VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I have been trying to convert a .avi video (PAL widescreen; image size 720x576; duration-01:01:56; file size 13.1GB) video to .mp4 using adobe media encoder CS4 with format set to 'h.264' and preset set to 'PAL DV Widescreen High Quality'. The resultant file is a .mp4 with file size of 1.38Gb. It plays fine on my laptop but this file wont play on my Sony Bravia TV via the USB.
    A smaller .mp4 file (duration 00:05:15) created using the same conversion settings plays just fine on the same tv using the same thumb drive.
    I have tried setting a lower Target Bitrate to get a smaller file (582mb) but that wont play either. Each time, the TV displays the message - 'Playback not available'.
    Somebody please help and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Am I using the wrong container(H.264)? Or is it the TV set?
    Other movie files with even 850 mb file size play fine. mkv files around 700 mb in size play without any problems too.
    I'd really appreciate help in solving this problem.
    Thanks in anticipation..
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try convert with something else like handbrake. Use the universal presets.

And this is not any dvd ripping/conversion. Moving you to our video conversion section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not likely, but maybe the audio is the problem. Did you check to see if the audio is something the TV allows for MP4 files?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry bout that. Thanks for the replies. Will give handbrake a try and report back with the results... Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys!
    Glad to state that 'handbrake' did the trick. I can now play a 1.38 GB .mp4 file on the said TV with no problems. Of course handbrake gave the .m4v output file extension which just had to be renamed to .mp4. Thanks Baldrick and thanks to VideoHelp!
    By the way, The interlaced video I first tried produced too many noticeable horizontal lines which made viewing awful. I had convert the source video a second time with the 'Fast' option selected under the Deinterlace box in the 'Filters Tab' . Now with the deinterlaced video, things are looking great.
    I didn't look into the audio aspects since handbrake did the trick. But thanks usually_quiet.
    The region I come from uses the PAL interlaced standard in case anyone's wondering.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Keso; 24th Sep 2013 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote