VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys ..

I wanted to know how can I *apply* Blu-ray encryption (AACS, BD+, etc) to my own AVCHD/Blurays ? Is this possible somehow ? I just wanted to try it out as it seems exciting .. I've searched online, but haven't found anything directly addressing this topic ..

Do Blu-ray Authoring tools provide this maybe ? Or maybe some other small commandline/GUI based program which can encrypt an ISO directly by generating AACS key pairs or something ?

Just thought I'd ask ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not a chance.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the more appropriate response is - even if you could what would the point be?

The only encryption that has yet to be defeated that hollywood has put out is cinavia for the audio portion (though apparently it can technically be beaten by reducing the audio levels so much it isn't worth saving). But the point being if you could put it on your own creation the same tools that break hollywood discs would be used to break your own discs.

As has been mentioned its best just to give your own created material to trusted associates only. (not your own backups that's theft/stealing/robbery etc...)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    The only encryption that has yet to be defeated that hollywood has put out is cinavia
    Not encryption, watermarking. I guess you don't consider them to be "Hollywood" but DVD-A's similar watermark is also undefeated, and SACD is uncracked but exploited via the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @ahmadka, as wasteful a pursuit as I also think it is (I agree with the comments above), to apply encryption to DVD or BD (or DVD-Audio, or SACD), the ONLY way to do it is is to use a more professional authoring application, set the settings to flag inclusion of encryption, save/export/burn to a disc, or discimage on HDD, etc., then ship it to a replication plant ($$$) where THEY apply the encryption during their mass run of 1000s of stamped copies.

If you are not willing to do all that, it is NOT possible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Scott said it all, and so I had to change the first paragraph of this post

Besides, I still don't know the reason why the people from countries like India and Pakistan keep looking for the Holy Grail called "the amateur-friendly copy-protection schemes".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They got hooked back when one could home-roll a sector-obfuscating CD (whether AudioCD or VideoCD), mainly because burners had fuller control over the whole sector when burning CDs. This is not possible with DVDs nor BDs, as they must use only the USER Data portion of the discs' sectors, plus the standard UDF format which modern set-tops rely on logically moreso than the physical sectors that legacy devices relied on. This results in limiting the things one COULD do to sectors because previously PCs and set-tops behaved differently and now they really don't.

Since that time, they have been enticed by the claims of ArcCOS and other similar IFO/VOB-scrambling schemes, which seem to give the impression that those previous technologies have crossed over into DVD/BD-land. They haven't. DVD/BD encryption schemes are ALL complicated schemes all built upon CSS/AACS, and ALL are applied ONLY at the replication factory. But INCEPTION has already occurred, so good luck trying to get it out of their heads...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, that's an overwhelming response ... thanks for all your answers ...

Actually I was just curious if it can be done at one's own home or not, like maybe generate a public/private SSH key pair or something .. I don't want to mass replicate anything, and I just wanted to try it on my own .. The idea of AACS encrypting my own homemade HD stuff seemed exciting (yeah I'm a nerd)

I just thought maybe it can be done like generating a self-signed key/certificate or something ... But if this involves mass replicating at some replication plant then no I'm not interested
    Quote Quote