoding.... by design it prevents you from doing so. It will let you remove some of it from the sides but it's probably not the easiest program to use if that's what you're wanting to do. It's not about creating a "larger" AVI as such, it's about creating an encode with 16:9 dimensions so when it's enlarged on playback it fills the entire 16:9 screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.GIF
Views:	243
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	22087

Personally I use a PC for playback so I encode everything "as-is". MPC-HC has a zoom function which allows you to zoom in on the video until it fills the screen. You lose some of the picture exactly the same way as you do in the example above, but at least it's not stretched. I don't know if any standalone players will do the same.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th Dec 2013 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by babeflover View Post
    I use AutoGK to convert my dvd to avi but the Vertical view need to enlarged...
    If watching on a TV set use the zoom on the remote control to cut into the sides and have the picture fill the screen. It's a stupid thing to do, though.
    Originally Posted by babeflover View Post
    can you tell me of another program that can give me a higher "Vertical view " than AutoGK.
    AutoGK purposely doesn't allow you to stretch the vertical and ruin the picture.
    ...but the Vertical view need to enlarged...
    No, it doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If watching on a TV set use the zoom on the remote control to cut into the sides and have the picture fill the screen. It's a stupid thing to do, though.
    The zoom function on my TV seems to still stretch the picture a bit, but maybe that's just my TV. Not as bad as it's "fill screen" option but it does seem to stretch a little for some reason.

We may have to agree to disagree on the "stupid thing" part though. I regularly zoom wide screen video to fill the screen using MPC-HC and hardly ever feel like I'm missing out as a result (for the moment ignoring the resolution/quality of the video and assuming it looks okay when upscaled that much).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    We may have to agree to disagree on the "stupid thing" part though. I regularly zoom wide screen video to fill the screen using MPC-HC and hardly ever feel like I'm missing out as a result (for the moment ignoring the resolution/quality of the video and assuming it looks okay when upscaled that much).
    Right, there's always the fact that you blur the picture by zooming it, especially an XviD AVI. As for 'agree to disagree', in my opinion there's a right way and a wrong way to watch a movie and anything that differs from the way it was released - from the way it was intended to be viewed - is the wrong way (ignoring for the moment such things as creating 1.33:1 films for one market (TV playback, for instance) and cropping off the top and botton for theatrical release).

Stretching it vertically or horizontally to modify the aspect ratio to fill a widescreen TV set, or cutting off the sides to fill either a 16:9 or 4:3 TV set just because one doesn't like black bars (or some other equally idiotic reason), fall into the 'stupid' category. He has a 50' screen. It's not as if he has trouble seeing the picture. And if he does, then sit closer.

Are there degrees of stupidity (or ignorance, if you really don't know any better)? Is it more stupid to stretch the picture vertically so people look laughably too slender, than it is to cut off the sides, retaining the aspect ratio at the expense of losing a quarter of the picture or more? Can the networks or HBO be excused for cutting off the sides of a 2.40:1 film so it fits the 1.78:1 ratio of a widescreen TV set? I don't know, but for my own viewing I try to both 'create' and watch them in the OAR whenever possible.

I know you're a pretty smart fellow, hello_hello, and very helpful to others, and I've enjoyed reading your posts both here and at Doom9. Maybe you're just a little misguided sometimes.
    Quote Quote