VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I shot some videos for a client that need to be replaced with the old videos on their DVD.
    They only have the original DVD in pal and 1 in NTSC.

This is dvd structure:

There are about 8 different languages on the dvd.

I copied the VOB 3_3 file, replaced the new videos on top of the old and export it back to a vob, and replaced with the old. That obviously didnt do it. the new file was all shorter in minutes.

I have dvdremake on my computer(if this helps here is a screen shot)this is one of the program chains:
    The movies are on PGC 18, 19 & 20
    As you see they are apparently separate files.

Name:  program chains.PNG
Views: 955
Size:  18.7 KB

I don't really know anything about this kind of stuff. But i am guessing its gonna be hard.

Any help is appreciated to help me fix this.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you add/replace titles in dvdremake pro?

You can extract the titles from the old dvd with pgcdemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. wel there is a replace button on there...but i doesnt not seem to work. But i dont know really what i am doing also with that program;.
    The files that i am replacing it with, do they need to be vob files(i made one with Dvd encore).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why would i need to extract the titles?
    I take a look at the program
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is an impossible task. DVD does not support mixed PAL and NTSC and no authoring application that enforces the standards will allow you to do this.

What you really need to do is just make new DVDs, one for PAL and one for NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This is an impossible task. DVD does not support mixed PAL and NTSC and no authoring application that enforces the standards will allow you to do this.

What you really need to do is just make new DVDs, one for PAL and one for NTSC.

My question is how to replace a videofile on vob files. You thing this is not possible.
    They are seperate dvds so, i would need to do the same action over...

I just dont know i can do this..any help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just pull the titles from the disc and make a new DVD with the new material.
    You could have been done by now if you followed Baldrick and JMan's advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Use the 'Replace' button in VobBlanker to replace titles. Follow this guide and scroll down to 'Program chain (PGC) Blanking'. But rather than hitting the 'Blank' button, hit 'Replace', scroll to the replacing DVD you made, and use that instead:

http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/blanking/index.php

As mentioned, don't mix PAL and NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Use the 'Replace' button in VobBlanker to replace titles. Follow this guide and scroll down to 'Program chain (PGC) Blanking'. But rather than hitting the 'Blank' button, hit 'Replace', scroll to the replacing DVD you made, and use that instead:

http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/blanking/index.php

As mentioned, don't mix PAL and NTSC.
    I check it tomorrow. But just to make clear.

I need to make a dvd (let call it nr 2)(vob and other files) with the things i want to replace with the title DVD 1.
    Does the structure of DVD 2 matter?

Whats the actual extention file that needs to be replaced(ifu, vob, mpeg...)?

They can differ in lenght and mb's?

ps=
    The ntsc dvd would be the same process. I have identical files in pal en ntsc. They wont be mixed! They are seperate dvds.

T
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tillimanjaro View Post
    Does the structure of DVD 2 matter?
    Well, it has to be a properly authored DVD (with IFOs, BUPs, as well as the VOB(s)). And if the PGC to be replaced has chapters (cells), it'll be easier if the replacing DVD has the same number of cells. That's not always strictly necessary, though, but you'll get a message about the number of cells not being the same.
    Whats the actual extention file that needs to be replaced(ifu, vob, mpeg...)?
    After hitting the 'Replace' button in VobBlanker, you scroll to the VTS_01_0.IFO of the replacing DVD.
    They can differ in lenght and mb's?
    Yes, that doesn't matter. But, as I mentioned the number of cells might matter. The replacing DVD must have the same or fewer cells (chapters) as compared to the original one or it won't be transferred over entirely. If neither has any chapters (if the entire title consists of just a single chapter), then you don't have to worry about any of that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. hey there,

This treat is from a while back. Between other jobs i managed finally do this.

It worked by replacing de new vob(the part that need to be replaced, not the full video) in the cell tab of VOBBLANKER.
    However, after exporting the video; When i push the "play all" button it shows the old video.
    When i go to the different titles, it plays correct. Witch is ok by me. People wont play all i think.

It plays ok when on HDisc. When i burn it to DISC, the DVD wont play good at all.
    It takes him long to recognize the dvd. It plays the titles, but there is no audio...

I am using Toast (mac to burn) or this free software calle CD burner on Windows..
    The file is 7.6 gig and is burned on a dual layer btw

Being really frustated here. I was thinking of making a new dvd from scrath, BUT the dvd containes 8 languages'(from english to Korean..) only typing those title would be hard..
    T
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tillimanjaro View Post
    People wont play all i think.
    Some people will, and the ones that have problem will be angry with your client, who may lose business and and be angry with you.

For your own sake, please do it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You managed to finally do this - incorrectly. Seriously, you may have been successful in replacing certain VOBs with certain other VOBs, but you didn't make a VALID dvd. You couldn't have, for the simple reason that jman98 and manono already told you: you cannot create a legitimate, valid DVD-Video title that has a mix of NTSC & PAL within the same titleset. Verboten! ja?

And just because you "got it to play" from the HDD doesn't surprise me at all. PC VOB playback software is noted for being forgiving of file/folder material on its HDD. But it acts differently with actual burned or stamped discs. And hardware devices are SURE to have problems.

So what you have to do is:
    1. Demux both titles to their elementary audio+video+subtitle streams
    2. Create a new video editing project in a good NLE - you'll have to pick either NTSC or PAL and then stick with it throughout. This should mainly depend on where you or your clients/audience resides.
    3. Load both titles into the project and line them up to make sure they have the same EDL & length (aka "sync" them up)
    4. Render out a NEW master title. Hopefully, it will smart-render and only have to re-encode the non-native system's material.
    5. Author a brand new DVD.
    6. Burn it & test it.

ONLY with that workflow can you be assured of success. And, yes, there will be quality loss on the re-encoded portion of the material, but hopefully it won't be that noticeable.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You managed to finally do this - incorrectly. Seriously, you may have been successful in replacing certain VOBs with certain other VOBs, but you didn't make a VALID dvd. You couldn't have, for the simple reason that jman98 and manono already told you: you cannot create a legitimate, valid DVD-Video title that has a mix of NTSC & PAL within the same titleset. Verboten! ja?

And just because you "got it to play" from the HDD doesn't surprise me at all. PC VOB playback software is noted for being forgiving of file/folder material on its HDD. But it acts differently with actual burned or stamped discs. And hardware devices are SURE to have problems.

2. Create a new video editing project in a good NLE - you'll have to pick either NTSC or PAL and then stick with it throughout. This should mainly depend on where you or your clients/audience resides.
    3. Load both titles into the project and line them up to make sure they have the same EDL & length (aka "sync" them up)
    4. Render out a NEW master title. Hopefully, it will smart-render and only have to re-encode the non-native system's material.
    6. Burn it & test it.

ONLY with that workflow can you be assured of success. And, yes, there will be quality loss on the re-encoded portion of the material, but hopefully it won't be that noticeable.

Scott
    I dont now were you got the mixing pal and ntsc from. I never did.

But thanks for your help! ill check that tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by tillimanjaro View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

6. Burn it & test it.

Scott
    I dont now were you got the mixing pal and ntsc from. I never did.

But thanks for your help! ill check that tomorrow.

actually you did with this statement here:

Originally Posted by tillimanjaro View Post
    Hello,

I shot some videos for a client that need to be replaced with the old videos on their DVD.
    If you finally get your replacement clips in the right format, then yes vob blanker and dvdremakepro will do what you want, though you will have some other tinkering as well
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post

Hello,

No, he only said there he had the 2 DVDs of the same material (making allowances for the language problem). He said a couple of times he wouldn't be mixing them, particularly here:

ps=
    The ntsc dvd would be the same process. I have identical files in pal en ntsc. They wont be mixed! They are seperate dvds.
    I'm not real sure what the problem is though, because when done properly then the 'Play All' button still works as it should. His statement:
    When i push the "play all" button it shows the old video.
    seems to indicate the replacing wasn't done correctly at all because the original video (the one being replaced) should be completely gone.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'll say this one more time and then I'll shut up. If you're doing it for yourself, go with whatever adventurous hack you like. If you're doing it for a client, do it correctly or it will end in tears.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post

Hello,

No, he only said there he had the 2 DVDs of the same material (making allowances for the language problem). He said a couple of times he wouldn't be mixing them, particularly here:

ps=
    I'm not real sure what the problem is though, because when done properly then the 'Play All' button still works as it should. His statement:
    When i push the "play all" button it shows the old video.
    seems to indicate the replacing wasn't done correctly at all because the original video (the one being replaced) should be completely gone.

Yeah nothing against the original poster but I got lost a little with the English. Even with dvdremake I could explain how he could just add the new material as new pgcs and then substitute the older blocks with the newer PGC material, etc, but I have a feeling it might shoot over his head. Hmm does Vobblanker overwrite or does it save the new dvd somewhere else other than the original folder? If it rebuilds and saves a new disc into another folder maybe then he is just playing his previous version and unaware his modified one was saved to some place else?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Hmm does Vobblanker overwrite or does it save the new dvd somewhere else other than the original folder?
    It makes you choose a new destination, different from the source location.
    ...unaware his modified one was saved to some place else?
    It's possible, I suppose, but VobBlanker won't 'Process' the changes until after you've designated a new 'Output Folder'.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes, due my English there were some misunderstandings.
    Please note i have never done this(i this doesnt need to be a discussion). I am aware my client needs to be happy. Ive been working 10 years for companys. But dvd authoring isnt a thing i do much(all so this doesnt need to be a discussion).

Please dont shoot torpedo's to my head. Below step by step what i dealing with.

Looking(good) at the dvd again. I realized there are 11 languages. And apparently a dvd program(like encore) allows 8 audiotracks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot encore.png
Views:	277
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	20479
    So the dude that made the dvd(i assume) needed to make a copy of the full movie to add the 3 extra audiotracks.

This is my original content(for NTSC and PAL it's more ore less the same). I wont be mixing them

Name:	original DVD.png
Views:	146
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	20480

This when open demux

Name:	demux opening files.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	20481

Output demux:

Name:	demux exported.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	20482

IMPORTANT!
    This is a timeline in Premiere. On the top the new content is on the old video. However there is some time differences.
    Can i close that gab?
    The new files have a different audio track(it just a song, no voice over).

Name:	timeline premiere.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	20483

This is videoblanker when i open the original dvd(pal)

Name:	vobblanker.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	20484

Hope it a bit more clear now.

T
    Quote Quote