VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently found 15 Hi8 tapes that I thought we had lost in a move. They were recorded on a Sharp Viewcam, a VLAH50U if I remember correctly (if that makes any difference). The camera is long gone. I want to convert to digital as a present for my wife as these are all from when the kids were little.

I remember reading someplace that other Hi8 cameras should be able to read these tapes but not all have firewire or I-link. I have firewire on several PCs so that is not a problem. I just don't know what would be the best choice of used camera to read these tapes. Any suggestions? (and yes I know there may be issues with head-alignment, skewing, etc.)

Bill W
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think all of the Sony Digital8 camcorders will read Hi8 tapes and output over Firewire. No idea about any other makes though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    I think all of the Sony Digital8 camcorders will read Hi8 tapes and output over Firewire. No idea about any other makes though.
    The two latest (and last) lines of Sony D8 camcorders have models that do not play 8/Hi8 tapes; they are only D8. Take note.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  4. The two latest (and last) lines of Sony D8 camcorders have models that do not play 8/Hi8 tapes; they are only D8. Take note.
    Second to that i used 3 digital 8 cameras that didn't played hi8 tapes ( and 8mm not Hi that i have plays them but with black streaks (common compatability problem) so better to use HI8 analog camera with svhs out and built in TBC or you can use "regular" best if Sony camera and use DVD recorder as TBC. See these tread http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4025-best-camera-playing.html and http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3834-how-video-stored-2.html it can help you decide about the model of the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, having gone just about blind researching all this (and still confused as ever), it looks like any TRV with firewire *should* be able to read my Hi8 tapes? Is that a correct conclusion?

How is a TRV350? Seems to be quite a few of those on ebay from ridiculously cheap to ridiculously expensive. But, if it works, I may well pursue. If there is some other model that will work just a well, please let me know.

Thanks folks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine is a Sony TRV-103, and it does the 8mm/Hi-8–to–DV conversion just fine. You can usually find them on eBay for around $100 or so, nowadays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
    it looks like any TRV with firewire *should* be able to read my Hi8 tapes?
    No. Every TRV has Firewire. And TRV isn't even specific to Sony's own tape format; they used the same letter designation for miniDV models.

Assuming you are in North America: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355121-Sony-Handycam-Digital8-camcorders-with-analo...gital-passthru
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
    How is a TRV350? Seems to be quite a few of those on ebay from ridiculously cheap to ridiculously expensive. But, if it works, I may well pursue. If there is some other model that will work just a well, please let me know...
    I have a Sony TRV350K. I bought it way back (gasp!) 2003. I never cared for the grotty camera section, having used it mainly for digitizing 8/Hi8 tapes. It seems to have a fairly wide tolerance for tapes made by other 8/Hi8 camcorders; I have captured SP tapes taken with Hitachi and Sharp camcorders (and some LP). It also has a reliable analogue-to-DV pass through feature, which I have used to capture VHS tapes with. Although it is specified as NTSC, an undocumented feature is the ability to play back PAL tapes (PAL DV out via FireWire, NTSC/50 via analogue outs that include S-video). Adobe Premiere, WinDV, and windoze movie maker readily see and control it (connected to a TI-chipset based FireWire card). If in working order, there should be no problems for playing back tapes with a view to just getting DV-out. The 1/8" analogue out, though is configured differently with connectors that seem to be currently around; I have discussed this in a previous thread.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote