VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    does anyone know of what brand/models output HD resolutions over component and hdmi ?

i have the toshiba dr430 dvd recorder with 1080p UPcoversion, but i can't seem to figure out how to get it to output any HD resolution other than SD 720x480 over component. i am trying to record either 720 or 1080 into the hauppauge hdpvr (original version) but can't figure it out. maybe the dr430 is not really an upcoverter.

i fed a standard DVD (the movie was Tron) but it didn't upconvert to HD that i could tell or record through the hauppauge.

if there are any other units that do, i would like to know, maybe i can pick up one in a store somewhere, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Recent BD standalones don't have component out jacks any more, do they? Or they're crippled. I'm thinking no players designed after 2011 have them; it's to close the analog hole. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Anyway, I have two Sony S-360s that have component out. Maybe get a refurb?

BTW, you're only gonna get upconversion over HDMI.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the manual shows 720 and 1080 as only available when using hdmi. component is probably limited to 480p.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. This also begs the question of why try to upscale Std-Def sources for capture to begin with. Just as an experiment? As aedipuss mentions, get an HDMI cable, as well as a 1080p TV with HDMI in (if yours isn't).
    Last edited by manono; 29th Nov 2013 at 16:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, you're only gonna get upconversion over HDMI.
    the manual shows 720 and 1080 as only available when using hdmi. component is probably limited to 480p.
    Just as an experiment?
    yes, that explains it, though i'm getting 480i when i feed it an SD source from directv, or when play a dvd. and, yes, just as an experiement, and something to test, and also for other purposes.

edit: ok, i realize i can never get 480p (not that i was looking for that) when feeding SD sources like directv output. and since my stanard dvds are not HD, 480i is what will come out.
    Quote Quote