VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a TS video that's 1080p, but my Sony Vegas runs slow when I add it to the timeline. It's a TS file and I want to "convert" it to 720p. I have Handbrake, but do TS files work on the program? Can someone please link me to a program that will help? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can do it straight out of Vegas. Import your clip, export as 720p then import the new 720p clip. Since you aren't doing any editing at that initial stage, timeline responsiveness isn't an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    you can do it straight out of Vegas. Import your clip, export as 720p then import the new 720p clip. Since you aren't doing any editing at that initial stage, timeline responsiveness isn't an issue.
    Really? That's awesome. How long would it take to export as a 720p project?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by insidesafstand View Post
    That's completely dependent on the power of your system and the codec you choose for export.

Since you will be using the file for editing, I would recommend an i-frame only codec like cineform, DNxHD or lagarith. Your file will get larger but play more easily because of reduced demand on the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by insidesafstand View Post
    That's completely dependent on the power of your system and the codec you choose for export.

Since you will be using the file for editing, I would recommend an i-frame only codec like cineform, DNxHD or lagarith. Your file will get larger but play more easily because of reduced demand on the CPU.
    That's actually a good method, will try it later. Thanks. Is there a program that can recode the 1080p to 720p for a TS file? I've seen MKV ones around.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by insidesafstand View Post
    Is there a program that can recode the 1080p to 720p for a TS file?
    Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake should work based on the fact that VidCoder1.5.3.0 beta derived from Handbrake will do the job.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Vegas.
    Please stop replying, if you're going to respond in this manner.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Handbrake should work based on the fact that VidCoder1.5.3.0 beta derived from Handbrake will do the job.

Tony
    Hi, Tony. I tried using Handbrake, but TS files weren't opening. Am I possibly missing a codec?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Vegas.
    Please stop replying, if you're going to respond in this manner.
    What's your problem ?

You asked the question in your OP and you were given the answer. You appeared happy with the answer and the follow ups.

Then you ask the same question again.

Do you really expect a different answer ?

BTW IMO changing from 1080p to 720p is not, in itself, going to speed up the import of the TS file into Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    first things first, you don't "convert" a 1080p file to 720p, you re-encode the file to a lower resolution and the quality of the 720p will be dependent on both the codec used as well as the resize filter used, some resize methods will give a softer, blurrier output than some others.

to me it's silly to do the above and then import that into Vegas in order to do more editing and then another re-encode during the exporting of the finished file.

if Vegas is running slow either during or after the import into the timeline you should check to make sure you have enough ram, editing 1080p video in a pro caliber editor can require substantial ram.

your workflow should be import file into Vegas, do your edits, then export to the desired codec and resolution in order to minimize quality lose.

you may be tempted to convert the 1080p file to a lossless format prior to importing into Vegas but i would recommend against it. a 1080p lossless file would be huge and while it would reduce the amount of cpu power needed to import into the Vegas timeline and to edit it, a lossless file, due to it's inherent large file size would require more ram to import into the timeline and edit.

there's no such thing as a free lunch in video editing, either you need significant amounts of cpu power or you need significant amounts of ram, and more often than not you need both.
    Quote Quote  
  12. and how about proxy ....

encode your file to mpeg1 some SD resolution or DV avi , load in Vegas, edit and before final render for export just replace your proxy video with original, Vegas has a function for that
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    and how about proxy ....

encode your file to mpeg1 some SD resolution or DV avi , load in Vegas, edit and before final render for export just replace your proxy video with original, Vegas has a function for that
    where exactly do you see a mention that Vegas supports anything like that:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspec

also, what you said doesn't make sense, you encode your 1080p file to mpeg-1 SD, load that into Vegas, edit it and before the final render you replace your mpeg-1 with the original? do you use Jack's magic beans to do this?

you would still need to unload your mpeg-1 from the timeline, load your source and redo the edits, unless you're claiming that Vegas would somehow remember the edits done to the smaller file and apply them automatically to the larger file, but that still requires significant amounts of time to trancode to mpeg-1, edit that file, load the original back into Vegas, have Vegas supposedly automatically apply your edits and then export the desired output.

again, there is no such thing as a free lunch, there is a basic underlying law of physics that says you can never get more energy from a system than you put in and realistically you can't even break even; this applies to all facets of life, all your suggestion does, if it would even work, is to add more work to what he wants to do.
    Quote Quote  
  14. deadrats, it just works, Vegas can replace clip with another clip, it doesn't have to be even the same kind of clip, there is no magic involved, Vegas has no idea what's in the clip while editing, only we can see picture, so you tell Vegas to change the clip he takes all reference timecodes or whatever it uses as reference and applies it on the other clip.

Not sure why everybody is afraid of this swapping thing, anybody can test it himself. No unloading etc needed, just right click on video in project media, choose Replace, and browse for new video.

You can even do it hard way, save project, close project, delete proxy video, open project, Vegas will protest that original clip is not to be found, gives choices, you choose locate for file yourself and locate original. This I tested and worked but I would not recommend this one I guess.

EDIT: looking to give you some link I googled this, so this is literally third way to do it, Vegas calls it "Add as Take"
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/871970
    Last edited by _Al_; 1st Oct 2013 at 00:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP has gone silent but methinks he needs to clarify which version of Vegas he is running. Only the Pro version will offer proxy editing ??
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The OP has gone silent but methinks he needs to clarify which version of Vegas he is running. Only the Pro version will offer proxy editing ??
    It works in Movie Studio 11 as well, (and probably earlier versions.) Right click on clip in project media window -> replace. But OP has already indicated he does not like correct answers if they involve Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok, here's a question; with this proxy feature, if you have a large file, say 10gb and it takes a long time to import it into Vegas and load it into the timeline so you decide to use this proxy feature, you would still need to spend time creating this smaller proxy file, correct? you would still need to do all your edits to this proxy file correct? and then you guys claim that all you do is choose replace file but in order to replace the file with another file the one loaded into memory must be unloaded from ram, the new one still has to be imported and the saved edits you did have to be applied to the 10gb and then it needs to be exported using the desired compressor, no? you haven't saved yourself any time, if anything you have added more time to your workflow.

i'm going to download the Vegas 12 demo and test it out for myself, timing how long it takes to just load a large file into the timeline and edit versus creating a proxy and using the above method.

i just have to see this for myself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. deadrats, you are correct in that the proxy process does not save any reencoding time.

Where it's useful is in complex projects with a lot of edits, rearranging, overlapping audio, effects, etc. One makes a proxy for a more responsive timeline and smoother editing. Small raster size, I-frame only files can make for a much more pleasant editing experience in situations where creative editorial will take up most of the time.

If one is simply cutting out large chunks and butting ends together it's probably not worth it.

Proxy editing (before it was even called that) was the standard offline-online workflow on the earliest NLEs (avid) because computers were simply not powerful enough to edit uncompressed. (And Hd space was over $1000/gig)
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Oct 2013 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote