VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a vide that is split into several xvid files. There is also a 'rar' file and a 'nfo' file. How can I convert those files into a single video file of any type (avi, mpg, m4p, flv, ...)? I am using an older Linux distro (Fedora) and do not know how to do that,

Please ask questions if you need me to specify the details.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use the command line Mencoder or a frontend for Linux and just join the files since they are as you say xvid (already converted).
    Quote Quote  
  3. but the question is HOW to use that tool! It has 1000 arguments in 1 Billion combinations. How does the command line look like to answer my question. (Preferred: mplayer)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then I suggest using http://www.transcoding.org/transcode?Transcode_Wiki (the easiest way) if all the files have the same resolution and bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am trying to do my task with transcode. First, I put all the xvid files into a directory XvidFiles. Then I use the following command:

transcode -i XvidFiles/ -o test.avi

which gives the following output:

[fileinfo.c] warning: [fileinfo.c:125] file read error: Success
    [probe_ffmpeg.c] critical: unable to open 'XvidFiles/' (libavformat failure)
    [transcode] V: auto-probing | XvidFiles/ (FAILED)
    [transcode] V: import format | (null) in (module=null)
    [transcode] A: auto-probing | XvidFiles/ (FAILED)
    [transcode] A: import format | AC3 in (module=null)
    [transcode] V: AV demux/sync | (1) sync AV at initial MPEG sequence
    [transcode] V: import frame | 720x576 1.25:1 encoded @ UNKNOWN
    [transcode] V: bits/pixel | 0.174
    [transcode] V: decoding fps,frc | 25.000,0
    [transcode] V: video format | YUV420 (4:2:0) aka I420
    [transcode] A: import format | 0x2000 AC3 [48000,16,2]
    [transcode] A: export | disabled
    [transcode] V: encoding fps,frc | 25.000,3
    [transcode] A: bytes per frame | 7680 (7680.000000)
    [transcode] A: adjustment | 0@1000
    [transcode] V: IA32/AMD64 accel | sse3 sse2 sse mmx cmove asm
    [transcode] warning: no option -y found, option -o ignored, writing to "/dev/null"
    [transcode] V: video buffer | 10 @ 720x576 [0x2]
    [transcode] A: audio buffer | 10 @ 48000x2x16
    [import_null.so] v0.2.0 (2002-01-19) (video) null | (audio) null
    [export_null.so] v0.1.2 (2001-08-17) (video) null | (audio) null

and the last line counting frames forever.
    Is this the right command? I see an error about unable to open the directory, but according to the help and docu I can specify a directory with the option '-i'. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No one knows how to really use transcode? Or else how to 'combine' the xvid files into a single movie file? Or to check that the files are correct xvid filkes in the first place?

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Code:
    mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o joined.avi *.avi
    should work, assuming your files have the same frame rate, resolution and were encoded with the same settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by alex2356 View Post
    No one knows how to really use transcode? Or else how to 'combine' the xvid files into a single movie file? Or to check that the files are correct xvid filkes in the first place?

Anyone?
    It's not our fault you insist on using only Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Code:
    avimerge -i *.avi -o joined.avi
    should work too
    Quote Quote  
  10. I do not have single avi files, but I think I have single xvid files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Xvid = is a video encoder which produces Mpeg-4 ASP video streams and not a container
    so
    xvid = raw MPEG-4 ASP files ?
    or
    xvid = .avi files with an xvid extension ?
    or
    something totally different which you can explain further?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I cannot say. I just have a video split up into several parts, each part has the name 'xvid' in its name. But I really do not know what they are.

Maybe you can tell me to find out what those files are? Maybe they are avi files? I really do not know...
    Quote Quote  
  13. install mediainfo
    call:
    Code:
    mediainfo -full "Path to one of the files" > output.txt
    post the output.txt file here
    Quote Quote  
  14. Turn on "show file extensions" or whatever the option is called in Linux so you can see the true extensions of the file names.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Linux does not need file extensions - and they do not really tell what kind of file you have.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Does not need (due to the use of mime-type infos), but normally there are present and in general it's a dumb idea to not use them.
    -> post the mediainfo output, mediainfo will look at the headers of the file an report that the headers say, which is normally more reliant than mime-types and/or file extensions.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok I will do that, but I can do that in 6 hours...

Thanks for your help so far!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by alex2356 View Post
    Linux does not need file extensions - and they do not really tell what kind of file you have.
    His files were obviously downloaded from somewhere and likely have extensions that are being hidden.

Likely something like:

name.xvid.001
    name.xvid.002
    name.xvid.003

In which case they just have to be concatenated. Or:

name.xvid.rar
    name.xvid.r01
    name.xvid.r02

In which case he just needs to use an archive program to extract the file(s).
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Oct 2013 at 07:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo got it right, it's an archived video. Use winrar for Linux (command line) it will join the files back into the video.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have a .rar and a .nfo file? Have you un-rared the archived file with something like WinRAR or 7-zip for Linux? A rar is a archived file. Nfo is a information file. It can usually be opened with a simple text processor program.

If you actually do have the un-archived files, they should have a extension of .avi or .xvid or .divx. If so, you should be able to join them with one of the programs mentioned. You should also be able to play each file individually with something like VLC for Linux.

EDIT: jagabo was faster. I wondered about the .rar and .nfo reference also.
    Quote Quote  
  21. In fact I see a .nfo file (not text), a .rar file and a .sfv file. But neither habe winrar nor 7-zip installed, but unrar. I always used archive command son a single file , i.e. the single file is the archive, but never on multiple files. Can I do

unrar *xvid*

or something like that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you unrar the .rar and it will/should automatically get all the other files in the right order and join the pieces to make the full video.

this might help. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=272861
    Last edited by Wolfen; 22nd Oct 2013 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote