VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As in title, If I convert from YUV to RGB I get a loss of quality?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on how it's done. It can be done carefully with several proper methods (and if you can find an NLE app that does it properly, let us know). It's an even bigger problem going back to YUV for video encoding (and if you can find an NLE or decoder that does that one properly and carefully, let us know about that as well). I always use Avisynth methods and plugins, but only if I need to go to RGB for critical work.

However, the simple answer is poisondeathray's.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is not a one to one mapping of RGB to YUV values when working in 8 bit integer color. ~17 million RGB colors are mapped to ~11 million YUV colors when using the usual rec.601 or rec.709 colorspaces. So you get a loss of precision when converting one to the other. If you convert YUV to RGB, then convert back to YUV you will not have exactly the same YUV values you started with. Especially if some of the YUV values where outside the "legal" range.

YUV is also usually sub sampled (4:2:2 or 4:2:0) so the colors are usually interpolated when converting to RGB, then again going back to YUV. This results in blurring of the colors.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Oct 2013 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even without subsampling, all known mapping strategies for converting YUV<-->RGB color spaces don't use more than a few decimal places of precision beyond integer, so there is ALWAYS rounding, and thus LOSS.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The losses begin with YUV. Everything in graphics begins as RGB. Once you start denuding pixels, it's downhill from there.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote