VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Sony Movie Studio Platinum suite 12 (64bit)

I downloaded the Vegas filter pack
    http://www.mikecrash.com/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

The zip file downloads OK .. and install seems to run fine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	grab1a.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	20732

However once complete I go into Movie Studio and none of the filters show, for example in this 'all' Video Fx view .. would expect to see"Dynamic noise reduction" for example :

Name:	grab2a.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	20733

Welcome advice from anybody who has got these to install & work
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm thinking those 32bit vdub filters won't show up in a 64bit application
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a Filters folder that includes 32 bit ... so it does allow mix n match (I think)

Name:	grab3.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	20734
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't really use vegas anymore, but I'm guessing the install directory from that pack might be different than newer versions vegas' directory structure

Snoop around the vegas 32bit plugin filter folder and look around for where that pack installed the filters - you might be able to move or copy/paste them
    Quote Quote  
  5. It does seem it is a placing issue ...
    The filter pack install creates a folder "Filters" in following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Filters

There are some files in the (x86) folder but the main program and and folders are installed in :
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Movie Studio Platinum 12.0

There is no 'Filters folder', tried dropping 'folder in' - no joy
    Tried dropping individual filter.dll into various folders - no joy

Noticed that 3rd party filters packs are in separate locations ...
    i.e C:\Program Files\NewBlue\VideoFX for Sony Vegas MSPPS

Assume there are then pointers to tell Vegas what to load.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looking closer at your screenshot - "32bit floating point" isn't a 32bit filter in the sense we're talking about (x86 vs x64)- it's the level of precision that the filter does calculations at . For example, vdub filters and most avisynth work in 8bit precision (they only work on 2^8=256 values per channel)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ ...." is definitely 32bit - but we already know most vdub filters are 32bit

"C:\Program Files\Sony\..." is defintely 64bit

Your other 3rd party filters are probably 64bit hence the host application can "see" them

Also if you don't get any answers here, you might ask at the sony vegas forum, or vdub forum, or mikecrash (if there is a forum there) - but you usually need 64bit filters for 64bit applications
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 22nd Oct 2013 at 12:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK thnx .. ... also popped a mail to the Filters author

I guess I was hoping there was something as simple as a Filter or PlugIn folder I could drop them in, but it seems not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK .. had it advised that 32bit filters will NOT run on 64 bit install ... bummer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another option: Your Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum should be a dual-install disc, including both the 32bit & 64bit versions.

On a separate Partition/Drive, Install a 32bit OS (Win7/8), then SVMSHDP 32, then the Vdub & other 32bit plugins & filters you want to use (remembering to be extra safe & first decouple your current working 64bit boot drive so you don't have any accidental adverse interactions).

Then you just swap in your BIOS which drive/partition to boot from. Some jobs might need 32bit filters and then 64bit filters, so you do intermediate lossless renders.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. an option ... need to give that some thought
    Quote Quote