VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

to encode my example-source file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39871584/C0020.mxf I use:

ffmpeg -i d:\c0020.mxf -vcodec mjpeg -pix_fmt yuvj422p -q:v 0 -an output.avi

If I wont transcode at the highest quality possibly is correct I use -pix_fmt yuvj422p?

and to increase bitrate is correct I use -q:v 0?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    Hi

to encode my example-source file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39871584/C0020.mxf I use:

If I wont transcode at the highest quality possibly is correct I use -pix_fmt yuvj422p?

and to increase bitrate is correct I use -q:v 0?

thanks

For nonstandard MJPEG 10 bit can be used (beware as probably only ffmpeg will read such MJPEG), also q level should be not bellow 2 if you consider compatibility with non ffmpeg decoder.

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -c:v mjpeg -q:v 2.0 -dc 10 -an %1.avi

but perhaps you should consider to use MPEG-2/1 in 1 GOP (single I frame) mode - it can be comparable to MJPEG but can provide better quality and compatibility (or just use H.264 in single I lossless mode).
    seem that -pix_fmt is constantly ignored by ffmpeg (currently biggest problem with ffmpeg)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pandy View Post

(or just use H.264 in single I lossless mode).

so the encoding command line what should it be?

However I use and old NLE (speed razor 5.51 or blade 2.2) that can not import natively mxf or mpeg2 files.
    It can import mxf and mpeg2 files via DirectShow but when I touch/scrub 15-20 clip it crashes because use too RAM, so I have to disable the directshow module "mediapostgeneric.rzf" of the nle. This way it can import only via VFW: for example I transcode the clip in mpeg2 or I can create an avi file using ffmpeg -vcodec copy that have default tag "mpg2", and do the association vidc.mpg2=ff_vfw.dll and installed FFdshow with "mpegINavi=libavcodec" and the nle import the clip but the first frame is black, and scrubbing shown deblocking and are not frame accurate (scrub1.jpg)

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRUB1.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	21315

Because of this I have to transcode in mjpeg, Speed Razor is working well in mjpeg but quality is a little lower.

I would try to transcode in h.264 and use FFdshow as decoder but I don't know if it work well.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRUB1.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	21314  

Quote Quote  
  4. Lossless "anything" will give you large filesizes . You complained earlier in another thread that they were too large

for interlaced, lossless encoding with x264
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i c0020.mxf -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv422p -preset veryfast -tune fastdecode -crf 0 -r 25.000 -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts keyint=1:tff=1 -an x264_output.avi
    You might chose slightly lower quality lossy encoding (higher crf ) , and using CBR encoding will help to improve seek performance slightly

scrubbing performance wise (decoding latency) , ut video (lossless) will be better than lossless x264 encoding, but larger filesizes . Ut video is probably the most popular the lossless codec of choise for most editing applications because of it's fast decoding performance

Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i c0020.mxf -vcodec utvideo -pix_fmt yuv422p -flags +ildct+ilme -an ut_output.avi
    Quote Quote  
  5. ffmpeg.exe -i c0020.mxf -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv422p -preset veryfast -tune fastdecode -crf 0 -r 25.000 -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts keyint=1:tff=1 -an x264_output.avi

quality is at the top, but large files.

Alternatively in the MJPEG case I wonder if it is possible to double the output bitrate with ffmpeg, for example:

can I encode @ 200 Mb/s in mjpeg?
    Quote Quote  
  6. -q:v 0 is the highest quality; you're already maxed out. You can only encode at 200Mb/s if the source allows you to (the higher the complexity of the content, the higher the bitrate)

Alternatively you can use libx264 with a higher crf value for smaller files e.g -crf 5 , or whatever value . And/or you can limit the max quantizer value
    Quote Quote  
  7. in the meantime I have try to use ffdshow as decoder for h264 files imported in VFW in my nle butit seems that this type of codec is infected by the same disease that afflicts the mpeg2 files with the FFdshow: first frame black, seeking not accurate ecc...

FFdshow don't manage correctly

Name:	X264FFD.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	21321
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try disabling h264/avc in ffdshow vfw decoder configuration, and use x264vfw (ffh264) as the decoder instead
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

It's time to use a modern NLE. It really is
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Try disabling h264/avc in ffdshow vfw decoder configuration, and use x264vfw (ffh264) as the decoder instead
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/
    do it but: import seems ok, no first black frame but jerky playback

Name:	X264_2.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	21322

poison, an answer? can I encode in mjpeg @ 200-300 Mb/s with fmpeg?

the wmv codecs ffdshow you feel good to do video editing?

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It's time to use a modern NLE. It really is
    I'm sure when I will have found a way to make good use of Speed ​​Razor also you to want you too my little nle son
    Quote Quote  
  10. Poison I have found on internet this attached codec:
    what is ffvfw.dll? it's not ff_vfw.dll of ffdshow

to install it on the system ad vfw codec you should right clic on the ffvfw.inf file and select Install (if you-don'thave-winXP)

Name:	FFVFW.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	21324

can I configure it as a mpeg2 I frame codec? and use it for decoding?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post

poison, an answer? can I encode in mjpeg @ 200-300 Mb/s with fmpeg?
    already answered above post #6

the wmv codecs ffdshow you feel good to do video editing?
    Not very good

Poison I have found on internet this attached codec:
    what is ffvfw.dll?
    I don' t know - it looks like a MPEG4 codec (probably ASP, like DivX, Xvid) . Probably not what you want, and only supports 4:2:0
    Quote Quote