VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H motherboard with Windows 7 64-bit. This is a fresh installation of Windows. As far as I know ’ve installed all the motherboard drivers that are required for my PC to work correctly. Nothing has an exclamation mark in Device Manager.

I have an LG BH10LS38.AUAR Bluray drive with the latest firmware of L102.
    I burn a disc reading off an ISO on a single SATA II or SATA III internal hard drive. I burn several Blurays per day and at random maybe once per day once a disc has finished burning, ImgBurn will freeze or it will fail to verify at 0% and when I cancel the verification the program freezes and I have to close it in Task Manager under processes which takes ages as the PC freezes for several minutes.

When I reopen ImgBurn I get a pop-up saying I/O error, the parameter is incorrect. Screenshot.

I then notice that the drive doesn't show up as a destination in ImgBurn. Also that drive shows in My Computer but I can't do anything with it or it will not show in My Computer at all..

When a drive freezes I need to restart Windows for it to be seen by Windows again. So far I only get the problem when verifying a disc and it always fails verification at 0% yet the disc still plays fine. I have AnyDVD installed but I made sure it wasn’t running (I clicked exit on the tray icon) so it can’t be that which is causing the problem.

In Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I see the following listed:
    Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

I’m using the same discs and drive I’ve always used on my previous motherboard and I never had a problem on that so I don’t know what’s causing the problem on my new motherboard. I’m also using the same ImgBurn version: 2.5.8.0 and the default settings - I just changed the burn speed to 4x (max speed my discs support).

Is there some particular driver I need (apart from the Bluray drive firmware) to allow the drives to work properly? Should I install SPTD from http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads?

My motherboard DVD came with the following drivers (I’ve only mentioned the ones that might be relevant):
    Intel Management Engine Software
    INF Update Utility
    Marvell GSATA AHCI Driver

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

I’ve installed all the above drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Other than the mobo, sounds like the ONE reversible change is the burn speed. So put it back to the speed that worked consistently and test that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've always used 4x and it worked fine on my previous motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a faulty sata cable?Are you sure this motherboard has the marvell GSATA controller installed? If not and you did install this driver could mean a conflict with the intel controller.

Try another burn application to see if the problem is the same
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Could be a faulty sata cable?
    This.

Almost 3 years ago a new PC I built myself had an SSD boot drive, 2 BD burners, and 2 2TB disk drives for storage/work space. Everything was fine with the SSD and the burners, but one or both of the 2TB drives would simply vanish while the system was up. This caused all kinds of nasty problems with my PC. I went crazy trying to figure out what was going on and looked into firmware and various other things when finally somewhere I found a suggestion to change the SATA cables. See what had happened was that my 2TB drives were in the very bottom of the PC case and the SATA cables I was using had straight connectors. Those connectors could not get a firm connection seal when stretched. They worked fine on the other devices because those things were all closer to the motherboard connectors and the cables did not have to stretch. I went to Fry's and bought some brand new SATA cables that had bent connectors that look something like an L. I got a perfect seal on the connection with those and I have never had the disappearing drive problem again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks but I'm using L shaped connectors already.

The GSATA ports are unused - they are SATA III ports or when you use the 2 eSATA ports on the back of the PC it automatically disables the GSATA ports.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What program would you suggest I use instead of ImgBurn? I'm always burning 2 discs at once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you do get to read this (if I am not on your ignore list)........

Why don't you actually try what has been suggested and not just discount them.

1. Burn at below maximum rating. Just because you had no issues before it does not mean that you would not have issues now.

2. Try DIFFERENT cables. Swapping the old ones on to a new system could have damaged them. My gigabyte boards always came with some cables.

3. [a new one] Don't push your luck and do what most humans do. Just burn ONE disk at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Burning two disks at once. Is there ANYTHING ELSE unusual going on? Did you by any chance, at some time during assembly, witness smoke and possibly actual flame erupting from the motherboard and neglect to mention that?

That one just happens to be a personal favorite.

Simplify the problem in order to Isolate and Identify. Reduce the burn speed and change the cable. Takes seconds and eliminates a possible cause of the problem,

If you are so certain these are not necessary, why are you here asking questions instead of solving the problem yourself?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also check the power connectors on your drives.bad connections can cause this kind of problems.

Try the blu-ray drive on a system known to be good and do exactly the same procedure. this will ensure that the drive is ok.

Check the Windows event error log for IO errors recarding this drive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sounds like a compatibility problem between the LG burner and the M/B chipset. From the beginning there's been issues with SATA optical drives. That "parameter is incorrect message" is telling you that the drive didn't understand a command it received and that causes the drive to hang and disconnect from the bus, that's why it disappears.

You could replace the cable, they're cheap enough and the ones you got with the motherboard are not the top quality. Even if that's not the cause of the problem it's always worth it to upgrade to locking ones.

It's no surprise the disc still plays fine after, IMGburn had completed the burn and was starting the verify step. I don't see why you're wasting time doing that anyway, verify only tells you the burn didn't drop any bits. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of your burn, the way a scan with something like DiscSpeed would. And even that is going overboard on every burn, maybe scan the odd disc from every new spindle just to keep on top of the quality of your media.

You are using quality media? If not, don't bother verifying/scanning, the discs won't be any good in 5 years. In fact, if your only problem is with verify, just launch it manually after the burn.
    Quote Quote