VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have tried several ways to digitize and restore VHS tapes.

At this moment i am trying to use my Pinnalce PCTV Studio Pro as capture device. While most captures trough my usb capture device were distorted they look almost perfect trough the pctv.

However i noticed a lot of "noise/lines" trough the image. I already turned on the noise reduction in virtualdub capture mode which seems to help. However i need to know if what i am having now is acceptable/normal or if should change some settings/hardware.

sample: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/El8KYFU.png

What is your opinion about the quality of the source?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do you define right ?

VHS has noise. Without filtering you will get noise. Noise reducion can soften the image so indeed your picture is not 'right'.

I would not filter at the capture point unless you have hardware picture enhancement available - we do not know your equipment. Do it in sofware at the capture point as you have done could have damaged it and lessened the chances to restore with post-production filtering in avisynth etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you want to offer a sample, make it a video sample, not a picture. 10 seconds with steady movement is plenty.
    While most captures trough my usb capture device were distorted
    No idea what that means. Maybe that you were capping at 720x576 and people looked too tall and slender (if PAL). Perfectly normal.
    However i noticed a lot of "noise/lines" trough the image.
    If by that you mean interlacing (look it up), then also normal. Like DB83 I wouldn't denoise while capping, but later on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What VCR was used?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. @manono
    Distorted in the sense that i was thinking about buying a TBC. (like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LlfNjq-RXVg/T4L7FFFPbbI/AAAAAAAAAGM/k_N_L6YXq04/s1600/before.jpg)

It's not the interlacing, the picture looked quite noisy on my "capture" pc, however it looks quite a bit better on my pc here.

@DB83 & @lordsmurf
    The hardware i'm currently using:
    - Consumer grade VCR: JVC HR-S6700EU
    - "hq" shielded cables (not the cheapest one's, not the most expensive)
    - Pinnacle PCTV studio pro as capture device (bt8x8 chip).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you just want us to go by the jpg, It needs more work. Without a video sample, there's little more one could say. But it doesn't look so great with all the chroma noise and dot crawl on the captions.

The image you just posted isn't a picture of a tbc. If you mean that buying what people typically mean by a frame-level tbc, it won't fix the problem you pictured.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A single still does NOT, as manono states, give ANY indication for the need of a tbc. There is no distortion(other than AR) in that pic IMHO just noise.

Post a sample video representative of any issues you really think are present else we will get nowhere.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree, I will post a video sample tomorrow.

What i meant with TBC is that if i capture trough a usb capture device, i get a very distorted picture like the one in the picture.
    Recording trough the pctv, the picture isn't distorted.

I will record a video tomorrow and it will be much clearer. Sorry for the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We only need about 10 or 15 seconds, unprocessed, straight from a capture, with some motion going on, such as someone moving, walking, turning around. That sort of thing. If you have to make a new capture to get it, don't denoise during capture; we need to see as much as possible what your source looks like before it's gone through processing with filters.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have captured a new sample.

The strange thing is, that the video seems better when uploaded on youtube.
    It might be related to the interlacing after all.

How would you rate the capture quality of this sample?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VCR is crappy, and it has timebase errors (no TBC).
    The capture is not very good, no.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
    How would you rate the capture quality of this sample?
    No way to tell (beyond what LordSmurf said) as YouTube has already reencoded it. Follow sanlyn's previous instructions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might think your youtube sample is 'unprocessed' but It HAS been converted, de-interlaced and anything else yt cares to throw at it.

Just upload the original to the forum as an attachment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You might think your youtube sample is 'unprocessed' but It HAS been converted, de-interlaced and anything else yt cares to throw at it. Just upload the original to the forum as an attachment.
    It has lots of chroma noise and timebase errors. You can see that on Youtube. I don't even need to see more -- it's crappy, the end, get a better VCR. No need to beat a dead horse here, let's all move on and get the OP into a better VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you for your honisty.

Buying a new VCR would be the best option. But i think that will have to wait for now.
    Just so i don't miss out on a bargain, if you would have to choose between a JVC SR-S388 and a Sony SVO-9500MDP. What would be your pick and what would be a acceptable pricetag?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The noise was there in the original cap.

I do not question your knowledge, LS, but I just looked at the original hosted vid at yt. Playback appears different and I do wonder if the OP has done himself few favours by embedding this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The noise was there in the original cap.

I do not question your knowledge, LS, but I just looked at the original hosted vid at yt. Playback appears different and I do wonder if the OP has done himself few favours by embedding this.
    I will try to upload it tomorrow, the clip is 500+mb atm so i will try to shorten it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ahem, yes, well -- as lordsmurf and others suggest, uTube videos can only tell us how uTube screwed it up. The capture won't be perfect, of course, but if you're capping to DV (not the best thing to do with VHS, but so be it), you can use any of several apps to cut a few seconds without re-encoding. Or if you're capping to MPEG, you can use the free DGIndex utility to make a slice with no processing.

And, no, we don't want 500mb. 10 or 15 seconds is plenty. The uTube scene would do nicely. If you need help cutting a few secs of video, just ask. There are plenty of free apps that can do it without damage.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless my maths are way out 32 sec @ 500 meg is not DV. It's not even lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably lossles at full frrame and RGB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV = 13GB/hour
    So...
    1GB = 1/13th hour (60/13 = ~4.6min)
    500MB = ~2.3 min
    250MB = ~1.2 min
    125MB = ~ 40 secs
    63MB = ~20 secs

Huffyuv = ~x3 (35-40GB/hour)
    So 20 secs = ~190MB

Uncompressed 4:2:2 = ~75GB/hour
    So 20 secs = ~370MB

Honestly, anything less than 20 secs doesn't show enough. Even that's too short, but workable.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I thought i used huffyuv and captured with virtualdub, but have no idea why de file is this big. Will check it this evening.

Any suggestions about the vcr's i named in Post #15?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
    I thought i used huffyuv and captured with virtualdub, but have no idea why de file is this big. Will check it this evening.
    We might be wasting some time of our own by guessing about the file size matter, but AT LAST you are giving us some information about your capture. Apparently you have capped to lossless AVI (???) -- abd now I'm guessing myself. But earlier you seemed to have alluded that you captured to DV. (NOTE: "DV" and lossless are not the same thing).

If your capture is lossless AVI, there's a different way to make a sample without processing. But first, do yourself and the world a favor: get a copy of the free MediaInfo utility. Download it to a separe folder and run the installer (if you see an offer to also install some other stuff like toolbars, etc., just uncheck the boxes and avoid the extra stuff. That ad keeps MediaInfo free for all of us). Open MediaInfo and then use it to open your capture file. It will show some info, but you want to click on the "View" menu at the top of the window and choose "Text" view. Mke surE you copy all the data in the Text view -- that window often opens itself as scrolled down to the bottom -- ridiculous, but easy to scroll up and copy/paste all of it. You can either copy that text and paste it in a reply here, or you can export the whole report to a text file and attach it to a reply.

Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
    Any suggestions about the vcr's i named in Post #15?
    Didn't you say you used a 6800 or 6200 series JVC? Those were pretty good VCR's, even if they didn't have a TBC (and frankly I wish I had a 6800; I think they were superior to later JVC's in some respects). The uTube version of the capture actually doesn't look that bad, but because of uTube's sloppy processing it is not an accurate impression of your original capture -- which likely is telecined. In any case I'd prefer JVC over a less reliable (and noisy) SONY. As for the tbc issue, there are ways to work around that if one becomes necessary.

Post some MediaInfo data first, and we can advise you how to get a decent sample without going through a nervous breakdown.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:18. Reason: Fix typos. Some characters move around when you're not looking.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The mediainfo is attached to this post.

How i capture:

- I use a JVC S6700EU VCR.
    - Connected to my Pinnacle PCTV Pro capture card (WDM bt8x8 drivers, not the pinnacle/microsoft drivers).
    - I use Virtualdub as capture software and i use the huffyuv video codec.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Except the captured bitrate is over 3 times larger than it should be.

And the audio is twice larger.
    Last edited by DB83; 16th Oct 2013 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That won't matter at this point, although we need to tell nicknick how to fix it later. Now, we just need a sample of the capture.

Thanks for the data. If your output is intended to be standard definition DVD or AVCHD, etc., your video will have to be resized from 768x576 to 720x576 for PAL encoders. Don't worry about that at this point. In the future, you should capture at 720x576. If this movie is the same as that in your uTube sample, the image itself is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Your audio sampling rate is non-compliant for DVD, etc., but that can be fixed.

Here's how you can extract some video (7 or 8 seconds should be enough) of unprocessed, unaltered video from this capture:

1. Open the captured AVI in VirtualDub.

2. Use the edit icons at the bottom of the VDub window to cut about 8 seconds of video from your capture. If you don't know how to do this in VirtualDub, let us know.

3. With your video sample edited, then at the top VDub menu bar click "Video...", then click "direct stream copy". Do not omit this step.

4.Click "File...", then "Save as Avi...", give your sample file a location and name, and save it.

You can post the video in this forum using the "Upload files/Manage attachments" icon located just below the Reply window. When you click that icon you'll see the upload window where you tell the forum where your sample is located. Then click the "Upload" button', and wait for the sample file to download completely. It will take a while, but don't close that upload window until you see that the upload has completed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought it might be worth fixing at this stage since we then get a longer sample (just in case). With the current offering 8 secs will still be > 100 meg
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have attached the short clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll let others comment on the quality.

I just wonder why you are bothering with this particular film. It's 007 isn't it ?. Plenty of dvd and BR versions available and at the correct AR.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I'll let others comment on the quality.

I just wonder why you are bothering with this particular film. It's 007 isn't it ?. Plenty of dvd and BR versions available and at the correct AR.
    I have the dvd box-set and blu-ray box set.
    Two reasons i chose this video.
    1. Most home video's were recorded with a low quality camera, on a tape that was used quite a few times, i decided the best way to test the quality of the vcr and capture device is by taking a good quality vhs tape.
    2. This tape was still in the vcr.

If you think it would be better to take a home video, then i could capture another clip.
    Quote Quote