VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Handbrake to rip a DVD i have but when I add the DVD it splits it up into 19 titles but i need them to be chapters.

edit: is there a program that can join multiple titles to make them one and have chapter break in between?
    Last edited by Vobnub; 30th Nov 2013 at 17:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't use the program but if the problem is created during the decryption, then use something else to decrypt the DVD (DVD Decrypter, DVDFab HD Decrypter) before then feeding the results into Handbrake. And I have a feeling you're doing something very wrong as I've never read of this problem before.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How are you ripping? IFO mode, ISO, File mode, etc?

If you rip to ISO and open the ISO image with Handbrake (or VidCoder) you should get good results, unless the videos are actually separate titles and not chapters.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    How are you ripping? IFO mode, ISO, File mode, etc?

If you rip to ISO and open the ISO image with Handbrake (or VidCoder) you should get good results, unless the videos are actually separate titles and not chapters.
    Yeh I ripped with ISO mode and when I add the ISO source in Handbrake I get 19 titles. Is there any way to convert the titles into chapters?

Im wanting to output to a single mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wait a minute. Are you saying the DVD is also made up of 19 separate titles? If not, and if you're decrypting into separate chapters, reconfigure your DVDDecrypter.
    Originally Posted by Vobnub View Post
    Is there any way to convert the titles into chapters?
    If the DVD is made up of 19 different titles, then there's no easy way to convert it to a single title. Not without demuxing the whole thing. For example, you could open all 19 titles in DGIndex and demux into a single M2V and AC3 file. Then remux into an MPG for Handbrake. Doing that may run the risk of out-of-synch audio, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Personally I'd encode each title individually (assuming the DVD was ripped correctly and it does in fact have 19 titles) and then append the output files together with MKVMergeGUI. You shouldn't have any audio sync issues doing it that way. Of course that assumes you're happy with MKV as the output container. You could probably do the same with MP4s but I rarely work with them myself.

Chapters might be a little trickier..... I just tried a quick test encode with HandBrake while enabling Handbrake's "create chapter markers" option, thinking that'd make it nice and easy.... each individual encode would have a single chapter and when they're joined together you'd have a chapter for each title, but alas..... from the Handbrake log file:

[23:28:14] 1 job(s) to process
    [23:28:14] starting job
    [23:28:14] sync: expecting 991 video frames
    [23:28:14] work: only 1 chapter, disabling chapter markers

So you'd probably need to create the chapters manually. It's not hard to do but it'd involve a bit of typing to explain, so if you need to know how to do it please reply.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks hello_hello. That option looks like it would be best with MKVMergeGUI and I cant seem to find how to make chapters so could you explain.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had a plan which involved adding a single chapter at the start point of each encode and then joining them together to give you a single MKV with a chapter at the point where each file was appended, but when I tried it, it didn't work. MKVMergeGUI seems to ignore chapter files which only contain a single chapter. That would have been an easy way to get the chapters in the correct spot, but plan B......

If each encode only has a single chapter then you'll need to create one chapter file with multiple chapters and add it to the muxing job while you're appending the encodes together. Unfortunately that'll involve manually working out exactly where to put them which might take a little time.... looking at the length of each encode or appending the files and playing the single MKV while noting down the times where you want the chapters to be. That'd be the hard part. Creating the chapter file itself is nice and easy. Copy the following and save it as a text file:

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
    CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter One
    CHAPTER02=00:07:02.589
    CHAPTER02NAME=Two
    CHAPTER03=00:11:59.344
    CHAPTER03NAME=Three, Three, Three
    CHAPTER04=00:19:27.625
    CHAPTER04NAME=Chapter Four
    CHAPTER05=00:25:34.825
    CHAPTER05NAME=Five

It's just to give you a starting point, but you can add more, rename them and change their time codes etc. Once you're done, save the text file and add it to MKVMergeGUI's Chapter File area under the Global tab. Resave the appended files as a new MKV and that should be it.

Normally for DVDs I'd extract the chapters from the DVD using MeGUI's chapter extractor under the Tools menu, which should give you chapters in all the right places, and then it'd just be a matter of renaming them before adding them to the MKV (if you want to), but whether that'd work for your particular DVD I'm not sure (generally I'd be encoding a single title with multiple chapters). You can always try it first. If you don't want to install MeGUI there's no doubt a few standalone chapter extractors. Someone may be able to recommend one, or I found this via google.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Chapter-Grabber
    If there's not appropriate chapters in the DVD itself, at least you should be able to do it manually now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Or you could use DVDStyler addding each of your 18 titles as chapters to title 1. Since they are DVD compliant there will be no re-encode and you can make an ISO to use in HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Or you could use DVDStyler addding each of your 18 titles as chapters to title 1. Since they are DVD compliant there will be no re-encode and you can make an ISO to use in HandBrake.
    Sounds like a reasonable idea. One thought though.... what if the video and audio in the original titles is of slightly different lengths. Would DVDStyler fill in the gaps to give you contiguous video and audio in a single title? If not it might cause problems when re-encoding, but the idea sounds like it's worth trying anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There used to be a guide on how to do this. It involved renumbering the ripped VOB files sequentially, then using (I think) IfoEdit and VOBEdit. I think it was a long-time Aussie VHelp user who had a website where he had a guide. I recall the hardest part was renaming the VOB files.....it wasn't difficult.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was user jimmalenko.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    what if the video and audio in the original titles is of slightly different lengths. Would DVDStyler fill in the gaps to give you contiguous video and audio in a single title?
    It doesn't matter as when the chapters change you begin fresh with a 0 delay (or whatever the original delay was for that title that became a cell/chapter). However, the audio could very well get out of synch after being run through Handbrake if it's as you described. I warned about the same thing when proposing a solution earlier in the thread:
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    For example, you could open all 19 titles in DGIndex and demux into a single M2V and AC3 file. Then remux into an MPG for Handbrake. Doing that may run the risk of out-of-synch audio, though.
    But Vobnub hasn't confirmed the original DVD was composed of 19 titles. Maybe it's a music DVD compilation and it really has all those titles. But if it has the usual structure, none of this should be necessary. He'd just have to decrypt it properly. DVDDecrypter in file mode with no splitting by chapters should do it.
    Quote Quote