VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good morning all,

Not sure where this should have been asked, but I have spent the like 3 hours trying to find an easier way to sort my video files without creating 100 different folders.

I am looking for a way in Windows 7 to either:

1. Add a custom column to Explorer, that is editable on ALL video file types, and can be viewed and clicked on in explorer (so I can list files in ascending or descending order).

2. Add tags to ANY video format type, including AVI and FLV, that will appear in explorer under "tags", so that I can list files in ascending or descending order.

3. Create a color coding organised structure by color coding files (such as OSX has)

After checking online for 3 hours, I've realized this isn't possible without a third-party addon or software. What I want is a "shell extension" I guess, that will allow me to do any of the 2 above within Windows' explorer, and not a new program.

I am pretty much at a brick wall right now, as I have no idea of what I should search for, as I have tried windows 7 extensions for custom columns, tried software that can add tags to avi files, but it doesnt seem to work properly, and still doesn't help me for FLV files.

Does anyone know a shell-extension website that lists "patches" or "addons" for the windows explorer for win7?

I'm stuck and need solutions

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 tag information: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/tag-your-files-for-easier-searches-...windows-7/4024

Most of the other information that I can find, refers to media tagging using WMP.

I seem to recall an addon to enhance the file properties information, but I can't find it at the moment.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I came across that link, and it works for wmv and mp4 video files, but not for avi, mpg or flv files, as the tags aren't supported by windows for these file types.

If you could find the name of the addon I'd really appreciate it, as I'm completely stuck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump, still looking for a shell-extension of some sort.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you just want to sort your video files and add columns for descriptions, you might try XLFile Lister. http://finrepinc.com/MrktXLFileList.htm

It's a add on to MS Excel and does very quick searches of your drives. It's a very basic setup. But it does give you 256 columns for descriptions when you export the file to Excel.

If you want more in depth, try one of the many video catalog programs out there, like Ant or others.

I doubt you'll find anything in MS Windows Explorer that would be of much help. Just wasn't designed for your purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not what you wanted, but I was thinking of MediaTab ( http://mediatab.mediaarea.net/ ).

Which is basically a Windows Explorer version of MediaInfo.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote