VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Braveheart
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried to use the new Sony software as suggested on this forum but something is wrong
    I have 5 m2ts files I wish to record in high quality. On a std DVD they would take up 5.4GB of space so I would need to shorten the files to fit them on a std DVD. HOWEVER when I use the software to try and record to Blu-ray disc I am very surprised
    The size of the 5 files is only 2.23 GB !! Surely if I want higher quality on Blu-ray the files should be bigger unless of course it is the Sony software because their idea of Blu-ray quality is only 50i/25p and I am not sure but is this LESS quality than a std DVD disc ?

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me to make high quality recordings from m2ts files than a standard DVD disc

many thanks, Rob.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You could always burn as data to a double layer dvd. Verbatim brand would be the best discs available to you. Use ImgBurn for the actual burn to the disc.

If you want the m2ts files as data on a blu ray, ImgBurn can do this also. What are you using for playback?

If you want the m2ts files as blu ray video format, on a blu ray disc, you might want to use MultiAVCHD to make a menu to select each one. By the way, just since they are m2ts format now, does not mean that they are necessarily compliant to the specifications needed for blu ray video. They may, or may not need to be re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The descrepancy is likely in the output type you are choosing. If you are choosing "DVD" format, then the source files get converted to DVD spec mpeg2 (thus they get bigger). Output type (ie: DVD or Blu-Ray) and disc type are two different things.

Set the output to Blu-Ray and burn to whatever type disc is needed to hold the file size (ie: DVD SL, DVD DL, Blu-Ray, etc.).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about a bit more information like what is the name of the " new Sony software" and what are the settings you use. Then someone might be able to work out what is going on.

My speculation:
    It sounds like you are authoring a DVD so in the process of DVD authoring (instead of just treating the DVD medium as data) the quality is reduced to 520p which is the DVD standard. If you burn as data then whatever the file resolution is to start with remains just as if you copied onto a memory stick.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. In addition to the other information requested, what is the running time of the original files? Comparing file sizes between two completely different formats is too ambiguous on its own.
    Quote Quote