VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm thinking about getting the portable projector in this video. It gave me some pretty good ideas for outdoor gaming but at 700 i wonder if its a rip off or not. I've never purchased a projector before. Anyone here give me their opinion?

Quote Quote  
  2. I would have thought there would be a thread on that model in the AVS forum, PJ sub-forum. But I couldn't find it; has it just been released? The closest recent model may be this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children

It's LED DLP, okay. No changing expensive bulbs. WXGA (1280x800). Only 500 lumens, though, not so good. And I don't believe those contrast numbers, not for a second. Compare those to the PA75U.

To understand lumens, you need to know that:

Projector lumens X Gain of screen / square feet of screen = foot lamberts (FL).

The industry standard for movie projection is 16 FL, which is almost never met, BTW. Recommended for Home Theater is 16-50 FL, with 30 or so most often recommended. With DLP, claimed lumens at the projector is somewhat deceiving; 60% of the stated figure may be more accurate, even less if calibrated. (That's just opinion though). 32 FL, say, is not twice as bright as 16 FL; it's logarithmic.

That PJ is not good enough for a HT, IMO, even if it wasn't just 1280x800. but you'll have to decide if it suits your purpose. I think for projecting outdoors it'll be pretty dim if projected on anything other than a screen with decent gain. The larger the projected image, the dimmer it'll be.

Why don't you start a thread in the Projector sub-forum over at AVS?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote