VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    San Francisco Bay area, California, United States
    Search PM
    Hello,

I've been having judder problems for as long as I've had a large flat screen, and I'm trying to spend the time to learn about it and understand why this is happening--and what I need to do to fix it.

I'm trying to play a clip of a TV show (an old cartoon), with an unknown source, that's encoded in a H.264 MKV file at 23.976 fps. When I play it on my 240 Hz TV, I get really bad judder (at least, I think this is the right word). When panning, there is an irregular jerkiness that makes it difficult to watch. I've tried playing in my TV's internal player, and also over HDMI at 24 Hz, 30 Hz, and 60 Hz, and nothing really fixes it.

When I looked at it in Avidemux, I can see that every third frame is doubled, so frames present like this: ABCCABCC. The video seems to play at the proper rate otherwise.

Does anyone have any idea why the video might be like this? For instance, is this the result of some well-known transcoding process? Is there any legitimate reason that it should be like this, or is it a mistake?

Most importantly, how do I fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by aaronframeskipper View Post
    Does anyone have any idea why the video might be like this?
    It's animation. They are usually created at framerates less than 24fps. Apparently yours is 16fps.
    Most importantly, how do I fix it?
    It's easy enough to remove the duplicate frames, although it will mean reencoding it. And your TV may reinsert the dupe frames (and more) and you'll be back where you began.
    Quote Quote