VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm a complete novice to all this. I have video that I recorded with a very old Sony CamCorder (circa 2000, though it was very good for the time) and I transferred them from the camera to hdd via a program who's name escapes me now. WinDV I think, but it's been a long time.
    The current format on hdd says "video clip" and when I load it into Handbrake it sees it fine. I run the conversion to MP4 and the video looks great but there is no sound. Here are the settings and what HB sees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	17762
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	20473

Any tips on how to get sound with the video? I've done conversions of other files, like mkv's, and sound came through fine.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've always had problems with files that contain PCM audio in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't dealt with this sort of thing in handbrake, but I have in avidemux. I believe handbrake also lets you import a separate audio file like avidemux.

What I've done in avidemux is to firat open the video file with audacity. Despite it being just an audio editor/processor, it will open just the audio stream from the video file. Then export/convert that to something avidemux understands (for handbrake you'd probably want ac3 or aac), and select that file as the audio source in avidemux. Then just select copy audio when converting the video.

I haven't tried this with handbrake or pcm audio with audacity but it'd be worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried the latest version of handbrake and that was a no go. I'll try vidcoder next. If not that, then I'll try the avidemux. I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible so if I can get a program to do the entire thing that is obviously preferred.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If I recall correctly....after my PCM/video file fails in HandBrake, I smack my forehead, say "DO'H!!" and fire up WinFF.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It turns out that vidcoder seems to include audio just fine. What's puzzling to me though is that vidcoder says it uses Handbrake as it's encoding engine, so why would vidcoder work and handbrake not?

Anyway, the test file seemed to come out just fine so I'm working on a few more to see how it goes. I'll have a better idea in about 5 hours.....

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Vidcoder has worked like a charm on 30+ video clips now. Thank you for the pointer!
    Quote Quote