VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Do you gain anything watching 1440, 2160p, 4K etc. on a 1080p monitor? Isn't 1080p the limit of a 1080p monitor?

Or is that not correct?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes this correct.
    You can see from video sample on 1080p monitor, if switch quality between 1080p to Original you don't see any differences:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6eaVeYXOs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see the point of higher than 1080p for almost all people anyway.

There are studies out there where they actually crunched the numbers, based upon viewing distance, screen pixel size, and the angle a pixel subtends on the retina of a person with normal average 20:20 vision.

Bottom line? The median viewing distance is 9 feet. At that distance, if your vision is 20:20 you would need a 70" screen to actually be able to see all the detail in 1080p video.

Which means most people can't see the detail on their 1080p screens now. What the hell is the point of doubling or quadrupling the pixel count except to make video harder to pirate due to much larger files?

Of course, there will be people who will swear they can see a difference they can't possibly see. Much like those who swear they can hear a big difference between different line level phono plug audio cables. Pure placebo effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @hoser rob - to sidetrack a little I think it's more important to deal with bitrate than strictly resolution.

We all know what low bitrate looks like - crap. I'd rather have a high bitrate 720p video than a bitrate starved 1080p video.

But yes I would tend to think anything above 1080p is not necessary at this point in our entertainment equipment life cycle. Certainly even more so since there isn't a stable high quality delivery system yet for higher than 1080p material.

Until the internet pipeline triples and goes down in price we'll have to wait for whatever 4k discs are devoloped to fully deliver on higher resolution material.

Bitrate starved 4k material won't impress anymore than bitrate starved 1080p material does.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Check out a 4K display. The detail is amazing. If you can think up a compelling use for it, the industry will love you.
    Quote Quote