VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I recently installed an LG bluray writer (WH14NS40) in my Vista system. It reads blank dvds, audio cds, and blu-rays perfectly. It also reads burned dvds that I have previously shrunk using dvd decrypter and dvdshrink (using another dvd-writer).

I have just discovered that it does not read store-bought dvds. VLC player, Windows Media Player, and dvd-decrypter will not recognize the dvds, giving me the error

Device Not Ready (Incompatible Medium Installed)

I am assuming this is a region issue, or some new copyright issue that I am experiencing for some reason since installing the drive, but I have no idea what.
    The fact that it reads burned dvds tells me that it's not the dvd-format itself that is the problem. I updated to the most recent LG firmware after experiencing this problem, but the problem remains.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Edit:

The problem is temporarily fixed using the Microsoft "Fixit" tool here:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Unfortunately, once I eject the disc and reload it, the original problem returns.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it were me, I would use either anydvd or dvdfab or makemkv for decryption instead of dvd decrypter which only will work for real old dvd titles.

You might have some other issues...I see you have install firmware and fiddled with MS.

First, try what I mentioned above and see what that does....I am not too crazy about WMP either...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    If it were me, I would use either anydvd or dvdfab or makemkv for decryption instead of dvd decrypter which only will work for real old dvd titles.

You might have some other issues...I see you have install firmware and fiddled with MS.

First, try what I mentioned above and see what that does....I am not too crazy about WMP either...

Well, like I said, I didn't touch the firmware until after I started having this problem, so that is not the cause of it. By "MS," do you refer to Windows? If so, I only used the "fixit" program that actually does fix the problem, although temporarily. But I'd really rather not have to run that thing everytime I want to use a DVD.

I will try the other decryption programs. I don't use WMP, but dvds used to start automatically with that program, and they no longer do.

Thanks for the response.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    The Registry has been screwed.
    Probably you will have to backup your files and applications, format the HDD, and do a clean re-install :–/

Originally Posted by blakean99 View Post
    I don't use WMP, but dvds used to start automatically with that program, and they no longer do.
    Disable AutoRun and AutoPlay, a PC is not a standalone CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    The Registry has been screwed.
    Probably you will have to backup your files and applications, format the HDD, and do a clean re-install :–/
    Wouldn't a system restore unscrew a registry problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is the writer new enough that you can just exchange it for another one and try that? I'd certainly do that before I'd completely reinstall or (better choice if you can) do a system restore as suggested. Based on what you read I can't rule out that there's simply a problem with the drive. If the drive is defective, all the other suggestions will make no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the replies.

The problem is now fixed. It must have been a combination of that "fixit" tool and starting to use DVDFab. Whatever it was, everything is working as it should now.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blakean99 View Post
    Hello!

I recently installed an LG bluray writer (WH14NS40) in my Vista system. It reads blank dvds, audio cds, and blu-rays perfectly. It also reads burned dvds that I have previously shrunk using dvd decrypter and dvdshrink (using another dvd-writer).
    Oh well, then you must have a genuine drive!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote