VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62
Thread
  1. Hi, I want to convert VHS to DVD but the programs I've used have interlacing in the final videos. Interlacing is like a ghosting effect where there's like double of an image. It's not too noticeable when the video is playing but I'd still rather have it without it. A friend of mine uses EyeTV and that doesn't have the interlacing effect. However, EyeTV is a bit pricy so I was wondering if anyone around here knows of any other video capturing software that will record my videos without the interlacing effect at a good price. Thanx!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    ALL VHS tapes are interlaced. Best way to transfer it to DVD includes retaining the interlacing AS IS. Only "effect" you would see is if your playback software/system was incorrectly deinterlacing. On interlaced sets, interlaced DVDs have no "effect", nor do they have any effect when played on correctly designed & set up progressive systems, whether PC or CE.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. No here's a sample. Note how one has the overlap and one doesn't???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Scott is correct, ALL VHS is interlaced.

    But what do these samples represent anyway? How were they made? --in detail, please.

    (The highlights are really blown out on the second one, BTW.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. The first is recorded with EyeTV Hybrid. The second was recorded with VHS to DVD 3.0. I can't really give much more detail because I don't know much more as far as how the products were put together. I was hoping someone here could assist me.
    Last edited by crissrudd4554; 5th Oct 2013 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    I first is recorded with EyeTV Hybrid. The second was VHS to DVD 3.0.
    That's a start. Recorded with what settings? to what codec and format? And how did they become resized stills?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The stills are screen grabs that I took with VLC Player. However, I don't think that's a concern because they still appear this way when played on my TV. I'm not certain what settings it was. Someone else was using EyeTV and the computer that I used VHS to DVD 3.0 doesn't work anymore so I'm not currently using the program.
    Quote Quote  
  8. And you played them from files? DVDs? YouTube? VLC made them side by side?

    My best guess is that there were at least two levels of conversion between the VHS and the final DVD(?) but only you know what you actually have and how it was done.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No the first video was recorded with EyeTV and burnt to a DVD. The other was recorded with VHS to DVD 3.0 and burnt to a DVD. To demonstrate this comparison I took screen grabs from both discs and put the pics together. I think its something with the capturing method because when I used VHS to DVD 3.0 the original file still had the overlap when I played it on my computer (before burning it to DVD).
    Quote Quote  
  10. A short video sample would be nice. 10 seconds of steady movement direct from the capture. There's a good chance your capture program is crap. Don't know for sure as I've never used it. There's nothing wrong with interlacing but there's a lot wrong with that picture you posted. You say the final DVD has interlacing but there's none seen in that picture.
    Interlacing is like a ghosting effect where there's like double of an image.
    No, that's not at all what interlacing is. In fact, it looks to me like it was deinterlaced, and in the worst possible way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    when I used VHS to DVD 3.0 the original file still had the overlap when I played it on my computer (before burning it to DVD).
    Yes! That's what we need to know about, the original file.

    What is the frame size (720x480?), the frame rate (29.97?), the codec (mpeg2?), the bit rate

    Please post a sample of that.

    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    it looks to me like it was deinterlaced, and in the worst possible way.
    Completely agree.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New York, US
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, manono beat me to it. Blend-deinterlaced.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Lone soldier Cauptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Search Comp PM
    Try AmarecTV, its can record deinterlaced in realtime. The final result is progressive file in any resolution.

    Configure your card settings, enable correct deinterlaced mode (TFF or BFF), check the option Filter ON and record your progressive file. You can resize / cut area recorded too.







    Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  14. @ manono If you mean you one without the 'blur' than no because the video still plays and looks much smoother than the other. Sorry if I can't demonstrate that with stills.

    @ smrpix I don't have the original files nor do I remember their settings. These were done a while back. As I mentioned someone I know used EyeTV and made a disc for me. I later captured the same video tape with VHS to DVD 3.0 for Windows but as I said my Windows computer no longer works and hence I longer use the software. Also once I burnt my movies to DVD I deleted the files since they took up space so I wouldn't have them anyways I'm afraid.

    @ Cauptain will this work with Mac??

    Also I have a question for anyone who may have used this. I was thinking of trying Canopus ADVC100. Has anyone tried this and if so could you tell if if produces the 'ghosting' effect or not???
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    I was thinking of trying Canopus ADVC100. Has anyone tried this and if so could you tell if if produces the 'ghosting' effect or not???
    It's perfectly fine -- better than a typical usb analog device. But the ghosting effect was most likely produced by what you did to the file AFTER you captured it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks. Maybe I will try that. And also I don't think so. The most I've ever done to the files after capturing them is record them to DVD. However if I played the original file in a media player (quicktime, vlc, etc.) the effect showed so I actually knew about the effect prior to burning them to DVD. Also I've tested a program called iGrabber and it still had the effect. I recorded a test clip with that and played it back in Quicktime and the effect showed. Please don't as me what were the settings cause I don't have that program on my computer anymore so I wouldn't know. My guess is perhaps like you said maybe it is something with the settings or its just the way the programs are designed. Either way I'm not a fan of it.
    Last edited by crissrudd4554; 6th Oct 2013 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes. By NOT taking control of the program's settings you allowed it to ruin your footage.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Yes. By NOT taking control of the program's settings you allowed it to ruin your footage.
    Ok dude I never said the footage was ruined. I was just curious as to why that overlap occurs. Sorry if I'm not a genius with video capturing software! :P
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    Ok dude I never said the footage was ruined.
    No, but you demonstrated it with your screen grabs.


    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    I was just curious as to why that overlap occurs.
    Because your capture and conversion settings were wrong for your footage. If you are in an NTSC region it should be 720x480, in a PAL Region 720x576. Field order (interlacing) will depend on a number of factors.

    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    Sorry if I'm not a genius with video capturing software! :P
    That's quite all right, we all had to start somewhere. Now you know that leaving second rate hardware and software at default settings gives less than optimal results.

    I suggest you re-read this thread and you will see we were all trying to point you toward the information you (and we) needed to help make this better.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Here's some pointers about EyeTV Hybrid I found on support.elgato.com. Does this answer anything???

    EyeTV Hybrid does not have an encoding chip in the hardware, to create SDTV video in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 formats. Instead, it uses software encoding.
    EyeTV Hybrid receives HD signals from digital antenna (ATSC) or unencrypted digital cable (Clear QAM) - those signals are pre-encoded by the broadcaster.

    Also I googled and found the manual to the VHS to DVD software. I used the Advance Mode. Scroll to pages 20 and 21.

    http://www.honestech.com/pdf/vhs%20to%20dvd%203_for_web.pdf
    Last edited by crissrudd4554; 6th Oct 2013 at 23:36.
    Quote Quote  
  21. http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=11

    Money quote:

    Summary
    In short, once you start using EyeTV, please customize your settings to get the best picture for your setup.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    Also I googled and found the manual to the VHS to DVD software. I used the Advance Mode. Scroll to pages 20 and 21.

    http://www.honestech.com/pdf/vhs%20to%20dvd%203_for_web.pdf
    Good. Now keep reading to at least page 23.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    No here's a sample. Note how one has the overlap and one doesn't???
    Solve problem with your config instead deinterlacing video...

    Seem that something is wrong/incorrectly configured...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by pandy View Post

    Solve problem with your config instead deinterlacing video...

    Seem that something is wrong/incorrectly configured...
    So essentially what smrpix said. I have to change the settings?? Well next time I use one of these tricky softwares I'll try it. The only reason I was referring to the ghosting effect as interlacing was because of what this article told me.

    http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New York, US
    Search Comp PM
    The video was incorrectly converted from interalced to progressive by combining (blending) two interlaced fields into one frame. It's not "ghosting". It's like a double exposure: two images in one frame.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    So essentially what smrpix said. I have to change the settings?? Well next time I use one of these tricky softwares I'll try it. The only reason I was referring to the ghosting effect as interlacing was because of what this article told me.

    http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html
    If DVD is target then i see no point in deinterlacing as DVD is designed to support interlace and in fact progressive video must be coded in interlace fashion anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I found an EyeTV Hybrid set online. I'm gonna give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Scratch that. Someone already got it. When I find time I'll try out the iGrabber thing again. Maybe there's an option to not do it convert it to progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New York, US
    Search Comp PM
    iGrabber? Another $30 wonder

    You seem to be using a Mac.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    iGrabber? Another $30 wonder

    You seem to be using a Mac.
    Yes I do have a Mac but I still have the iGrabber software. I just have to reinstall it.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads