VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I record gameplay with MSI afteburner and then edit it using virtualdub. My videocard is geforce 570. The problem is that sometimes usually on very bright frames i get a different color usually at the bottom of the video. The different color can be varied, like yellow, green or blue. I tried to use some virtualdub cleaning filters but it didn't do anything. Maybe i'm using the filters with wrong settings. It happens in many games. See attachment. If someone could provide an indication of a filter and if possible what setting to use it would be great.

I know how to take out bad frames manually but this procedure is very upsetting and time consuming depending on the number of bad frames, so i want an automated solution.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gasguzzlers bad color0001.jpeg
Views:	433
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	20684  

Quote Quote  
  2. You're not really going to be able to fix those frames. If it's just occasional frames you should just cut them out. Or replace them with a copy of the frame before or after.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Oct 2013 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And it's going to be very difficult to automate this or use an autodetect script in avisynth to fill in a copy or interpolate a frame - since the colors change (e.g. it's not always a specific color, or always a specific location) .
    Quote Quote  
  4. This comes pretty close with the sample image.

Code:
    ImageSource("gasguzzlers bad color0001.jpg", start=0, end=23, fps=23.976) 
    top=Crop(0,0,-0,528)
    bot=Crop(0,528,-0,-0).RGBAdjust(gb=-78, bb=-82)
    StackVertical(top, bot)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tear.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	20687

Of course, the "tear" is at a different height on the left and right parts of the image. So you'll need more complex cutting and stacking. If the tear moves from frame to frame you're screwed. And there's still the issue of the bottom part of the frame coming from a different source frame.

You'd be better off just using software that captures properly. Be sure you have vsync turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks both for the help. I don't have this problem with all the games, just some of them, so i think its not really msi ab. Speaking of vsync, good point, i have it enabled in msi ab including also enforcing a maximum frame-rate of 30, but i will try enabling vsync in the games if possible and also in nvidia control panel. About the "shifts", i think they always happen at the bottom, but the problem is that they also have varied height.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What kind of compression are you using while capturing? Look to see if there are faster settings. Or if you're not compressing use a fast lossless codec like Huffyuv, or a fast low-loss codec like MJPEG. Are you really running the Pentium 4 in your profile? That might be too slow.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What kind of compression are you using while capturing? Look to see if there are faster settings. Or if you're not compressing use a fast lossless codec like Huffyuv, or a fast low-loss codec like MJPEG. Are you really running the Pentium 4 in your profile? That might be too slow.
    I'm capturing using mjpg at quality 100% but will try the uncompressed option available. About the profile, lol, it seems i didn't come to this forum for a very long time I have now an i7 3930, 16gb ram and i'm recording on a 256 ssd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the capture format to MTV1 (Riva Tuner video codec), which is the native format used by MSI afterburner, which descends directly from Riva Tuner. This solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestions
    Quote Quote