VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Every now and then I will drop a vob in avstodvd and it won't like the file so it wants to make my 2gb vob 6gb or whatever. IE it wants to transcode the file. clearly it found "issue" with my vob file but for the LIFE of me I can not figure out what.

one solution. convert the file again. with the EXACT SAME settings. no changes at all. and wamo it works fine this time.

problem is that takes HOURS sometimes. there has to be a better way. a way to run the vob through a program that will say "this" is whats wrong with it and just fix it.

its driving me mad. is there no such solution? is there anyway to get avstodvd to cough up what in the world its issue is with the file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    Every now and then I will drop a vob in avstodvd and it won't like the file so it wants to make my 2gb vob 6gb or whatever. IE it wants to transcode the file. clearly it found "issue" with my vob file but for the LIFE of me I can not figure out what.
    Then stop using avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. wow. that was helpful. no seriously what would you suggest? I have what "should" be dvd compliant naked vobs. I just want to chunk and and structure into a DVD (no bup or ifo the program needs to make those from the single vob I have)

no menu's nothing special. Just take my single vob and make it into a dvd as quickly as possible. WHEN avs likes the vob it works splendidly. drop the file select burn dvd as output and click start. come back 20 minutes later and its all done.

what do you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that A2D will use the VOB as-is if it's DVD compliant.
    For example, the one you can see in the image below. When I start this project, all it does it demux the video and audio
    and reuse them. takes about 60 seconds.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	comp_vob.JPG
Views:	1171
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	20641  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Leaving my hatred for working with individual VOB files aside for now....the first thing I would do to verify if the VOB is PAL or NTSC....then check to see what avstodvd is set to output. I'd bet that is the problem. If what you say is true that the VOB files are DVD compliant, the PAL - NTSC issue is the only thing that should trip up authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    wow. that was helpful. no seriously what would you suggest? I have what "should" be dvd compliant naked vobs. I just want to chunk and and structure into a DVD (no bup or ifo the program needs to make those from the single vob I have)

no menu's nothing special. Just take my single vob and make it into a dvd as quickly as possible. WHEN avs likes the vob it works splendidly. drop the file select burn dvd as output and click start. come back 20 minutes later and its all done.

what do you suggest?
    Your files are not, strictly speaking, DVD compliant no matter what you think. I had trouble with .mpg files that were good except that the GOP length was too long for compliance with the DVD spec. Another time I had difficulty with VOB files from an older DVD recorder of mine that showed an aspect ratio of 1.304 not 1.333. I would suggest posting the MediaInfo report from your VOB file in the AVStoDVD support thread and letting _MrC_ help you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Oct 2013 at 15:09. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
  7. all I know is it appears "random" one vob will work another vob won't work but I changed NOTHING in the settings. nothing at all.

sometimes I can "redo" the conversion with the precise same settings and it will work fine.

I found my copy of tmpgenc and it accepted the vobs fine and did the chunk and structure in half the time of A2D

I will be sure to post the mediainfo to that thread to help the author out though.

I don't let A2D convert my files however. it does a poor job of it. I found out it would convert the x264 files for me but it has what looks like iframe drag that pixelates the film at intervals on some films. super does not exibit this issue.

I just wish A2D would "TELL" me what is wrong and or give me the option to ignore it and just use the file anyway (99.9% of dvd players won't care)

its not pal/versus ntsc. both programs are set to use NTSC 29.97 Full D1.

plus if you drop an ntsc file into A2D it will pop up warning you its set to pal and offer to change the setting (on one machine for some reason A2D was "stuck" in pal just uninstalled and reinstalled and it stopped doing that
    Quote Quote