VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I'm a newbie to the site and would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    My question regards a somewhat old Magnavox DVD recorder/VCR (ZV450MW8). The VCR part broke over a year ago. But, I have been using the DVD recorder to record programs from time to time. It has always recognized and allowed me to record any digital or analog channels I receive through my cable company. I have never had a cable box. The cable runs into the DVD recorder and then runs out to the Sharp HD television.
    About 2 weeks ago I did an automatic reset of the cable channels on the television. I am not convinced that the channel reset had anything to do with the problem, however it was shortly after that that I realized that the DVD recorder now only recognized the analog channels. If I even tried to put in a number with a dot, it automatically turns to the analog station. I have tried resetting the channels on the DVD recorder as well, along with switching the cables (yellow, red, white) to the two other possible hookups on the tv. I have run out of ideas and tonight begins the new season of The Walking Dead.
    I am hoping that someone can give me some new avenues to try or tell me that there is a good possibility that the unit is broken.

I would appreciate any ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your cable provider like most others is probably moving to all encrypted channels. to force everyone to use their dvr or a cablecard if you are lucky.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the TV still tune the digital channels you want to record? If not, your cable TV service provider may have made some changes to its system. Late last year the FCC did away with its rule requiring cable TV providers to provide the digital versions of local channels in clear QAM form, at the request of the major players in the industry. Since the rule was repealed, the major cablecos have either encrypted or are in the process of encrypting all digital channels that used to be provided in the clear. I just picked up an HD cable box myself on Friday since I received a notice with my last bill which informed me that I'm loosing all clear QAM digital channels on October 15.

Late again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It would seem that the cable companies are supplying the nails for their own coffin. It won't be very long before the general population realize that they can pick up most of these shows for far less cost and much less restrictions through the internet. It looks like I'll just have to watch zombies in real time this week. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
    It would seem that the cable companies are supplying the nails for their own coffin. It won't be very long before the general population realize that they can pick up most of these shows for far less cost and much less restrictions through the internet. It looks like I'll just have to watch zombies in real time this week. Thanks.
    If you can still watch the desired channels using just a ATSC/QAM tuner on a digital TV, then the channels aren't encrypted. The tuner in your DVD recorder is likely shot. A new DVD recorder will probably work better, although sometimes the newer Magnavoxs have trouble finding some channels. At some point your provider may decide to encrypt everything, and from then on you will need a cable box, or cable DVR to record your shows using a DVD recorder or to simply watch them with a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, usually_quiet. That seems like a very plausible explanation. Now, I just have to decide whether to buy a new DVD recorder or except the inevitable and get a cable dvr.
    Quote Quote