VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. New Beginner
    Search Comp PM
    Hi people,
    Just wanted to start off saying that I Used this site for many years periodically and am now a Member Here. Thanks for being an Open Forum to Register.

Having a difficult time wanting to Convert or Shrink Movies to a Small Size. I'll give you an example.

Men In Black 3 (2012).avi was downloaded and is 1.35 GB (1,459,574,564 bytes) (AVI)

Looking to downsize a bit and still keep quality. Would this be a Conversion or a Shrink of somehow?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Martinfin: 1.35 GB is already a reasonable size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not to mention that it's a copyrighted film and you're trying to discuss warez.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Martinfin View Post
    Looking to downsize a bit and still keep quality. Would this be a Conversion or a Shrink of somehow?
    Having frequented the forum for a while, you likely know by now that reducing bitrate and maintaining quality are two things that he laws of physics will not allow at the same time. The video you mention already seems fairly low-Q to begin with, so keep that in mind.

You reduce size by reducing bitrate (=reducing quality).
    Or reduce file size by downsizing the frame size (=inferior playback on large screens).
    In any case, you will have to re-encode the video (=quality loss, the degree of loss depending on how it's done).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. New Beginner
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Not to mention that it's a copyrighted film and you're trying to discuss warez.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29?
    You are right. It was gave to me to to see if I could reduce the Size. But You are wrong about 1 thing. I was in No Shape or Form trying to discuss Warez. I have proof that I purchase almost everything I own. All my Movies I own anyhow are store bought. I thought I was allowed to BACKUP? I mean, If I'm wrong... I'll throw them out. Someone correct Me on this.

On another Note: I was discussing the answer to the question: "Looking to downsize a bit and still keep quality. Would this be a Conversion or a Shrink of somehow?"

This has been answered already.

Sorry to have upset so many people. That was clearly not my intention.

Please get back with Me if You can on answer to BACKUP. I really could use an answer.

Thank You,.
    Quote Quote  
  6. New Beginner
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    You reduce size by reducing bitrate (=reducing quality).
    Or reduce file size by downsizing the frame size (=inferior playback on large screens).
    In any case, you will have to re-encode the video (=quality loss, the degree of loss depending on how it's done).
    Thank you. Answered Me fully.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Martinfin View Post
    But You are wrong about 1 thing. I was in No Shape or Form trying to discuss Warez.

Please get back with Me if You can on answer to BACKUP. I really could use an answer.
    So, this quotation is incorrect?

Men In Black 3 (2012).avi was downloaded and is 1.35 GB (1,459,574,564 bytes) (AVI)
    Quote Quote  
  8. New Beginner
    Search Comp PM
    But You are wrong about 1 thing. I was in No Shape or Form trying to discuss Warez.

So, this quotation is incorrect?

No, No. You are correct. It was a download that was giving to me. I own all Men In Black. 1,2 and 3. You are absolutely correct on this. I should have not mentioned it. But I am honest of the fact it was gave to me to Compress? or Shrink if you will. Should have said it was called HomeMovie-1.mp4 to shrink to an Avi. Either way You would be helping me by answering the question. I'm sorry I did that.

Let's get off the Subj Warez as it is in the rules and I made a mistake to even mention it. You are quoting me on this reply to whether or not it is Legal or not to Backup my Originals. That is my Second question in the Thread. I see it all over this site explaining How to RIP, Burn and whatever. I just would like to learn that's all.

I' am very sorry to have upset You. That was not my Intention as I said before. I made a mistake and would like to contiue further in learning. If You are a Mod or Admin. Kick Me and You'll never hear me bother anyone again on this. I'll continue trying out some Softeare that is Infiltrated with Spyware and Adware, You name it. Just wanting to learn that's all. Let get along. I am publicly saying I'm Sorry for the Foolishness I brought on with the question. I Could have lied. (Should have) to save my Embarrassment.

If You accept my Apology, I will not make another mistake like that. (No Garentees I won't mess up in Future on anything)

To Mods or Admin:
    I Jake Roberts, (Martinfin) Apologize for my ignorance of asking a question that may or may not have been about Warez.

Reason I say "May Not" is because I convert all my Movies to .AVI and back them up in case they get scratched to where I have to Buy the DVD again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Martinfin View Post
    Either way You would be helping me by answering the question.
    Don't use an already reencoded AVI to make a smaller AVI. Use your DVD copy of the film to make a backup at whatever size you want. AutoGK is easy enough to use for DVD to XviD or DivX conversions. You can also use it to make that AVI smaller, if you like.

And just use more common sense next time and understand you can put the site owner in a difficult position by being careless.
    Quote Quote  
  10. New Beginner
    Search Comp PM
    Either way You would be helping me by answering the question.
    Don't use an already reencoded AVI to make a smaller AVI. Use your DVD copy of the film to make a backup at whatever size you want. AutoGK is easy enough to use for DVD to XviD or DivX conversions. You can also use it to make that AVI smaller, if you like.

And just use more common sense next time and understand you can put the site owner in a difficult position by being careless.
    I understand. It won't happen again....
    Quote Quote