VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

i have recently reformatted my old pc and installed a brand new windows 7 ultimate (32bit) operating system on it.i had copied all my music and video library from this pc's old operating system and recently downloaded a new version of vlc. directly from the video lan site (original). in thought that vlc has all he codecs allready built in. so to play all the videos i had on my old computer.
    thing is when i open some kind of files, say, *.FLAC it plays it very jittery with a lot of skips and cuts. like a broken cd on a cd player. totally unbearable. so i downloaded the k-lite codec pack thinking it would install new codecs on my pc for vlc / media player to use to play it right. but vlc is still jittery while media player plays it ok. some files play but some don't not sure which.
    if i try to play certain mp4 files the video is 80% green or totally jammed or even apears black, but i can tell the vlc thinks it's playing it allright i tried to play some of the files that appeared broken on the vlc - on the media player and some seem to work fine and some don't.
    and another weird thing, i have a full 1080p hd videos (1920X1080). and when i try to view them in their original resolution it doesn't let me. it always restricts me to my max screen res which is 1280X1024 (a small 17" screen). in my old xp pc the video on vlc that was larger than my screen would extend beyond my screen res and "gush" out the sides of he monitor. not that i needed it. it was just a sign for my that my pc could play at that resolution so when i connect it to tv screen i know it can play at that res.

three main problems here:
    1. make my pc play every kind of audio format/codec
    2. make my pc play every kind of video format/codec
    3. i want to be able to play the original size of the video on my pc. no matter what size it is.

sorry for all the text guys. i just thought you needed to hear all the little details to understand the problem.
    thanks allot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We'd recommend that you uninstall the codec pack. They are not looked favorably upon here.

Also just download the codecs you need, not a one size fits all approach.

It's odd that vlc is having issues. Do you have another computer you could try the problem files on? Where they ok before and they are acting up now?

Also try recopying them from your original source. There might have been a corruption somewhere. Unlikely but still a possiblity.

Have you tried mpchc yet? That is the other go-to choice here.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. VLC cannot use system installed codecs. It only uses its built in source filters, splitters, and codecs. Installing klite was a waste of time as far as VLC is concerned. If VLC is having problems the issue is elsewhere -- probably the display driver. Restricting playback to the size of the display is one example of a display driver limitation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where do i find the codecs one by one? and which should i download?

all files where on this same particular pc before the os upgrade and worked perfectly fine. in fact they are on the same drive the were before. and yes i tried to copy the files to my new SSD and play them from there so to negate the assumption that it was a bottle-neck data transfer rate issue.

i have downloaded the mphc player and tried to play the video files that made problems and it made mhc not responsive. and so i tried on quick-time, media player. with the same "can't play the file" message

and i'm quite sure nothing is corrupt
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but that's a good idea jagabo. i'll go to the ATI site and download the latest drivers for my cards. back in a jiff
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No luck with updating viedo driver
    Quote Quote  
  7. It is unclear what you have done.

You stated you formatted your hard drive. You stated media files were copied. Then, later, a new hard drive is mentioned. You say that the files are all in the original location.

I am confused. Was the drive holding the files formatted? Were these copied to some OTHER medium, then copied BACK to the original drive?
    What was the original OS that played the giles correctly

What is your processor speed? Your RAM and system age indicate the PC may be underpowered for Win7.

Installation of the K-lite codec pack makes useful diagnoses of this problem damn near impossible. Remove it. Install what you need. Since you just formatted, do it again.

Where there Win7 specific drivers for your sound and video card, or are you using the generic ones.

Your statement about the video display observed and it's connection to your monitor's abilities is incorrect. A monitor that is not capable of displaying a 1920 x 1080 image just isn't period. What it actually does with that oversized image depends on the drivers and player software, and their individual settings, AND win7 often handles this differently than XP.
    Quote Quote