VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    - SOLVED - see post # 14

i know opera provides this feature automatically, and chrome only supports it if the browser crashes--it present the option to open last opened tabs. but firefox doesn't seem to offer this feature, or did i miss something ?
    Last edited by vhelp; 24th Oct 2013 at 18:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So far when Firefox crashes here and I restart it. It asks if I want to start a new session or continue where I was. If you continue it should open up just like it was before the crash. (will all tabs)

Is that not happening with your Firefox when it crashes?

This link explains how to do it when doing a normal exit and you want tabs saved:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-restore-my-tabs-last-time?redirectlocale...indows+on+exit
    Last edited by TreeTops; 20th Oct 2013 at 19:11.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i haven't had a crash in firefox. so no experience. only chrome. that's why i mentioned with that one.

does firefox offer saving/restoring tabs ? like opera ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that method did not work. followed to the letter. actually, was nothing to it. but it did not offer the 'Restore..." option. it was grayed out.

same for the *new* method i discovered afterwards. this seems to be what i want to set my browser to, but it is grayed out. does this show for you ?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no. it's selectable here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i just installed the latest version 24.0 but the option mentioned in post # 4 is still grayed out. moreover, the restore is also still grayed out. closing down through the menu/exit does *NOT* restore my tabs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shouldn't be greyed out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-20_215850.png
Views:	665
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	20695
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Not greyed out here either. Version 24.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm using xp home.

what os are you guys using ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a add-on issue. Do you have Tab Mix Plus installed?
    Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not greyed out for me either. I'm running 24.0 on XP Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i'm using xp home.

what os are you guys using ?
    Try for test portable version: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
    If portable version don't have no problem, that mean something in you profile cost this
    Or you have set in Firefox "never remember history" / "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session" ?
    Last edited by roma_turok; 24th Oct 2013 at 01:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    where ? i don't see that option anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    roma_turok, that did it ! ! !

i found the setting under menu\Tools\Options\Privacy, and go to History section.

now the option to set, 'show my windows and tabs from last time' shows.

thanks ! ! !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    new question, but somewhat related... how do i open a *new* tab at my current possition instead of firefox scrolling all the way to the right to the end of the last tab ?

i want open a new tab and enter "google" so i can do quick searches.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    new question, but somewhat related... how do i open a *new* tab at my current possition instead of firefox scrolling all the way to the right to the end of the last tab ?

i want open a new tab and enter "google" so i can do quick searches.
    TabMixPlus. If you've not installed it before you'll wonder how you ever surfed without it once you do and it's configured to your liking. Sometimes a Firefox update breaks extensions, including TabMixPlus (at least it has in the past). I rely on TabMixPlus so much I won't upgrade Firefox unless I know it's compatible with the current version of TabMixPlus. If it's not, I wait until TabMixPlus has been updated too.

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	466
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	22486

If you type something into the address bar which isn't a URL and hit enter, Firefox should do a Google search for you (if not it can be configured that way). If you're manually opening a new tab because searching from the address bar displays the search results in the current tab rather than in a new one, which is monumentally annoying, TabMixPlus can fix that for you.
    This configuration page also lets you decide whether a new tab will steal focus or open in the background according to how the new tab is created. I always have new tabs opening in the background.

Name:	Clipboard02.gif
Views:	481
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	22487

TabMixPlus has it's own session manager which lets you save sessions manually or automatically when closing the browser or if it crashes etc.

The TabMixPlus session manager looks like this.

Name:  Clipboard05.gif
Views: 857
Size:  22.6 KB

I've used TabMixPlus for so long I can't remember what Firefox can and can't do without it, but I re-open closed tabs individually this way.

Name:  Clipboard04.gif
Views: 827
Size:  23.4 KB

URL Suffix is also quite a handy little extension to have if you do most things from the address bar rather than open a new tab manually first.

Name:  Clipboard03.gif
Views: 674
Size:  9.5 KB

If I type "hello" in the address bar and hit enter a new tab opens displaying the "hello" search results from Google (default Firefox behaviour for me).
    "hello" and Ctrl+Enter takes me straight to www.hello.com (which might also be the default behaviour for Firefox)
    "hello" and Shift+Enter takes me straight to www.hello.com.au
    "hello" with Ctrl+Shift+Enter results in a tab displaying the "hello" search results from google.com

The last option is the one I use on the odd occasion Firefox thinks I'm trying to navigate to a website instead of performing a Google search. It really only happens if you drag and drop text into the address bar which contains a dot (full stop).
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st Jan 2014 at 22:51.
    Quote Quote  
  17. How well does TabMixPlus handle crashes? I've had crashes/bluescreens before where my tabs totally disappeared even though most times, Firefox's internal manager comes up with an "Oops" message and offers to reopen them all. Those random losses of my entire session are devastating...
    Quote Quote  
  18. The crashed session in my Session Manager screenshot was the result of a power outage last night. Admittedly though, on occasion Firefox itself has locked up and after restarting there's been no crashed session added, but I've no idea if Firefox's built in session restore would handle those types of crashes any better.

If in doubt, TabMixPlus doesn't force you to use it's session manager. In fact I think it's disabled by default. You can use the built-in Firefox session restore thingy instead.
    Quote Quote