VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Dear friends.

By the advices of this forum I bought TBC 3000 and TBC 4000 (instead of TBC 1000, because I had good prices equal to TBC 1000. But now I'm not sure the do the same as TBC 1000, maybe they need some kind of synchronization between sources, I don't know, but I'm sure they should work separately only).

So, TBC 3000 do its job the same as nothing... I just using it for "proc amp" (improve color, brightness).

I'm using S-Video input. I didn't even try to use composite...because I worry it gives worser quality... And I think it should affect S-Video inputs too...

So, I would like to try AVToolbox AVT-8710. I found 3 versions on eBay: green, black (i think it is newer) and blue.
    What is difference between versions?

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you using full-frame tbc's? Their use is to defeat many forms of copy protection and to ensure audio-video timing sync. Other than some basic brightness/contrast controls on some models, that's basically all they do. They don't otherwise "improve" analog tapes, don't correct line timing problems such as crooked lines and are ineffective for most forms of jitter such as caused by tapes "bouncing" round against the tape heads.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    What do you suggest then?

Picture jumps. I tried on different VCR's (I have JVC 9800, 7600 and Sony). Some problems got out with Panasonic DMR-1000. But I want to use Time Base Corrector too...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about the problem, but not certain what you mean by "picture jumps". Does that mean bad vertical frame hopping where the entire frame and borders skip up and down and parts of the picture disappear, or a mix of vertical and horizontal jitter (also called "projector hop")? If the the TBC-3000 that you tried earlier had no effect on the problem, then the other two TBC's will have no effect either -- all three models are basically the same TBC.

The Panasonic player you mentioned is not a "DMR-1000". It's probably the HS1000 S-VHS VCR, which has a line-level tbc built-in and I believe also has some manner of frame sync circuitry on output (owners of the HS1000 can correct me on this). Apparently the problem is such that you require a line-level TBC and a better tape transport. The two JVC players might not be effective because (a) you don't have their built-in tbc turned on, or (b) they need alignment and other maintenance, or (c) the tape could be so badly damaged that a JVC can't manage it, which is often a problem with JVC. But according to your narrative above, if the TBC model you used had no effect, then a full-frame TBC by itself won't help.

You can also try a work-around by using an older DVD recorder as a line-tbc pass thru unit. It would be connected to the output of the tape player, with any other tbc or capture device/proc amp connected after that. But not all DVD-R's can be used for pass-thru. There are several forum threads on the use of DVD recorders as pass-thru devices for VHS capture. One of the threads is here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-what-do-you-use . In any case. with badly damaged tape you have to begin with a player or one that has better alignment and a more stable tape path, and some form of line-level TBC.

The AVT-8710 is a popular frame TBC, but you should buy it from a reputable electronics dealer. There are many cheap and defective rip-off copies of the product sold everywhere by flight-by-night shops and auction sites. Of the images that you posted in post #1, the bottom image looks like a cheap AVT-8710 copy, the middle image looks like one of the newer units, and the top image (green) is the most familiar. But you can't go by color or photos.

One of several world-wide professional online video shops with a good reputation for service:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276891-REG/AV_Toolbox_AVT_8710_AVT_8710_Multi_St...Time_Base.html
    The TBC-1000 has been discontinued.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SVHS VCR TBC = clean the image
    External TBC = purify the signal

You need both.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Uh, yes. I might not have got that specific point across: likely will need a line-tbc and a frame-tbc.
    And a VCR that's in better working order.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Dear friends, it jumps not in full frame.It jumps a little all the way playing tape.

Some tapes (lillte quantity) don't have this effect. So, what can I do? It is service for my VCR needed or it just tape and nothing can be done?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the entire frame doesn't bounce, but only the image within the frame, a full-frame AVT-8710 or TBC-1000 likely will not have the desired effect -- which is something you have already noticed with the TBC you used earlier. As you stated, another VCR solved the problem. So it would appear that the JVCs have difficulty tracking the tape (not unusual). This is one reason why many users have more than one player.

IF you can post a short sample of the video in the forum, we would know exactly how the video appears. At this point, we are making calculated guesses about how to solve the problem.
    Quote Quote