VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, I've been googling for a while now searching for an answer, and even if there is one I can't understand it due to it all being in programmer jargon, so I decided to try here. :P

Anyway, to better understand where this is all coming from, I'll give you the backstory. Years ago, I decided I wanted to record some gaming. Now my friends helped me out and had me get Fraps, I could record - yay! Now as you might be aware, the raw video files are huge, so I had to work on them to make them suitable for YouTube, or anything, really. Luckily one of said friends was a programmer and he walked me through a method of doing just so, very step by step I might add, as I had no programming knowledge whatsover, and still don't. It worked great, and I was able to upload to YouTube to my heart's content. I also wrote down the step by step instruction for future use. I've since used it a few times, but it's been a long time since the last.

There, now to my current issue. I haven't done any recording for about 2 years now, and haven't had to use those instructions for video work. Today, I wanted to do some recording again, and did so. Now I'm trying to follow these old instructions but I've hit a snag. To add to this, between the last time I did this and now, I've upgraded my computer, and copied over somethings including Fraps and those instructions. What I've had to reacquire were files necessary for the encoding - x264, ffmpeg and Nero AAC Encoder, and placed them all in their own folder. I don't know if the new versions are giving me trouble or something else.

Before I start rambling further, let me copy the step by step instructions onto here (they're really short and easy!).
    1. Use Virtualdub to remove the sound - Save WAV

2. Do a command prompt on the folder where the movie is (Shift + Right-Click)

3. Write "x264 -o Outputfile.mp4 (filename).avi"

4. Continue the command prompt and write "neroaacenc -lc -q 1 -if (filename).wav -of output.aac"

5. Once more in the command prompt, write

6. "ffmpeg -i (videofilename).mp4 -i (soundfilename).aac -vcodec copy -acodec copy output_muxed.mp4"

That's it!
    It's on the 3rd step I'm finding my issue. After entering the line into the command prompt, all it gives me is "x264 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Now I don't know if this is because of it being in the wrong folder, if there's something wrong with the x264 I downloaded, or something else entirely. Maybe it's something super easy and stupid and my lack of programming skills is holding me back, I don't know. What I do know is, the instructions shouldn't be the issue as they're the exact same as I followed 2 years ago, and it was all fine and dandy then. :P

So, now the question falls to you; think you can solve this dastardly problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    line 3

sounds to me that you x264.exe is missing in that folder, or the folder location/name is missing.

make sure x264.exe is in the same folder where you are running that command line or batch file from.
    Quote Quote  
  3. x264.exe needs to be in the current folder or the search path. The same for neroaacenc.exe and ffmpeg.exe. You can either put copies of the EXE files in a folder that's already in your search path, or add the folders where those EXE files are to the search path. At a command prompt type "PATH" to see the search path.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh man, that was it! I don't recall the files needing to be in the same folder the last time I did it, but eh, who knows. I feel silly now, such an easy mistake, but hey! Thanks! That's what I needed you for.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you put them in "C:\Windows" they'll be available anywhere you use them. That folder is always in your search path. Well, unless you have Windows installed somewhere else.
    Quote Quote