VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Lenovo 4GB usb memory stick. I've had it for years and I used it maybe a hundred times, and just today, most of my files/folders vanished and were replaced with giberish files that could not be deleted. The only solution was to take off the few remaining good files/folders and do a reformat. I put some files back on the memory stick and it seems OK, but I don't know if the same corruption will happen again soon. I was wondering if a case of static electricity could have done this corruption ( when touching the memory stick)? Any insight on this situation is appreciated. Also is there a website link that discusses this phenomenon? I hate to throw out the memory stick if I can still use it for many more years with careful handling. I realise that memory sticks are cheap, but I always think the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.
    I would hate to have a 16GB memory stick have the same problem some years later. Besides, this memory stick was given to me as a gift and has some sentimental value.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's about $2 to replace. why take the chance? i throw them out at the first sign of memory problems.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know how good is your German, here's a google translation. This is a good program to test flash drives. You'll know if there's any problem with your drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Agree with Aedipuss, I would not waste 10 seconds on it. USB sticks are TEMPORARY storage. And they're dirt cheap. Failures are common.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ... this memory stick was given to me as a gift and has some sentimental value.
    So put it in a drawer and say a requiem mass for it, because sentimental value is probably about the only value it has now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, for now I put all the files back on the usb memory stick and it is working OK. Could have been a bit of static electricity when handling. A new memory stick could have the same problem (or worse) from static electricity. If it fails again I'll trash it. The newer memory sticks might be made less robust (like new VCRs, DVD players, etc).
    Quote Quote