VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone or has anyone tried capturing a video from a Roku via hdmi? If so, what capture hardware did you use?
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried a hauppauge hdpvr 2?

The hdpvr 1 is component only. The hdpvr 2 has hdmi in.

Edit - there is at least one other settop usb model that has hdmi in. Don't know the name off hand though.

Otherwise you'll have to get an hdmi to component adapter to use other older hd capture units that don't have hdmi. But quality will suffer some since it will depend on the quality of the converter box.

edit 2 - and no I haven't tried it myself as I don't have either a roku or a hdmi in capture device. But I do have a hauppauge 1 which I have used many times to capture hd off of a xbox 360, ps3 and a cable box. Via component cables that is.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the HDMI signal coming from the Roku is encrypted (I have no idea whether it is or is not) the Hauppauge devices will not be able to capture it. Just a potential warning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If the HDMI signal coming from the Roku is encrypted (I have no idea whether it is or is not) the Hauppauge devices will not be able to capture it. Just a potential warning.
    Probably the premium services are I imagine.

Youtube and vimeo and the like should not be.

But again I can't confirm or deny that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would expect that all HDMI output is HDCP protected. It's simpler for the manufacturer that way, especially since Roku's product line is geared more towards watching paid services than towards watching local media files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I would expect that all HDMI output is HDCP protected. It's simpler for the manufacturer that way, especially since Roku's product line is geared more towards watching paid services than towards watching local media files.
    Good point.

But it would be interesting if it WERE split up based on services.

Though I found it interesting on cnet that they mentioned a roku model that lacked a usb port for media files as that was too "geeky" for most users.

But then again if the vast majority of buyers of that product just buy it to use it for netflix/hulu/amazon I guess they do have a point.

Thank goodness for wdtv KEEP THE GEEKS HAPPY! (though there are still multiple roku models and this was a cheaper model they were reviewing, besides I wouldn't rely on a roku for file playback anyway).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    (though there are still multiple roku models and this was a cheaper model they were reviewing, besides I wouldn't rely on a roku for file playback anyway).
    I have one and I do. Through Plex it plays about anything. I don't use the USB port, though, but stream from a computer. I use it for a mix of file playback from the computer. Amazon Instant Prime, and the free Roku channels.

I'd be curious, too, if somehow it could be made to capture some of the channels. Apparently not, though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can get an HDCP stripper for about US$25:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers?p=2276498&viewfull=1#post2276498

Then you can use any HDMI recording device. I've personally used one of these to record HDCP protected HDMI sources using an Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, and an ElGato Game Capture HD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Roku's HDMI output has HDCP encryption so just plugging it directly into any capture device with a HDMI input will probably not work. What you will need to do is bypass the encryption. There is a Videohelp thread that that discusses how to do this by using various fairly inexpensive HDMI splitters (See link below).

Please note that there are various of these devices available and you can have several that look exactly alike except for the printing on the actual device and or model number, but even though they look the same there are some that will remove the HDCP protection & some that won't. So be sure to do your research and read the thread below.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Last edited by KTH; 2nd Nov 2013 at 23:17. Reason: Forgot to mention something
    Quote Quote  
  10. By the way, none of the devices is advertized as HDCP strippers. In most countries that would be illegal. All the ones I've seen are advertized as HDMI splitters. They just happen to remove HDCP for devices that don't support it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I pulled an old ADS DVDExpressdx2 capture box out, looked at my oldest roku and found it has composite out, so I tried it and it works, but doesn't offer 16:9, I'm wondering if the newer devices that capture composite capture in 16:9? Anyone know?

I think I will be looking for an HDMI Splitter and giving that a try as well, but I will want something that captures in 16:9
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I pulled an old ADS DVDExpressdx2 capture box out, looked at my oldest roku and found it has composite out, so I tried it and it works, but doesn't offer 16:9, I'm wondering if the newer devices that capture composite capture in 16:9? Anyone know?
    Standard definition capture devices don't capture 16:9 or 4:3. They capture the full standard definition analog frame. It's the device that's putting out the signal that determines whether the content of the picture is 4:3 or 16:9. If the device is putting out a 16:9 picture in a 4:3 DAR frame, that's what you get with all SD capture devices. If the device is putting out a 16:9 DAR "anamorphic" picture that's what you get -- though it may be flagged incorrectly by the capture device.

Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I think I will be looking for an HDMI Splitter and giving that a try as well, but I will want something that captures in 16:9
    If the device is putting out 16:9 you'll get a 16:9 cap via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post

Capture via composite is limited to 720x480 resolution for NTSC (NTSC is what we have in N. America). It would only be possible to capture 16:9 as anamorphic widescreen at that resolution. To get anamorphic widescreen, your Roku would need to have an output setting that provides it for its composite output.

Chances are the only output option for composite is 4:3 letterboxed (to display widescreen content on a 4:3 TV), but at this point nobody can help you find out if there is another option that will provide anamorphic widescreen because you haven't given the model number for your "oldest Roku" or your new one so someone can download the manual to look or try their own similar unit.

[Edit]All the HD capture devices I have seen with HDMI input can capture at the resolution and aspect ratio they receive as input, as long as it falls within their specs. The maximum is usually either 1080i or 1080p30.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Nov 2013 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [Edit]All the HD capture devices I have seen with HDMI input can capture at the resolution and aspect ratio they receive as input, as long as it falls within their specs. The maximum is usually either 1080i or 1080p30.
    Actually, there are a few now that can scale while capturing. Some accept a 1080p60 signal as input but capture it as 1080p30 (or lower resolution). And there are a very few that can capture 1080p60 as 1080p60.

The ElGato Game Capture HD and the Hauppuage HD PVR II can scale while capturing. For example a 720p source can be downscaled and recorded as 480p. They can also record 1080p60 sources as 1080p30, 720p30, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Actually, there are a few now that can scale while capturing. Some accept a 1080p60 signal as input but capture it as 1080p30 (or lower resolution). And there are a very few that can capture 1080p60 as 1080p60.

The ElGato Game Capture HD and the Hauppuage HD PVR II can scale while capturing. For example a 720p source can be downscaled and recorded as 480p. They can also record 1080p60 sources as 1080p30, 720p30, etc.
    Maybe that information will be helpful to the OP, but I already knew some HD capture devices can scale to a different resolution and frame decimate 1080p60 to 1080p30 or scale and frame decimate 1080p60 to 720p30. That's why I said every one I have seen "can capture at the resolution and aspect ratio they receive as input, as long as it falls within their specs." not that they "can only capture at the resolution and aspect ratio they receive as input, as long as it falls within their specs."

..and by the way I am a slow writer and often fail to look to make sure that nobody else has written a reply. The post you quoted in part was not in any way meant to correct what you wrote.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Nov 2013 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I will be trying this using my to-be-delivered TimeLeak HD72a which supports, maximally, 1080p24, through an HDMI splitter. I will re-order the auto-negotiation of both devices on the splitter, HDTV and HDMI capture card, to test if there is any way I can get the 1080p24 card to capture the 1080p60 stream, but, if that fails, I will set the Roku display setting to 720p, which is supported.

On Roku's support page they write the following: http://support.roku.com/entries/423921-How-can-I-play-a-movie-file-in-1080p-using-the-...layer-channel-

"The Roku USB Media Player channel cannot auto-detect the resolution of movie files. All HD movie files will be played automatically in 720p if your Roku player display type is set to HD (either “HDTV 720p” or “HDTV 1080p). To play a 1080p movie in 1080p via USB, you must do the following:Connect your Roku player to a 1080p TV. (Currently, all Roku players with USB ports are capable of 1080p video output.)
    • Change your display type to “HDTV 1080p.” From the Roku home screen, go to Settings > display type.
    • Add “1080p” to the movie file name using your PC or Mac. (Example: Easy.Rider.1080p.mp4.)
    1080p movies will play by default at 30 FPS. If your movie was encoded at 24 FPS, add “1080p24” or “1080p-24” or “1080p_24” to the movie file name to direct the Roku USB Media Player channel to play that movie at 24 FPS. (Example: The.Graduate.1080p24.mp4.)"

The Roku statement is pregnant with information. It suggests both that the Roku can be made to output 1080p24, manually, at least using their USB media driver app, and perhaps automatically for other apps.

We'll see.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here's a follow-up from the Roku support page: http://support.roku.com/entries/268376-Can-I-play-1080p-video-content-on-my-Roku-player-

Can I play 1080p video content on my Roku player?

Roku Support
    posted this on September 22, 2010 17:56

Yes, if you have a Roku player that supports 1080p video playback. The Roku current XD and Roku XDS models are capable of 1080p playback, as well as the classic HD-XR via the most recent software release. You will need to use a HDMI cable to connect the Roku player to your TV.

Viewing 1080p video requires the following:

1. A 1080p capable HD television that supports 1080p24 and/or 1080p30.
    2. A Roku XD, XDS or HD-XR player with the display type settings set to “HDTV 1080p.”
    3. A HDMI connection between the XD, XDS or HD-XR player and your television.
    4. 1080p video provided by a channel that supports 1080p playback. To date, there is very little 1080p content available for streaming playback on the Roku player. Major partners, like Netflix, Amazon and MLB, do not stream in 1080p.

NOTE:
    Only 1080p24 and 1080p30 playback is supported on the Roku player. 1080p60 playback is not supported. Also, 1080p is supported on video playback only, the Roku user interface will be displayed at 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Wow that info on their support page is old. Good luck.

Last I checked, the Roku 2 incorrectly used integer refresh rates for all sources instead of the correct x/1001 rates, causing stutter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What a useless device!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hehe, but as vaperon800 points out that information is three years old, and several newer models have been introduced since then. Originally it was mainly a streaming video box with little file-playing support. It's made big strides since then and now is a much better file player while the streaming is still unmatched. I don't know anything about the 'integer refresh rates' so can't address that. I do notice stutter from time to time but figure it's because of using PAL sources sometimes, or incompetent encoders (lots of incompetence in various channels). The stutter of playing a 29.97fps source at 30fps shouldn't create but one dupe frame every 40 seconds or so and be barely noticeable. But, as I said, I don't know anything about that.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The shortest answer is, "Yes." 720p is easy. Roku settings allow the box to display 720p, and, since the capture card supports 720p, no problems.

1080p is a bit trickier since the capture card only supports 1080p24, but the Roku, which allegedly supports 1080p24, presents a 1080p display setting that lacks 1080p24 granularity, and automatically attempts 1080p60. Negotiating the Roku down to 1080p24 requires interaction with the capture card when it is advertising 1080p24 capability, without or before a competitive negotiation from the 1080p60 TV which is also on the splitter.

I did manage to get this to happen once, but my PC crashed after I tried to save the captured file. (Longer story). I'm fairly certain it can be done gracefully and repeatedly without crashing my PC. If I figure it out, I will follow up with the method.

(BTW, My LG Smart BluRay player does present a 1080p24 display setting, and is therefore easy to capture.)
    Quote Quote