VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have noticed one odd problem with upgrading from W8>W8.1. Both my Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall were disabled. I didn't notice that for a day. Reinstalled Avast with no problems, but Comodo reinstall is having problems with an error of 'The network firewall is not functioning properly!". It can't seem to be repaired.

I've been busy with other things, so haven't looked into why Comodo is not working.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you knew about the trick to get the ISO, then what's your issue? I'm currently downloading 8.1 using the serial I got when you could buy 8 for $15. If you're wanting to point out that people upgrading through the Windows store app are screwed, you're right. Although, I wonder if the ESD folder is still being created when using the app? If it is then you could use option 2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    If you knew about the trick to get the ISO, then what's your issue? I'm currently downloading 8.1 using the serial I got when you could buy 8 for $15. If you're wanting to point out that people upgrading through the Windows store app are screwed, you're right. Although, I wonder if the ESD folder is still being created when using the app? If it is then you could use option 2.
    I did not find the trick I posted for downloading a Windows 8.1 ISO until after I started this thread, although I did look for a means of downloading an ISO before posting here. The one suggestion I found did not work, so I did not post a link for it. The next day I found a different suggestion for downloading an ISO. After I tried it to make sure that the trick worked, I posted a link for it here in order to share what I found. Happy now?

[Edit]The only ESD folder I have now resulted from tricking Microsoft's download page to download a Windows 8.1 ISO instead of a Windows 8 ISO. I looked for any new large files or folders after upgrading via the Windows 8 App Store but didn't find an ESD folder, only the same leftover stuff that redwudz describes here.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Oct 2013 at 19:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I have noticed one odd problem with upgrading from W8>W8.1. Both my Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall were disabled. I didn't notice that for a day. Reinstalled Avast with no problems, but Comodo reinstall is having problems with an error of 'The network firewall is not functioning properly!". It can't seem to be repaired.

I've been busy with other things, so haven't looked into why Comodo is not working.
    Is Windows Firewall turned on? ...or maybe the version of Comodo you have is incompatible with Windows 8.1.

I hope you can find a way to make your current version of Comodo work. After reading your post I downloaded the latest version of the free firewall to find out if it works. It does, but I really don't care for the new user interface. Plus, the installer also wants to install Comodo Dragon browser, Geek Buddy, and a couple of other things. I declined all the extras but Comodo Dragon browser and Geek Buddy installed anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found what looks like a fix for Comodo not working. Do a search for' comodo, windows 8.1 ' and you should find it. It involves changing a registry setting,'MaxNumFilters' from the default of '1' to '8'.

I'm away from that PC, so won't be able to test it till Sunday.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I found what looks like a fix for Comodo not working. Do a search for' comodo, windows 8.1 ' and you should find it. It involves changing a registry setting,'MaxNumFilters' from the default of '1' to '8'.

I'm away from that PC, so won't be able to test it till Sunday.
    I didn't try it, but that patch reportedly works for the Windows 8.1 preview and not Windows 8.1 final. Unless someone comes up with a better fix, I think the only Comodo firewall that will work with Windows 8.1 is Version 6.3, which I tested. It was just released on October 20 and they designed it to work on a Windows 8.1 system, but it's such a radical departure from their previous release, that I decided to look elsewhere for a software firewall. I found Comodo is not the only one having problems. ZoneAlarm is too. I decided to see if I liked their product any better than CIS 6.3, and found a lot of unhappy Windows 8.1 users in their forum too. I think I will just use Windows Firewall and my router's firewall until the dust settles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok this isn't really a problem with 8.1 but I didn't want to start a new thread. I finally installed the .1 update.

Is it possible to switch the left click and right click funtions on the "new" start button they added?

Also-

What the hell happened to the "original" desktop themes that came with win 8? I liked those. The new ones suck.

-------------------------------------------

So basically I like the new start button but I don't like having to right click it for the normal functions. I just want to left click like I used to. (for my old xp and vista computers that is)

I do have a folder shortcut for drive access. That is setup for left clicking. I had googled around to get that setup.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Ok this isn't really a problem with 8.1 but I didn't want to start a new thread. I finally installed the .1 update.

Is it possible to switch the left click and right click funtions on the "new" start button they added?
    There may be a way to hack the Start Screen charm if you know the internals of Windows 8.1, but Windows itself doesn't provide a setting to do that. You'll probably have to settle for the choice between installing Classic Shell to get back a Start Button and Start Menu and changing your habits.

Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    What the hell happened to the "original" desktop themes that came with win 8? I liked those. The new ones suck.

There were only three original default themes for Windows 8's desktop other than the high-contrast themes. They retained the Flowers theme. I haven't found the other two online anywhere, but Microsoft provides many others you can download from inside the Personalization window by clicking "get more themes online" . There should be at least a couple that don't suck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually quiet.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Obligatory:
    Quote Quote  
  11. The best thing is to avoid 8.x. I am not nor have ever been a fan of 8.x. I have legitimate reasons.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually quiet
    but Microsoft provides many others you can download from inside the Personalization window by clicking "get more themes online" . There should be at least a couple that don't suck.
    I'm trying out the sierra sunsets theme right now. I kinda like it. I might keep it. I'll try the others out eventually.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote