VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi evryone,

I tried to retrieve some pictures that I stored in a CDRW in 2002. But the disc is corrupted. I check other CDRW and some are corrupted too. I also 3 DVD-RAM and all have not problem reading. Can media experts here confirm on the reliability of DVD-RAM before I ditch all the CDRW while I stall can read them. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-RAM may be better than some other re-writable media, but there is no re-writable optical media that is suitable for long-term storage. If you want to preserve the data stored on your re-writable discs, copy it to quality write-once optical media, Make more than one copy or copy to a hard drive as well as optical media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The discs themselves may be fine if read using the original burner ... lg brand burners tend to be less picky

All media is capable of failing.

Making regular backups to more than one type is the only method to guarantee data long term storage and integrity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It's painful losing pictures taken a decade ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's easily the worst format of DVD media.
    Sorry that happened to you.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Folks,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It's painful losing pictures taken a decade ago.
    We've been saying for as long as I can remember here that no re-writable media is suitable for long term storage. About 2 years is the average you can hope for. You may get less, you may get a lot more, but eventually all re-writable media will become unreadable if left alone. I'm sorry you missed it, but we have been warning people about this for a long time and you're a long time member with a lot of posts. I am shocked that you didn't know any better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Hi evryone,

I tried to retrieve some pictures that I stored in a CDRW in 2002. But the disc is corrupted. I check other CDRW and some are corrupted too. I also 3 DVD-RAM and all have not problem reading. Can media experts here confirm on the reliability of DVD-RAM before I ditch all the CDRW while I stall can read them. Thanks in advance.
    My best CD reader is still an 8x drive from, um, the 90s something. I've kept it, and some others just to have when disks won't read. I absolutely recommend you try the CDRWs with various kind and age of readers. My experience is that CDRW is notoriously picky when it comes to reader/writers. They can work fine in one machine, the next machine wants you to format the disk.
    And try software like Unstoppable Copier, I think I had success with that a couple of years ago.
    If using RAR to archive material, make sure to use recovery record.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re: Is DVD-RAM the most reliable ?
    NO
    Get 2 external hard drives and keep them in them at seperate locations for safety and security reasons.
    More reliable expecialy for long term storage.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There are a lot of variables, try some solutions:
    CD-RW in CD-R or CD-ROM drive - CD-R drives are incapable of reading CD-RWs. If you are using a CD-RW disc verify the drive is a CD-ROM or CD-R drive is capable of reading the disc.
    Verify you have the latest drivers installed for the CD-R or recordable drive.
    Not all CD-R disks are compatible with all types and speeds of CD-R drives or other recordable drives
    Verify the drive supports the recordable media you are attempting to read.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000666.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Hi evryone,

I think the most reliable backup medium would be punch cards. You should invest in those.
    Quote Quote