VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using the free MKVtoolnix can you cut out parts from a mkv including all audio and subtitle tracks. It has NO video preview so you must type in the cut points manually. Just use a video player like MPC-HC and note the cut points you want.

Tools required:
    MKVtoolnix.

New MKVtoolnixGUI Guide: (scroll down for old MKVMergeGUI/MMG GUIDE)
    Install MKVtoolnix and then start MKVToolnix-GUI.
    Add your mkv video file(you can also add most other video files but it might not work to cut/mux all formats).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mkvtoolnixgui.png
Views:	10259
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	35422

Click on the Output tab.
    Under Splitting and Split mode choose split by parts based on timecodes
    Type in the part you want to extract like 00:21:00-00:22:00
    You can also add more parts, then just add a , like 00:21:00-00:22:00,00:24:00-00:25:00
    Or if you want to just remove one a single part at the middle of the video then type in 00:00:00-00:45:00,00:47:00-01:50:00
    Hit Start muxing to extract the new mkv file.

Name:	mkvtoolnixgui2.png
Views:	18793
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	35423

Click job output to check the process.
    Check the new file inte output destination(by default same folder as your input file).

Name:	mkvtoolnixgui3.png
Views:	7633
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	35424

Done!

Old MMG/MKVMergeGUI Guide:
    Install MKVtoolnix and then start MKVmerge GUI (or the mmg.exe in the mkvtoolnix folder).
    Add your mkv video file(you can also add most other video files but it might not work to cut/mux all formats).

Name:	mmg1.png
Views:	100704
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	20222

Click on the Global tab.
    Under Splitting and Split mode choose split by parts based on timecodes
    Type in the part you want to extract like 00:21:00-00:22:00
    You can also add more parts, then just add a , like 00:21:00-00:22:00,00:24:00-00:25:00
    Or if you want to just remove one a single part at the middle of the video then type in 00:00:00-00:45:00,00:47:00-01:50:00
    Hit Start muxing to extract the new mkv file.

Name:	mmg2.png
Views:	100896
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	20221

Name:	mmg3.png
Views:	97975
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	20223

Done!

Problems:
    You can't cut exactly because you can only cut at keyframes and those can be several seconds a part. If you must cut exactly try then Tmpgenc Smart Renderer, SolveigMM Video Splitter or Videoredo. Those are not free though.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 2nd Feb 2016 at 04:14. Reason: Updated with new gui
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, are you aware of being able to change the audio from jpn to eng. on multiple files using a batch? I've tried so many times but keep getting errors can you help me please?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Boy, been having an impossible time doing a simple thing and it just won't work.
    Registered and found this thread and that last bit you said "You can't cut exactly because you can only cut at keyframes ..." suggests there is no easy hope for me, but I did all that to get here, may as well ask, eh?
    I have an MKV that has this five seconds of "left rear ... left surround ... BEEP" and then the movie starts just fine. But it didn't have subtitles, so downloaded as a separate .srt file and it's, of course five seconds early.
    Mostly tried "mkvmerge.exe -o test.mkv --split timecodes:00:05 [filename.mkv]
    and tried times of --> 00:02, 00:00.1 & 00:00.01
    tried mmg.exe @ 5 seconds
    All those results chopped off nine seconds, so the subtitles went from five seconds early to four seconds late.
    Tried 00:00 and it clipped off nothing.
    So, finally used "subtitle edit" and now it's all in sync.
    But all that work and I've still got "left rear ... left surround ... BEEP" at the beginning.
    I suppose I could combine and chop off nine seconds, move the subtitle back four, but I lose the initial fade in. But possibly the best solution.
    The GUI doesn't like me asking for a maximum of 1 file (using "00:00:05-02:00:00")
    The command line produces a nine second "test-000.mkv", which I suppose I could edit correctly with a full re-encode and then merge the four seconds back onto the front to preserve the initial fade in. Lot of work (especially getting used to new software).
    Do you think that would actually work (assuming I keep size & frame rate the same).
    I remember having a devil of a time doing this sort of thing long ago on AVI files with VirtualDub (kept refusing to add the two files because of a tiny fractional difference in frame rates).
    The horrible thing is that I only need the subtitles for a minute or two and it seems the studios are doing this on purpose. Noticed it first in SALT, then IRON MAN I, and then I stopped keeping track. Lot of work they make me go through just to get a few lines, like Black Widow talking Russian in Avengers 2012. Just noticed all my examples point to "A RUSSIAN PLOT!".
    Heh
    sorry if this is a waste of time, that last part about recombining original footage with a tiny bit of re-encoded inches I am really curious if it'll work the first time or just becomes a huge pain in the pixels.
    Thank you,
    pcG
    Last edited by pcGnome; 2nd May 2014 at 06:23. Reason: "<" & ">" I used as brackets for filename.mkv - none of it showed up
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *sigh* create two files by splitting at the 9 second mark with MKVMerge. Make an AVISynth script for the first '9 second file' and trim the first five seconds off, re-encode the remaining four seconds while trying to keep the same settings as the original encode, append the rest of the movie onto the new encode. There'll be a slight degradation of quality in the first four seconds but who cares?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Using the free MKVtoolnix can you cut out parts from a mkv including all audio and subtitle tracks. It has NO video preview so you must type in the cut points manually. Just use a video player like MPC-HC and note the cut points you want.
    Thanks for this nice easy simple guide
    but i get this error
    mkvmerge v7.0.0 ('Where We Going') 32bit built on Jun 9 2014 15:08:34

Error: The file 'D:\xxxr\xxx-720p-x264.mkv' could not be opened for reading: open file error.

i put xxx to hide my files name, don't think of something else
    please tell me why this happens and how to fix it? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the video details. Use mediainfoxp and copy everything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. well, it worked, i only needed to select the added file, but i have one more questions, the DVD files, like VOB and such, can we split these too? or do we need to find a mkv file as well ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to extract from MKV 5.1 or 7.1 - the Center track only with video and audio that is unprocessesed or transcoded.

So resulting MKV would be an identical clone of original MKV that has Video and Center Audio Dialogue Track Only?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a mp4 to mkv converter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Is there a mp4 to mkv converter?
    Simple! Just drag the mp4 file into the input window of MKVMergeGui.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theGuruWithin View Post
    Is there a way to extract from MKV 5.1 or 7.1 - the Center track only with video and audio that is unprocessesed or transcoded.

So resulting MKV would be an identical clone of original MKV that has Video and Center Audio Dialogue Track Only?
    Extract the audio from the MKV fie and process the audio in an audio editor to produce a centre track dialog only then mux the new audio into the original mkv either leaving the original or remove the original. MKV's can support many soundtracks. Use MKVMergeGui to do this.

PS I would post another request under the title "How to extract the centre channel from a 5.1 or 7.1 track and let the audio guru's give their suggestions...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can i cut at multiple times ? Then when input the times, cut all at once? John
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Can i cut at multiple times ? Then when input the times, cut all at once? John
    Select the parts you want to keep:
    00:21:00-00:22:00,00:24:00-00:25:00
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have now updated the guide with the new MKVToolnixGui.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 29th Jan 2016 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This merge in old version

Where merge in new version
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you my friend
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    1. This is missing a "+". A "+" will make mkvmerge append the part to the previous one instead of creating a new file.
    2. You don't need to explicitly enter start or end time. Start time isn't a problem as it is always 00:00:00, I believe. But end time would need to be looked up. You can just put "-" to beginning and end.

Actually remove part in middle (and shorter):
    -00:45:00,+00:47:00-

In this case the hours or double 0s aren't even need so we can shorten even more:
    -45:0,+47:0-
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How abort work like old version

Quote Quote  
  19. "Job output">"Abort job"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    "Job output">"Abort job"
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. thanks for this tuts..
    but want to just remove one a single part at the middle of the video ... that thing not working properly !!
    i post time stamp duration part in middle of the clip..but output are saved in split files... do we need to merge them all to make it a single file ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Read post #18.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Read post #18.
    oppzz i miss it friend.. ok will go in that method...
    than give a feedback
    Quote Quote