VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going nuts with this, because when I google for this issue I only come up with posts from 2009, 2010, 2011. This is so old and I'm having to deal with this now.

My current computer (which is a little bit old, I can agree to that) is a Core2Duo 1.5Ghz with 2GB of RAM. But up until yesterday I was using a WORST one (DualCore 2.4Ghz) and it was playing everything smoothly without a glitch. Now 1080 files simply won't play. They'll skip, go mute, drop frames or stop playing altogether. CPU usage is not that high (max 60%).

My Windows is 7 Ultimate 64bits (with Sp1).

I have tried: MPC-HC 64bits, VLC, CCCP pack, K-Lite pack (32 and 64) and even CoreAVC, with many different types of configurations: with Haali and LAV as splitter and with LAV and ffdshow for video codec. The 720 files all play perfectly, but it doesn't seem to be a matter of resources because the computer doesn't "hang" or get all slow when I'm playing the 1080's, and the CPU never reaches 90%.

Could it be something related to my graphic card? It's a Intel 965 family.

Please help, because I'm very close to formating the computer and install everything from scratch.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1.5 GHz C2D (mobile? even worse) is probably too slow to play 1080p24. Definitely too slow for 1080p60. It doesn't matter that your CPU isn't exceeding 90 percent. When the CPU senses it's falling behind it will try to seek forward to catch up. That seek takes time, during which the CPU goes idle. You only see the average CPU usage in Task Manager.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an Intel G965 with a Pentium D 945 that was supposed to support 1080p but had trouble with most. I had to buy a decent graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typical min cpu requirement for 1080P content is a 2.0ghz dual core.

Having said that, the file type, the file specs, the media player, and the codecs used by the media player can all have an affect as well. So when the hardware is borderline, any little thing can make a file not play properly.

In general, as you state "720P" files play fine and "1080P" files do not, the hardware is not capable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote