VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    as the title says, i would like to know what apps allow you to use an external non-vfw encoder. i would like to try encoding with the divx hevc cli using some third party apps; i know that the latest version of virtual dub supposedly lets you use external encoders and some in this forum have managed to use it to encode with the divx cli but i can't get it to work for nothing. i remember the old tmpg mpeg encoder used to let you specify an external audio encoder so i was wondering what apps are available that do the same for external video encoders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think that pretty much all "GUI" apps are available for this and they get pretty complicated to learn and setup. for someone (like you and i) who just want to get up and running the moment we select the icon/shortcut, such gui's can be unforgiving. anyway. megui and avidemux are two such examples, i've never been able to figure out, to get running in a few clicks, no matter how popular they are. there are a lot of initial settings to make among other things. i myself prefer the click and go or drag/drop method. but things get a bit more complicated than that if you want to go further in the process of video encoding.

anyway, the closest you will get to a non-complicated app is virtualdub v1.10.3, though is still beta but works quite well, even for the task you are seeking. perhaps the problem you were having with vdub is the muxing part. you can always mux with mp4box after the encode. remember to use the Osmo4 player to play the muxed file since *nothing* else will play them at this time.

vdub v1.10.3 is a tad complicated to setup at first. it took me a few tries to figure it out on my own, but is probably what you will ultimately use.
    Last edited by vhelp; 29th Sep 2013 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -- mini guide to setting up virtualdub in external encoder mode --

note, when it comes to using "external encoders" inside virtualdub, the video processing
    (saving) is different. instead of file\save-as (or, F7), it is file\export\using external encoder..
    there is no short-cut key, unfortunately. the developer could have made it, Shift-F7, oh well.

01. open virtualdub v1.10.3
    02. load in your video source, .avi or .avs, do your filters, cuts/edts/mark sections/etc.
    03. go to menu\Options\External encoders...
    04. select the Encoders tab
    05. for the 1st time, it will have no entries, until you add them for Encoders.
    06. select the [Add] button to add a new entry, and give it a name to mean something or use the default.
    07. next, select the [Encoders] tab
    08. click the [Add] button
    09. select [Edit...] button
    10. select Type and change to "Video encoder"
    11. for Program, click the [...] button and locate the console app, i.e., divx265.exe
    12. for Command arguments, type this entry: -i - -s %(width)x%(height) -br 4000 -o "%(tempvideofile)"
    13. (you can make any change you want here, bitrate, etc.)
    14. (you another gui tool that is more flexible at changing/reviewing params quickly)
    15. (then once you have working template, come back here and enter it, permanently)
    16. for Output filename, type this entry: %(outputname)
    17. (usually, it will enter a default param, but you can make final adjustments if necessary)
    18. now, select [Ok] button to accept your entry
    19. now, select the [Encoder Sets] tab
    20. now, select the entry, "Encoder Set 1" if that is what you left it at.
    21. and then, select [Edit...] button
    22. in the Video encoder drop-down, select the profile you want to map to "Encoder Set 1" to.
    23. (do the same for Audio encoder, if you made entries for that. i prefer to mux audio separately)
    24. (so leave as (None) if that is the case)
    25. (same for Multiplexer)
    26. in the File description, enter what you want to call it, to show in the main tab's config.
    27. in the File extension, enter whatever you want to call it, i call it hm10
    28. and select [OK] button
    29. and then select [OK] button to complete the Configure External Encoders entries.
    30. now, select menu\File\Export\Using external encoder...
    31. now, select the profile "Encoder Set 1" or the name you used for it.
    32. and select [OK] button.
    33. the Export via external encoder dialbox will come up,
    34. enter a filename that represents your video, i.e., "video.vdub.divx265.hm10"
    35. and select [Save] button. it will begin encoding via the external divx265.exe encoder and a progress dialog appears
    36. (once it completes the encode, the progress dialog box will disapear and your video has completed)
    37. finished
    38. muxing audio with video into .mp4 for the Osmo4 sw player
    39. using a gui of your choice or windows dos console window, run the following mp4box muxing process.
    40. for muxing video-only to .mp4, do the following:
    40. mp4box -add "g:\video.vdub.divx265.hm10":FMT=HEVC -fps 23.976 -new "g:\video.vdub.divx265.mp4"
    41. (note, for -fps, be sure it matches what you encoded to, 23.976, 29.970, etc)
    42. for muxing audio/video to .mp4, do the following:
    43. mp4box -add "g:\video.vdub.divx265.hm10":FMT=HEVC -fps 23.976 -add "g:\audio.aac" -new "g:\video.vdub.divx265.mp4"
    44. finished, enjoy..

repeat steps 03..44 for all your "external" console apps. some may prove difficult to setup
    or else fail. it all depends on the parameter methods for those apps.

and last, note the special piping command, '-' as found between the -i and -s (-i - -s) in the
    example steps above. this is the piping command for virtualdub and divx265, and other apps that
    allow piping through this method.

and, follow the same routine above, for your "external" console app, only changing to whatever
    your console apps params offer.
    Quote Quote