VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. How many years can last up to an LCD monitor? I'm not talking about LED
    type: mine is a Samsung 732NW model manufactured in 2007, it is still running in 2013 but want to know how long it can withstand a maximum taking into account its components such as motherboard, capacitors, liquid crystal display, power supply and lamps
    is very important for me to find a concrete answer because just think different opinions and no opinion of someone who understands the subject as an engineer
    Quote Quote  
  2. If not used daily, LCD monitors will soon develop a fungus. This fungus is especially found in South America and will soon destroy the monitor. The fungus seems to feed on something within the sandwiched layers of the LCD.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are too many factors involved to answer that for any individual machine.
    How many times have you turned it off and on?
    Is there a coating of dust inside the case?
    Is your power erratic? etc...

The significant thing to remember is that one minor component can fail and shut down the monitor.

The industry uses a concept called Mean Time Between Failure, which gives an average expected lifetime.
    Samsung may have that spec somewhere on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ahhaa - You're feeding a troll, man. Look here for an example of the "fun" follow up questions you're likely to face, now that you gave a serious answer.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/358823-DVD-disc-Fungus?p=2286513#post2286513
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Game, you can look at your monitor and get your answer. That IS the absolutely only true answer for YOUR monitor. Nothing else matters but that.

Once again, you ask questions that cannot be seriously answered, so we believe you are playing a game, and so we make jokes.

Why don't you google "LCD longevity" and believe those answers?
    Quote Quote  
  6. could not find anything about the durability of the Samsung 732NW monitor model manufactured in 2007
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When it breaks down, you will know the answer......
    Quote Quote  
  8. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the use you give to your monitor. As an example, if you use it to watch pirated movies, there is a safeguard device that will burn the monitor after a certain number of movies. The exact number depends on the manufacturer. Go to Samsung website to retrieve that information.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  9. I got this monitor as a gift from a friend and how old it is (2007) I wanted to know the longevity of a LCD monitor as it has several parts board, lamps, lcd, power supply capacitors
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keyser, is this about the violating monitors that erupt into pyroclastic flows, and sending shards of glass ripping thru the air?

Boy, I hope Samsung Rules Of Use don't include other popular-with-certain-kinds-of-males videos and graphics files!

And Game, back to my original point. Why? Won't "looking at it" answer your question? I did find quite a lot on LCD Longevity Testing methods, but I also found a lot on DVD Disk Longevity Testing methods, too, but since you never believe anything on the Internet... well, I won't bother passing on those links.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The trolls English is certainly better compared to his original trolling posts!!
    Notice how it went from "durability" to "longevity", mighty big words there.....

See if your troll mind can wrap itself around this!!

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can tell you how long your monitor will last!!!!!!
    It could die today or 10 years from now!!!!

Or....
    you could buy a crystal ball, consult a tarot reader, see a fortune teller, find a black magic priest to throw some chicken bones, etc.
    and maybe they could tell you how long your monitor will last.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Someone should monitor this poll as it can turn into a real fungus fest.(pun intentional)
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am most careful when I choose a monitor. I believe in speaking to those most closely attached to the whole process from manufacture to shipping and now, due to the power of social netw@nking it is easy.

I looked quite closely at Samsung ever since HB muttered those immortal words 'Sung it again Sam ?'.

My first contact was Wing Wang who, I was informed, was responsible for the finite massaging of the LSD crystals. Could not understand a word he was writing. 'bleedin' foreigners' but he then said I should twit ....

Fu Kit. Head honcho of quality control.

"I am interested in the 732 NW. How good is that ?" being oh so careful not to exceed the 250 letters.

"Got no chance mamo shahib. We ship all of those to Brasil. Gotta give the trolls over there something to polish their tonsils over."
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Or....
    you could buy a crystal ball, consult a tarot reader, see a fortune teller, find a black magic priest to throw some chicken bones, etc.
    and maybe they could tell you how long your monitor will last.
    Nope. Ouija. The boards made from teakwood and stained walnut are the only way to go. The teakwoods that are stained mahogany won't give any answer higher than the number 3. I have that on the highest authority.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DAMN!!!!!
    I forgot about Ouija boards!!!
    And I even have one!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And TEA LEAVES. Although with a little honey, everything kinda goes down the hatch... I'd hate to be reading tea leaves at the, uh, other end. Hrumph...

I think that with voodoo chicken bones, a tarot card cup with tea leaves in the bottom, AND a crystal ball rolling around on that fortune teller's Ouija board, Gamey's got a pretty good chance of figuring out exactly when Monitor Fungus will strike, AND at which layers, first!

Boy, I'm really perturbed that DBB3 couldn't get ol' Wang to disclose just a tad more. Well, at least Gonca's not here!
    Quote Quote  
  17. I got this monitor as a gift from a friend and how old it is (2007) I wanted to know the longevity of a LCD monitor as it has several parts board, lamps, lcd, power supply capacitors

MTBF or years longevity?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    I got this monitor as a gift from a friend and how old it is (2007) I wanted to know the longevity of a LCD monitor as it has several parts board, lamps, lcd, power supply capacitors

MTBF or years longevity?
    At first expect that CFL will start to deteriorate, later el-caps in all type SMPS, remain part even LCD itself are quite long live (even if LCD itself suffer from similar problems as PDP devices) - general rule is unknown as single component may fail and this is related mostly to various environmental stress sources. For various consumer products monitor class, MTBF can be between 10 and 50 thousand hours - usually it is something around 25000 hr.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    I got this monitor as a gift from a friend and how old it is (2007) I wanted to know the longevity of a LCD monitor as it has several parts board, lamps, lcd, power supply capacitors

MTBF or years longevity?
    At first expect that CFL will start to deteriorate, later el-caps in all type SMPS, remain part even LCD itself are quite long live (even if LCD itself suffer from similar problems as PDP devices) - general rule is unknown as single component may fail and this is related mostly to various environmental stress sources. For various consumer products monitor class, MTBF can be between 10 and 50 thousand hours - usually it is something around 25000 hr.
    What is CFL? you said that LCD monitors have a life of 25,000 hours?

Any program that shows how many hours the power was on my monitor today?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I use my Magic 8 ball and so far it is accurate.

Seriously the main cause of failure in TV's(and most electronics) seems to be the power supply board, the electrolytic caps are the culprit.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is CFL?
    Seeing as you obviously don't know how to do anything for yourself.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+cfl+lighting

There, click that link.

Guess what else ?
    It works for other questions also!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    What is CFL? you said that LCD monitors have a life of 25,000 hours?

Sorry for typo - forgot about one C it should be CCFL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ccfl

Sometimes number of working hours can be visible trough DDC utility (usually provided by monitor manufacturer - but universal can work too http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm ), usually number hours and cycles ON/OFF can be accessible trough service mode (you need search for description how to enter into service mode in your display - perhaps it is accessible only trough diagnostic connector - sometimes simple UART, sometimes JTAG like).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
    For some Samsung monitors, this method works to bring up the service menu, which displays the number of hours used:
    - Set the Contrast and Brightness to 0.
    - Press the Menu button and release it.
    - Press and hold the Enter button for 5 seconds (button 4 from top to bottom).
    - To quit the service menu press the power button to switch off and then turn the monitor on again.

This is all the help you will get from me.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Guys, you keep feeding the troll with every serious answer.

Well on the way to 100 posts here. Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Guys, you keep feeding the troll with every serious answer.

Well on the way to 100 posts here. Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
    It is up to me to decide whether I answer a question or not. Every answer feeds tolls, so piss off, asshat.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Dec 2013 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually, well said.

Enough to make me bounce this because I KNOW Gonca wouldn't dare show up with his further nudges, winks and say-n'mores. (<-- commonly known as The Gauntlet)

There was a time when every electronic device worth its ROM had a service-mode. I don't remember how many of those included a fail-safe do-or-die anti-fungal keystroke combo, though. Boy, it sure would be handy.

Does soaking a monitor in a bath of bleach prevent this? I've thought this would probably be a good cure for Gamey's drives and disks, too.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I wanted to know:

1 What is the lifespan of an LCD monitor Samsung SyncMaster 732NW manufactured in 2007? I have this monitor and was wondering about the time of his life

2 has some software that identifies the usage time in hours that my LCD monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And each question has been answered. Since you can't understand any of the answers, why should we think you will now understand the next one?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I got a samsung syncmaster p2370h, bought it in 2009 i think, so you do the maths. I use it daily, so far so good (knocking on wood)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  30. In order to maximize the longevity of an LCD monitor, it is essential that the perihelion of the electron flow be kept to slightly less than the maximum upside of the azimuth adjustment.

Blagnatz jorbthon heebletrop.
    Quote Quote