VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. People I encoded a video small enough to fit it into a DVD+R with menus and all. After I burned it the Blu-ray player gave me a "Cannot operate this disc" message. How can I make work such a disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Big-Louis-1971 View Post
    How can I make work such a disc?
    How did you author it for Blu-Ray? And not all players will accept Blu-Ray burned to a DVDR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.0.11.39 and my player is a Sony BDP-S5100.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot say that this is absolutely the case for your Sony player as I deliberately do not buy or keep up with Sony players, but some BD players are known to require that BluRay content on DVD discs be in AVCHD format and not BD format. I know nothing about TMPGenc Authoring Works, but you might try having it produce AVCHD output if you can. If you have a DVD+RW disc, try burning to that so you don't waste a disc while testing. Sony does actually support AVCDH format so that really should work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big-Louis-1971 View Post
    People I encoded a video small enough to fit it into a DVD+R with menus and all. After I burned it the Blu-ray player gave me a "Cannot operate this disc" message. How can I make work such a disc?
    I would not expect to find any Blu-Ray player, let alone one from Sony that accepts Blu-Ray authored material on a DVD. AVCHD was developed jointly by Sony and Panasonic for the purpose of storing and playing HD video on DVD. Not all Blu-Ray players accept AVCHD discs, but yours does and that is what you should be using for authored HD material on DVD.

The manual for your player doesn't go into detail on the type of content allowed for each of the optical disc types it plays. However, I have the manual for an LG model handy which does list the playable content for each type of disc media, so I looked at it for comparison. DVD video mode discs, DVD + video data files and DVD + AVCHD are on the list. DVD + Blu-Ray is not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I would not expect to find any Blu-Ray player, let alone one from Sony that accepts Blu-Ray authored material on a DVD. AVCHD was developed jointly by Sony and Panasonic for the purpose of storing and playing HD video on DVD. Not all Blu-Ray players accept AVCHD discs, but yours does and that is what you should be using for authored HD material on DVD.
    Some of the Chinese ones allow BD format on DVD discs, even though it's outside the standards. It's just like putting DVD content on CD-R discs. It is or at least years ago it was possible to find players that let you do it, but it's outside the standards to support it. I've got an Insignia BluRay player and I'm sure it allowed BD content on DVD discs to be played, but it has been a while since I've tried to do anything like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I burn BlueRay structure to DVDR and DVD-DL frequently and my Sony 380 and 370 play them without any problem. Same for my LG630. My LG125 does require AVCHD however. It doesn't seem that playing BR on DVD is that uncommon or am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdps-380 blu-ray won't play blu-ray structure on dvd,has to be avchd.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. But can I make menus with the AVCHD file structure and what tool should I use for such a task?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Multiavchd for menus and non menu or tsmuxer for non menu only.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks, I'll try MultiAVCHD and post the results.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It worked people but with a simple menu. Now I need to figure out how to do better menus. The files weren't even re-encoded and remained almost the same size. The whole process took less than twenty minutes. The best thing is that the program is free. Bottom line, I'm 100% happy with the program.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try dvdfab blueray to dvd option
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVCHDpatcher on your original bluray structure, then burn to dvdr. Should work, I do it all the time for small sized projects. Works fine on my Panasonic BluRay player and many others I've tried.

#Note: You need to keep bitrate below 20 mbps when using dvd media.
    Last edited by racer-x; 27th Sep 2013 at 04:16.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The below are not standard with the BD spec:
    BD video on a DvD disc
    DvD video on a BD disc

Playback of such content is only subject to the player's leniency and/or ability. There is no obligation or promise, only an x-factor.

The below are also, just the same, not standard with the BD spec:
    DvD video on a DvD disc
    AVCHD on anything

However, they are added by many/most players as features. Yes, DvD video on a DvD is actually just a feature (but a can't-be-without one). So is AVCHD, but the player should announce it, such as with a logo, very much like later generation CD players allow non-standard MP3 - as a feature.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote