VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if anyone could assist with the following. First have a look at the link below--

http://www.lcg.org/cgi-bin/lcg/sermons/lcg-sermons.cgi?category=Sermon1&item=1380866401

This link is representative of some of the sermons that I occasionally download for members of our congregation that don't have internet access. They play fine in a small window on your desktop but once you start displaying them on a television screen they reveal their low res origins pretty quickly. I was wondering if there were anything I could do to denoise and deblock them where they wouldn't look quite so pixellated. I know they will never be perfect but any suggestion is welcome. Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mjl1297 View Post
    have a look at the link below--
    No thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If anyone has any constructive replies they are indeed welcome to post.
    Last edited by mjl1297; 17th Oct 2013 at 01:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mjl1297 View Post
    If anyone has any constructive replies they are welcome to post. Morons like the "Jerk in Europe" above can post elsewhere.
    Spreading the "good word" are we?
    Quote Quote  
  5. No not quite in the way you mean although I certainly won't apologise for it.

Truly, I'm just trying to find out if there is anything that can be done to improve on that source material.

And yes my first response was a little hasty but in all likelihood truthful so I'll leave it to you to decide whether it is good or not.
    Last edited by mjl1297; 17th Oct 2013 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by mjl1297 View Post
    No not quite in the way you mean although I certainly won't apologise for it.

Truly, I'm just trying to find out if there is anything that can be done to improve on that source material.

And yes my first response was a little hasty but in all likelihood truthful so I'll leave it to you to decide whether it is good or not.
    With that video you can get large and blocky or large and fuzzy. It's too small.

You say you won't apologize for your inappropriate post, but you sure as hell tried to hide it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mjl1297: You've been a forum member for 3 and a half years. You should know by now that it is bad form to post a link that's unfamiliar to the rest of us and say, "look at my video." No one in his right mind is going to blindly click on just any URL. That is why hech54 responded as he did. It was a reasonable, if blunt, response. (Your initial reply, which you later edited, reveals something about your character that might be inconsistent with the message in the materials you are trying to promote.)

We would have no problem examining a very short clip that you could upload here. That way, we could see if it could be enhanced.

Keep in mind that streaming video is often low-resolution for the very purpose of accommodating viewers with limit internet speed and bandwidth. As such, image detail is removed, and it cannot be replaced after the fact. (It is the old "garbage in, garbage out" rule.) I suggest you go to the originator of the videos and ask for DVD versions, instead of relying on the vastly degraded streaming videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mjl1297 View Post
    ... have a look at the link below-- ...
    I'll pass too. Just completed a clean virus sweep.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see why anyone is objecting so rudely to the subject matter. And who spent time watching the entire video to get an idea of the problems? One could see the problems right away.

Filboss80 is correct. That vid was incorrectly deinterlaced and processed, inflicting damage that can't be repaired without reverting back to the original source. Whether it's too small or too large isn't a real problem for its intended web display, although no one would blow up a frame that small on a 40-inch-plus TV and expect a miracle (no pun intended!). Perhaps two versions could be offered: a tiny guy like the one on the link -- and correctly processed, mind you -- and a link to a more full-scale copy that's not all that big but can still be viewed on a TV without spending all day to download it.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 14:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you can't get a cleaner source you can try something like this:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("dve728lo.flv") 
    ColorYUV(off_y=-24, gain_y=40)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=532, fheight=400)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    Dehalo_alpha(rx=3, ry=3)
    That will be a little sharper and with less aliasing artifacts than a simple resize. Some additional denoising might reduce some of the DCT ringing artifacts. There wasn't much blocking aside from the title sequence so I didn't bother with that.

First 1000 frames as h.264 in MKV attached (no audio).
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Oct 2013 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ummm...perhaps the OP was just having a bad day?

First post here by the way.

It was looking for some information relating to video resizing and re-resolution (not sure if that is a word) that brought me to this post. There is some useful information here and I fear I'm in the same boat as the OP with my low res sample. You can't get blood from a stone and you are indeed limited by your source. Fortunately I came across a high res version of the video I have so I was spared the pain of upresing it but I thought jagabo's work on the sample was pretty impressive.
    Quote Quote