VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Im trying to view subtitles on my Panasonic S48 DVD Player, but no luck .

Its playing fine on my laptop using VLC or Divx player, but not on my stand alone dvd player.

Im using srt files for my subtitles, and the DVD manual doesn't show any details regarding this option .

Thanks .....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is the format of your video file?

Could be a lot of things. Generally, the subtitles must be the same name as the video. So if your video is named MyVideo.avi then your subtitles need to be named MyVideo.srt.

DVD players bought outside of your country may have language restrictions. For example, if you bought this in Europe or Hong Kong, it may not show Arabic subtitles at all. Most DVD players only support a limited number of language character sets for subtitles. In North America and Europe this usually means that the Latin alphabet, Cyrillic and Greek are supported and almost nothing else.

Even if your player does support SRT subtitles in your language, it may restrict which character sets it supports. Usually only Windows character sets are supported. For example, with Cyrillic usually only CP1251 is supported but the older KOI-8 character set was very popular in the past for computers and it may still be possible to find files that use it instead of CP1251, but few DVD players support KOI-8.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jman98
    The video format is avi
    The subtitle is english language
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video format is avi
    Subtitle is english
    I didnt buy the dvd player from another country

My earlier dvd players played subtitles fine, i dont know why this model is not playing any subtitles !!
    Im using a macbook pro

Thanks ......
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try AVIAddXSubs and make a avi/divx with built in subtitles. No video reconversion.

edit: If you are only using mac osx I don't know what you can try.
    Quote Quote