VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm trying to put the main movie only on a BDR 25GB SL disc. Problem is with High Speed Option (BD-25) the output is usually around 12-15 GB, which seems small to me like it could be at least 20 GB. Through searching the most obvious solution is that ffdshow is the wrong version, well I used inspect and get an OK on everything. I am using the latest BDRebuilder 044.17 and ffdshow rev4504.

So then I try it it with crf one pass enabled, same outcome as 2 pass (High speed BD-25 option with nothing else selected). I have no codec packs installed either. I also tried custom size 23500MB, same outcome. Is my output supposed to be this small? If so, I just need an encode that gets me as close to 23 GB (to fit on BDR 25) as possible to fit on the single layer disc, I don't care about quality (as long as it's better than DVD). And I'd prefer the fasted encode time (I know that's dependant on CPU and cores) but the fastest I can setup in BDrebuilder to fit on BDR 25GB SL.

I've tried DVDFab and it always crashing at 21% for some reason, however BDRebuilder finishes. One other thing is my source is a bluray ISO on my hard drive. Also the audio is the strange setup 7.1 but I haven't unchecked Do not Convert DTS to AC3. (I've also tried ClownBD but it's too big and needs compression).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to tell you honestly what is happening. I can't promise you'll like it though.

The "You MUST use version XXXX or you WILL have problems!" warnings on the official BDRB website are a bit overblown. Your problem is NOT the ffdshow version. Change the version to whatever is blessed and I guarantee you that you will still have the same problem.

It's well known that sometimes BDRB will ignore directives to encode to specific sizes and either go way beyond the specified size or far below it. The author's minions on Doom9 will blame you for being stupid, for using version XXXX+1 instead of version XXXX of some program as specified, and so on. The fact is, this happens a lot. Nobody knows why. It's never been fixed. Any time you deviate from a full disc shrink from 50 GB to 25 GB you run the risk of this happening. So your "movie only" backup is to blame for this, and the only "fix" is to redo the backup with EVERYTHING from the disc being shrunk down to 25 GB. If there aren't a lot of extras, then doing that should at least get you a movie file that is a lot bigger than 12-15 GB, but it won't be the "movie only" backup you are hoping for. By the way, the author's DVD-Rebuilder program has the EXACT same problem at times, at least in the free version that i use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well with the amount of extras on the disc, the movie would still be compressed to right around 14gb or so maybe a little bigger, even if the full disc decided to work properly or I'd get a 14 GB disc with the movie being like 9 GB. If I could get the 7.1 DTS-MA to convert to 5.1 AC3 then I probably could fit it without reencoding the video, howeveron every program I try if I convert it to ac3 it errors out. I can get the core though, but if i try to convert the core to ac3 same problem as doing the original 7.1 DTS-MA to 5.1 ac3.

Weird, cause I do read about people getting 22 GB (roughly) movie backups most the time. I was also wondering if I put custom at like 40 GB, then it may inch it's way up to 20 GB. I've also yet to try average bit rate. Anyway, my guess is it always be too small or too big, 20 GB would be close enough for me. I have no idea why DVDFab just crashes at 21%, it hasn't crashed on anything else. I think it's just this movie, it's a pain. It also has multiple TS streams for the main movie, identical mpls main movie playlist, complex java menu and of course the strange setup with audio. Yeah about doom9 i signed up there to ask this very question and I have to wait 5 days to post WTF bahahaha.

EDIT:

BTW you're right about ffdshow. I first tried ffdshow thatwas just on windows 7 from a codec pack or something (which of course I've since uninstalled all codec packs) and same outcome around 14 GB. I also tried an older recommended ffdshow same outcome and finally the currently recommended ffdshow and guess what 14GB.
    Last edited by PatrickBatman; 13th Nov 2013 at 15:55. Reason: forgot something
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Can you post your log and configuration file please.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Can you post your log and configuration file please.
    I've ran this movie so many times in so many different ways I got into the habit of deleting the working folder everytime (and recycle bin) to get space back, including log thats in there with it.

Here's the config:
    Code:
    [Options]
    VERSION=0.44.0.17
    MODE=3
    ENCODE_QUALITY=5
    ONEPASS_ENCODING=1
    AUTO_QUALITY=0
    TARGET_SIZE=23500
    [Paths]
    SOURCE_PATH=N:\
    WORKING_PATH=D:\BDREBUILDER\
    I'll have to run it again for 7 hours before I could get you another log file, which i prefer doing right before I go to bed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I need to see the complete configuration file with all your settings. If you want run a high speed encode and post the entire BDREBUILDER.INI file along with a log
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PatrickBatman View Post
    Well with the amount of extras on the disc, the movie would still be compressed to right around 14gb or so maybe a little bigger, even if the full disc decided to work properly or I'd get a 14 GB disc with the movie being like 9 GB.
    Your assumption is NOT correct.

I don't have time to fool around here. Just for the heck of it, try to compress EVERYTHING to 25 GB size and come back here and post what size your movie ended up. If you don't want to do what I suggest, then I'm done here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    What are you using to decrypt? DVDFab crashes at 21% everytime? Maybe a bad rip?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by PatrickBatman View Post
    Well with the amount of extras on the disc, the movie would still be compressed to right around 14gb or so maybe a little bigger, even if the full disc decided to work properly or I'd get a 14 GB disc with the movie being like 9 GB.
    Your assumption is NOT correct.

I don't have time to fool around here. Just for the heck of it, try to compress EVERYTHING to 25 GB size and come back here and post what size your movie ended up. If you don't want to do what I suggest, then I'm done here.
    I don't have time to fool around here either hence that's why I'm not going to waste 7-8 hours just to tell you yep you were right. And my assumption is correct this movie has alot of extras so the movie itself will end being around 14 gb with the extras taking up the rest. I don't know why you got upset or whatever this is, your solution is not the answer i was looking for you like you said, so yes you're done here, unless you have any other suggestions on how to do what I asked regardless of which programs are used.

EDIT:
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    What are you using to decrypt? DVDFab crashes at 21% everytime? Maybe a bad rip?
    I currently use DVDFab passkey, I used to use demo AnyDVD until it wouldn't access their bluray decrytion keys database server until i bought the software. I planned on buying it until i ran into passkey. Could be a bad rip but I've watched the movie all the way through from the decrypted iso and it plays fine.
    Last edited by PatrickBatman; 13th Nov 2013 at 20:37.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Players can be very forgiving. They can appear to play properly even though it is a bad rip. By the way, jman98 was trying to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Players can be very forgiving. They can appear to play properly even though it is a bad rip. By the way, jman98 was trying to help you.
    Yeah players. I figured he was then seemed to get mad because I agreed with him, I'm believe him so it would be a waste of time to rip the full disc because that's not what I want. I don't have to use BDRebuilder, I just want some way to put the movie only on the disc without losing tons of GB.
    Last edited by PatrickBatman; 13th Nov 2013 at 21:14.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Try ripping the entire movie to the hard drive with MakeMKV. It is free to use while in beta, and all you need to do is update the beta keys each month or so: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

To rip the entire movie in blu ray format, click on File--> Backup.

Or, since you just want the main movie, you could also rip as an mkv, and use that as input into BD Rebuilder. To use an mkv as the source, hit File-->Import-->Video files within BD Rebuilder.

Since you've been having some issues with the fastest setting in BD Rebuilder, you might want to try a two pass encode. In the encoder settings, just put a check mark next to Idle Priority and one next to High Quality. Nothing else.

In the Settings-->Setup, make sure you are using the x264 internal LAV filters.

By the way, the latest version is 45.03.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 13th Nov 2013 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
  13. This time I tried ABR with high speed option (BD-25) cause I hadn't tried it yet, even worse final output 12.5 GB Anyway, here the log & BDREBUILDER.INI you requested.

LOG
    Code:
    ----------------------
    [11/13/13] BD Rebuilder v0.44.17 (beta)
    [17:09:12] Source:  TRANCE_00800
      - Input BD size: 29.93 GB
      - Approximate total content: [01:41:19.114]
      - Target BD size: 22.95 GB
      - Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
      - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
      - Quality: High-Speed Option (BD-25), ABR
      - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
      - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
    [17:09:12] PHASE ONE, Encoding
     - [17:09:12] Processing: VID_00800 (1 of 3)
     - [17:09:12] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00800]
     - [17:29:46] Reencoding video [VID_00800]
       - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
       - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 55,730 frames
       - Bitrate: 28,387 Kbs
     - [17:29:46] Reencoding: VID_00800, Pass 1 of 1
     - [20:12:04] Video Encode complete
     - [20:12:05] Processing audio tracks
       - Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
     - [20:12:05] Processing: VID_00801 (2 of 3)
     - [20:12:05] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00801]
     - [20:12:27] Reencoding video [VID_00801]
       - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 775 frames
       - Bitrate: 27,807 Kbs
     - [20:12:27] Reencoding: VID_00801, Pass 1 of 1
     - [20:14:34] Video Encode complete
     - [20:14:34] Processing: VID_00804 (3 of 3)
     - [20:14:34] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00804]
     - [20:39:07] Reencoding video [VID_00804]
       - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 89,248 frames
       - Bitrate: 27,542 Kbs
     - [20:39:07] Reencoding: VID_00804, Pass 1 of 1
     - [21:33:52] Video Encode complete
    [21:33:52]PHASE ONE complete
    [21:33:52]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
     - [21:33:52] Rebuilding BD file Structure
    [22:01:36] - Encode and Rebuild complete
    [22:01:36] JOB: TRANCE finished.
    BDREBUILDER.INI
    Code:
    [Options]
    VERSION=0.44.0.17
    MODE=3
    ENCODE_QUALITY=5
    ONEPASS_ENCODING=2
    AUTO_QUALITY=0
    TARGET_SIZE=23500
    [Paths]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Your INI file is missing way too many things. Delete BD_RB, download a new copy and let it create a new default INI file.
    I am assuming that your are not editing your INI file for posting purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. @Keery56 thanks I may try that after, after I try help from gonca. Yeah I know 45.03 is latest, I was trying different versions of BDRebuilder for troubleshooting purposes for this issue as well.

@gonca, ok I reinstalled the latest BDrebuilder again and got a longer INI file, i didn't alter the other one i dont know what happened. Also that target & custom size I altered myself just to test something (it was originally 23500 MB)

BDREBUILDER.INI
    Code:
    [Options]
    VERSION=0.45.0.3
    MODE=3
    ENCODE_QUALITY=2
    ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
    AUTO_QUALITY=0
    TARGET_SIZE=37500
    AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
    SUBS_TO_KEEP=all
    SD_CONVERT=0
    OPEN_GOP=0
    RESIZE_1080=0
    RESIZE_1440=0
    RESIZE_720=0
    DEINTERLACE=1
    SD_TO_1080=0
    CONVERT_WIDE=0
    DTS_REENCODE=0
    AC3_REENCODE=0
    AC3_640=1
    AC3_192=0
    KEEP_HD_AUDIO=0
    AVCHD=1
    REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
    MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
    REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
    USE_FILTERS=0
    BDMV_CERT_ONLY=0
    USE_LAVF=0
    IVTC_PULLDOWN=0
    ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
    UNMASK_CHAPTER=0
    COMPLETION_BEEP=0
    DGDECNV=0
    OUTPUT_3D=0
    NEROAAC=0
    SUPTITLE=0
    AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=1
    SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=1
    CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=37500
    [Paths]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    According to the log your movie should have been about 21GB. The bad INI might have something to do with that. You have to try an encode again. Use a custom value of about 28500MB for testing
    Quote Quote  
  17. OK problem solved (so I hope). Here's the deal, just in case someone else runs into this. It's the movie, Trance. Luckily, i still had my receipt took it back got another copy of it, ripped "fine" again, but again it was having identical issues. These issues were things like sync byte missing, discontinuity & transport error. Had these from the start even though the entire disc seemed to rip and decrypt/play without issue. I finally switched from passkey to Anydvd as the decrypter and I believed it handled/decrypted it better.

So if you ever get Trance you may get some issues with the "strange setup" audio, like converting it or reencoding it. My solution was use Anydvd and let it go online to get decrypter info for the movie. Still when going from 7.1 DTS-HD to 5.1 Ac3 (I used 448kbps, trying to reach target size) with Arcsofts decoder dll i'd get warning like skipping identical frames from seamless branching, also it lowers the volume.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    If the issue was the decryption you could try BD_RB again
    Quote Quote  
  19. ^Don't need to because now i can finally convert the audio and thats all it needed to be able to just barely fit on 25Gb BDR with reencoding video. Before it wouldn't let me convert the audio, so I thought I'd have to compress everything. But I will try BDRebuilder again eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have my doubts that the problem was decryption.

Occasionally, I've come across a BD with minor problems in the audio. (I have a few hundred BDs now). And this with both AnyDVDHD and DVDFabPasskey (which I now use). I suspect it's errors inherent in the audio, along with the fact that errors will sometimes trip up BDRB.

Whenever BDRB took a dump on the audio or gave weird results, I'd extract main movie with ClownBD (an EAC3to frontend), which works without fail, and BDRB never has a problem using it as input. Since I'm only interested in main movie, I now do it that way always.

The thing is, if you peruse the logs, errors in the audio are not all that uncommon. You'll see "sync byte error", "sync byte discontinuity", "clipping detected", and a few others that escape me at the moment. EAC3to will run a second pass and correct the problems. Note that such minor errors have no effect when playing the original disc on a standalone, or a straight rip on a software player.

It may be that I'm wrong, but there you are.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  21. I used ClownBD (0.81) as well, bot of course it was the codecs being used in eac3to having the problem with the audio not ClownBd itself. It would stop converting to AC3 and give a byte location where the error occurred,which also conincided with the "21%" area in DVDFab. (Note that keeping DTS-MA unconverted/uncompressed was no problem ever, which lead me to believe it wasn't the disc/copy of the movie but the converting the audio that was the problem) After trying a different disc of the same movie, the same problems happened again in the audio just at a different spot. Finally rerripping/decrypting "the different disc" with AnyDvd worked.

Whatever the problem was, it definitely had to do with the audio, whether it be the disc, decryption, # of channels etc
    Quote Quote  
  22. Yep, seen that too, though it's even more rare. I didn't mention it before so as not to go too far into possible complications if it proved unnecessary.

But you put your finger on it. And yes, very rarely eac3to won't be able to convert the audio, but if you leave it unconverted, you will invariably be able to extract main movie. And BDRB, Ripbot, etc, will have no problems with the main movie files you output from Clown_BD. Or anyway, I've never seen it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I know this is old now, but I wanted to add for anybody else who may come across this thread via a search is the best way to fill up a single layer 25 GB BDR without doing a double pass which takes twice as long is...Well first I will tell you what happens and if you're experiencing the same then continue reading to the solution.

PROBLEM:
    Doing any single pass (ABR or CRF) results in being significantly off enough from target 25 GB BDR size (23866 MB max actually). ABR usually too small, like 20GB or less, CRF unpredictable but usually over. Even if "Target Size BD-25" or "Custom Target Size 23866 MB" is selected, same outcome.

If you don't know why this is a problem because you're a NOOB, ABR (too small) means waste of space but more importantly video quality diminishes. CRF (too big) means you can't burn to disc at all (single layer anyway) Why don't I use dual layer, I will eventually but simply the cost is too much.

SOLUTION (avoiding 2nd pass):

Choose Settings>Setup
    Next to Custom Target Size (on right bottom) type 24400

Settings>Output Options
    Custom Target Size (24400MB)

Settings>Encoder Settings
    High-Speed Option (BD-25+)
    One Pass (ABR) Encoding

Should be well under a GB of space left each time, rather than 4GB+ or going over. I've done this several times now without problems. Only for seeable problem would be that it goes over just barely, if this were to happen (which it hasn't happened to me) just reduce the custom target size by a small amount.

(The secret weapon BTW is the 24400 because say your first attempt using 23866MB ABR gave you a 19GB final size, first thought would be to add 3 or 4 GB to 23866MB because that's about how much it was under with the 19GB final output size. Doesn't work that way, if you add 3 or 4 GB to 23866MB more than likely this time around your final output size would actually be closer to the custom target size you put in, which would be too big.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I've been lucky so far, as I've not come across any problematic titles "yet". I usually get pretty close to the specified output size too. I switch off between BD-RB and BDtoAVCHD (for no specific reason) and both work great. I always do two pass with the slowest, or second to slowest settings. It would have been interesting to see how BDtoAVCHD would have handled your initial undersize problem.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  25. Well yeah, you do 2 passes so you shouldnt run into a size problem. I'm talking about only doing one pass. The reason for me not doing 2 passes is that it would take my computer around 16 hours and even though i couldletit run while im sleeping that would only be 7-8 hours, leaving me with 8 hours where I couldnt use my computer cause it's a slow 2 Ghz laptop.

The only time I can reencode is when I'm sleeping because I use my computer for work the rest of the time and running BDRebuilder at the same time would be a bad idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say that's the difference between 1- and 2-pass encodes. With 1-pass you get a certain quality, but cannot foresee the filesize. With 2-pass you get the file size you prefer, but cannot foresee quality.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    With 1-pass you get a certain quality, but cannot foresee the filesize.
    You're referring to 1-pass CRF encodes but he's doing 1-pass ABR encodes so he has no guarantee of quality at all. In fact, doing 1-pass ABR encodes is probably the worst solution and inferior to doing 2-pass VBR encodes. It seems quality is taking a back seat here, in favor of speed and filling the disc. For best results leave it going overnight and do 2-pass encodes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thumbs up, manono. My fault on that CRF/ABR thing. You're absolutely right.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yeah, I never mentioned trying to get best quality, if thats what I was shooting for I'd buy 50 GB discs or a faster computer. Regardless 1 pass ABR's quality is still NOTICEABLY better than the DVD of the same movie. This was mainly aimed at people who only have single cores. 2 passes for me takes 14+ hours minimum.

I would do one pass CRF but as I already mentioned file size would be all over the place and a two pass CRF would take too long for me. But yeah, I guess you were just correcting Leghorn so nevermind hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  30. As a test I did CRF with 24400 MB Custom Target Size instead of ABR, figuring it would go over. I used the same exact copy of the same movie for both ABR & CRF tests.

Before BDRebuilder
    Source size (for both ABR & CRF):
    26.6 GB 28,666,440,975 bytes

After BDRebuilder
    ABR w/ 24400 MB Custom Target Size:
    23.1 GB 24,833,969,615 bytes

CRF w/ 24400 MB Custom Target Size:
    22.3 GB 24,041,411,615 bytes

Since I only tested this one time with one movie, it could just be the way this particular movie encodes or a fluke/happenstance.

So does this mean CRF is still better quality (than ABR) even though it's final output size is nearly one gigabyte smaller (than ABR)? If it is "better" will it be noticeable by eyes?

Quote Quote