VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First post here. 'Been going round all (Mac) apps that come to mind to get this done: convert the DTS (MA or HD) audio from a MKV-file to the highest quality, usable in Protools (I want to use film soundtracks as reference audio for mixing my own...)
    Closest I can get is FLAC using HandBrake, but than I have no way to demux the resulting MKV in FLAC and video. I tried using several demuxers (IMakeMKV, iMkvExtract etc.) and than feed the output (which the apps still see as DTS) to xACT, but that hangs on the FLAC-flags or something.

All I want is to ignore the video and demux DTS to 24bit PCM at the same framerate, or if video is necessary, any format will do.

I'm not much of a command-line junky, but any hint that helps me understand how to achieve this using any other Mac-tool for that matter is highly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, you are not really understanding what "demux" means. Demux is not a conversion. It's just getting the audio as is out of the MKV source file. You want to convert, not demux or maybe demux and then convert.

Second, unfortunately like many new members who post a "I need help doing X on a Mac" you fail to understand that the critical thing is not "I want to do X" but "I need to do it on a Mac". This needs to go in our Mac forum or you will get useless help for how to do this under Windows. I'll ask a moderator to move it. In the future, if you're doing it on a Mac, the odds are that the post needs to go in the Mac forum. Mac forum posts get marked with a specific symbol and we have Mac experts who look for it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to our mac section.
    Quote Quote  
  4. First off, I thought I did post in the Mac Forum?If not, sorry for being sloppy.

And I do know the difference between demuxing and decoding: if you read my post correctly, I'm stating I can convert a MKV with DTS-HD to a MKV with FLAC using Handbrake. But after that, cannot find a way to demux the resulting file in a separate video and audio-file. If I could be able to do that, I could than convert FLAC to PCM using xACT.
    Quote Quote  
  5. UPDATE: I got it working trough the generous assistance of the developer of Hybrid. Put video on Ignore, decode audio to 24bit Little Endian and the container to Raw and out comes a squeaky clean multichannel WAV at the original sample-rate.
    Highly Recommended!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can Hybrid handle .DV files as an input, TapeTV?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Dunno: it's free, give it a spin. The developer is most helpful and very prompt in his support.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Gibson's Squares: Got only one .dv file (it got DV Video and pcm audio) here, but that can be handled fine with Hybrid.
    If you got a file that Hybrid can't handle send me a link to a sample download and I will look into supporting it. (btw. I'm the author of Hybrid)
    Normally anything that mplayer can playback, Hybrid can convert.

will probably be away from my computer till Sunday, but Sunday afternoon I can look at potential problematic files.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote