VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been trying now for a couple of years to convert these HD blu ray transport stream files, my panasonic blu ray recorder makes to play in my i pad.

i make a bluray disc of programmes from freesat hd bbc1 of say a music show, but when i try to load into a editing programme to cut out parts i dont require, nothing reads them and i just get error messages, i have tried blu ray convertors and ripper software, fab dvd software, nero, adobe premiere,

edius, win dvd freezes with them, other bluray machines will not play these files, all i want is to convert a few of the files for my tablet, i have tried a hardware convertor that removes hdcp and they still will not output or play unless it is on a panasonic dvd player or recorder, i have a component out on the recorder but that converts hd to standard definition only, so thats no good either,

can you help please, the only way i have is to point my camcorder at my tv screen and do it that way, but even that lowars sound and video quality,

all standard definition programmes load and work fine with all the software mentiones above, it is hd recorded stuff only

Hope you can advise me, any help would be greatly welcome
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps a MediaInfo report of one of those recordings would give more info to work with. Likely it's a proprietary Panasonic format that most software can't read. But you can try importing as a transport stream or recorded source using trial versions from TMPGenc Smart Renderer or TMPGenc Video Mastering Works ,one or both of which can import some weird Panasonic DVD and HD formats. As it is, Nero and Adobe will re-encode the hell out of your edited video anyway.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Sanlyn,
    Thankyou for your reply, i will take your valued advice and give these links a go.
    Best Wishes Geoff UK
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    they will also re-encode as Pegasys wants that all videos are 200% up to BR standard This particularly applies to DVB streams which usually don't follow DVD / BR standard but plays without a problem when authored as such, without re-conversion.

Try VRD H.264. It's not cheap but worth the money, and doesn't re-encode video unless you like it to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Vido Mastering Works is an encoder. It re-encodes everything. The Smart Renderer is exactly what it means; it renders only a small portion of cut frames; if you ask for a different format or other major change on output, you're wasting your time using a smart rendering editor. If your input isn't BR/AVCHD/DVD standard, you have to re-encode it to standards anyway. IF VRD accepts and outputs non-standard video, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    If your input isn't BR/AVCHD/DVD standard, you have to re-encode it to standards anyway. IF VRD accepts and outputs non-standard video, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Please read carefully. We are discussing here an European DVB HD recording. Are you familiar with it? I afraid not. BBC HD stream muxes and plays perfectly as i.e. AVCHD, after cutting and NOT re-encoding in VRD. I don't need a menu hence I prefer to mux such stream to mkv.

Same applies to SD broadcasts. Often the GOP structure of DVB streams doesn't match DVD standard but I authored thousands in DVD Maestro and they play on different systems without flaws.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm certain that more than one software product could be recommended and used. However, TMPGEnc Smart Renderer is a smart rendering editor and is used worldwide. TVMW5 is not a smart rendering editor, as you note.
    Quote Quote  
  8. These can also be considered: Cypheros TS-Doctor, SolveigMM Video Splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Sanlyn & noemi,
    Thanks again for your help, I have downloaded & installed TMPGenc Smart Renderer & TMPGenc Video Mastering Works,
    the hd files load in but with a blank black thumbnail when I try to convert a error message comes up saying these titles can not be selected as they are protected, if it is a s definition tv broadcast these convert fine.
    Regards Geoff
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you certain that these broadcasts are not flagged such that recordings are supposed to be encrypted/copy protected? I recall reading something like the link below saying that BBC1-HD planned to flag broadcasts to restrict how programming could be recorded. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1464006
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have downloaded vrd and installed , again when I load the blu ray disc and select different hd tv files I get the message
    unable to open file D\BDAV\STREAM\00007 M2ts and same with the other files
    Quote Quote  
  12. TO usually Quiet,
    Thankyou for posting the link , I have gone through a lot of it , and its convinced me to give up on these files as they are going to be so difficult to get to another format, if like they say in the forums they may have 1 type of encryption then one type of copyright on the freesat broadcast as well.
    thanks to you all for your help, I will stick with the camcorder to the screen.
    Regards Geoff UK
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geoff m View Post
    Hi Sanlyn & noemi,
    Thanks again for your help, I have downloaded & installed TMPGenc Smart Renderer & TMPGenc Video Mastering Works,
    the hd files load in but with a blank black thumbnail when I try to convert a error message comes up saying these titles can not be selected as they are protected, if it is a s definition tv broadcast these convert fine.
    As I suspected.

The workaround might be something like a Hauppauge HD PVR. Don't know whether they appear in the UK, I haven't visited in 6 years (it's about time for another trip across the pond, according to the wife). It's a wonder your Panasonic didn't flag them as protected media.
    Quote Quote  
  14. So, you would need a PC DVB-S2 (Freesat) or DVB-T (Freeview) card which decrypt on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hello sanlyn & noemi, once again thankyou for your help, its all a bit to technical for me.
    Do you think the standard definition modified component out could be changed back by a service technician to out put the hd signal that way, or do you think its a no no
    Regards Geoff
    Last edited by geoff m; 26th Nov 2013 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It won't make any difference. Component output will be SD as well, because it's SD source -- despite the fact that component cable can also carry HD video, but it will be analog instead of pure digital. Devices like the Hauppauge unit work with component output (although there's a new version that works with HDMI). The idea is defeating HDMI's copy protection. Whether that will work with the UK units described is something for UK users to explore. We can't use those models on this side of the big pond. Land of the free, and all that (snide, yes. Hollywood is the big a/v Nazi over here).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    So, you would need a PC DVB-S2 (Freesat) or DVB-T (Freeview) card which decrypt on the fly.
    If I understood the thread I linked to correctly, the broadcasts themselves are not encrypted. They are flagged in such a way that a set-top box that obeys the flag will encrypt them as it records. Someone in the thread seemed to think that PC cards and their software would either not detect or not obey the flag, so their recorded files would not be encrypted.

[Edit]PC-based recording might be a solution for the future. For existing recordings, an HDMI capture device plus an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP as a side effect would be a good way to copy the recordings for portability. The OP may or may not find doing either of these things appealing, but those are other alternatives to recording the screen with a camera as it appears he is currently doing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2013 at 12:11.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I think a DVB card is cheaper option for the future than what is proposed above. Please check for example these reliable external USB devices. They are provided with simplified version DVB Viewer which is the best imo. The benefit over other options is also that you get exact and not re-encoded A/V stream as broadcast. Moreover these devices are able to make a blindscan of a satellite feed. You said that you record music, so you may find a raw stream from i.e. Glastonbury which you will never see on BBC
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thankyou all, for your valued advice,
    i actually bought a hdcp hdmi stripper, that outputted to hd component black magic intensity pro card in my computer, and that could not accept these transport stream files, there is just no image present, just going back to the component out on the back of the recorder, even though it is analogue as longs it does not shrink the screen size ( if it could be converted) i could live with that, do you think it could be adapted
    Regards Geoff
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just going back to the component out on the back of the recorder, even though it is analogue as longs it does not shrink the screen size ( if it could be converted) i could live with that, do you think it could be adapted
    Regards Geoff
    No. Your Blu-Ray recorder lacks the necessary hardware to output HD video via component.

AACS is required for your recorder to play commercial Blu-Ray discs, and the AACS license has required the gradual elimination of analog output capability on Blu-Ray players over time. As I recall HD component video out was allowed on the first Blu-Ray players. Later, component video out on new models could only be SD. A year or so after that, Blu-Ray players could have no component video connections. As of this year, new Blu-Ray players can't include analog connections of any kind.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Would a old Panasonic blu ray player with hd component out, maybe allow me to output these streams then if I managed to find one for sale, do you think
    Regards Geoff
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would a old Panasonic blu ray player with hd component out, maybe allow me to output these streams then if I managed to find one for sale, do you think
    Regards Geoff
    No. The recordings on the BD discs are encrypted using a different method than the one used for commercial Blu-Ray discs, and the encryption key is unique to the individual recorder. Even recorders of the same make and model are unable to play each other's copy protected discs. The only thing that is capable of playing copy protected recordings is the Blu-Ray recorder that created them.
    Quote Quote  
  23. It does not look good does it, i think i will stick with the camcorder to the screen for now, thanks to all who replied, your help was very helpful and i have learned a lot from you
    Best Wishes Geoff UK
    Quote Quote