VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of home videos recorded on 8mm and Hi8 consumers camcorders that I have imported into my computer by playing it in a Sony TRV-120 D8 camcorder and capturing over Firewire with WinDV.

I want to upload a lot of this content to places like Facebook and SmugMug so I would like to deinterlace.

What would be a good option to deinterlace this with a pretty good quality output, keeping in mind the quality of the source material is only "ok". Main goal would be something that won't degrade quality any further and is reasonable simple to do, and will hopefully run at faster than 1x time. Core i7-2600 CPU, Radeon HD 4600 GPU)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your source is now DV so unless you keep it as DV you will reduce the quality. That is inevitable.

You can import your DV into avidemux to convert to a distribution format. There are filters there to de-interlace.

Note that avidemux only accepts type-2 DV. If you created type-1 your will have to convert to type-2 before importing.

Of course there is also avisynth, which I am still learning but others can guide you. Avisynth, AFAIK, will only accept type-1 but there are many more filters to help retain the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Please post a short sample. 10 seconds of steady movement will be plenty. The chances are, since it's from a film source even if 8mm or Hi8, that it doesn't need deinterlacing but something else, field-matching and decimating or similar. If that's the case, then deinterlacing will cause the quality degradation you specifically said you don't want to happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It,s not film, it,s analog tape digitized to dvavi.

try vidcoder with detelecine and decomb set to default, deinterlace and denoise set to off.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 29th Sep 2013 at 18:44.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do not deinterlace unless adding to Youtube/etc.
    For home viewing, leave it alone.

Use Avisynth with QTGMC for the best quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    It,s not film, it,s analog tape digitized to dvavi.
    Oh, both are interlaced video? Thanks for that. A sample would still be nice.
    Quote Quote