VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. my deepest apologies i wasnt aware that you had a medical condition, i hope its not to serious and hope your ok, hope you accept my apology, yeah hopefully the cable will come tomorrow as its coming from Germany and is already in the UK depot so fingers crossed it will be here tomorrow, sorry again
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by brookey12 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Connect the composite output of the Sky box to a TV and see if you get a picture.
    Just found one of these cables http://tinyurl.com/pzzjqug in the cupboard and connected it from the sky box to the tv and put it on channel "AV" and yes it works fine
    So you have verified that the composite output on the Sky box is active. You should be able to capture that with the ElGato. Unless it is protected by CGMS-A.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brookey12 View Post
    Connect the composite output of the Sky box to a TV and see if you get a picture.
    Just found one of these cables http://tinyurl.com/pzzjqug in the cupboard and connected it from the sky box to the tv and put it on channel "AV" and yes it works fine
    Never doubted that. Thought I mentioned earlier that I use something similar for analogue captures from my $kyHD box even when the hdmi cable is connected.

Like I said, the 'acid test' is connecting that cable to the Elgato adapter, receiving a picture and sound on your PC and capturing what you see.

But do report back. So many topics end 'in the air' so we never really know what is working or not. And others, who have similar ideas, will then be able to use the topic as a point of reference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you have verified that the composite output on the Sky box is active. You should be able to capture that with the ElGato. Unless it is protected by CGMS-A.
    There are three classes of transmission.

1. Freeview/Freesat. No encryption. Will record over analogue
    2. Standard subscripton. No encryption. Will record over analogue.
    3. Box Office./Pay-Per-View. Films certainly were encrypted in the SD days. I expect they still are but this cheap-skate does not buy so can not check. PPV sport events under SD were, however, not encypted as I used to record WWE (in the days when it was worth recording)
    Quote Quote  
  5. oK cool thanks guys ill report back tomorrow
    Quote Quote  
  6. Note that CGMS-A isn't encryption, it's a flag in the overscan region of an analog signal that tells devices whether the signal is allowed to be recorded or not. Some devices respond to the signal, some do not. And yes, it can be applied to some channels and not others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Note that CGMS-A isn't encryption, it's a flag in the overscan region of an analog signal that tells devices whether the signal is allowed to be recorded or not. Some devices respond to the signal, some do not. And yes, it can be applied to some channels and not others.
    Quite. And just so that I cover my own tail I have not checked every channel - there are a lot of them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well guys the splitter came this morning (no sign of the elgato cable yet) here it is: http://tinyurl.com/nlkr9tnand im pleased to confirm it does get rid of the HDCP error 100%, connected it like this (for people visiting this thread): HDMI Lead from Sky receiver to the HDMI input on the splitter, then from the HDMI Output on the splitter to the TV and another Hdmi output to the HDMI Input of the Elgato Game Capture HD,

Woohoo, Im happy as a pig in s**t!!!
    As soon as the Elgato cable comes ill let u know if that works as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So. Have you really tested this and actually recorded from $ky to your HDD with the Elgato ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah recorded as well and played back on my pc via vlc player. The elgato cable just arrived via ups so gonna test it when the misses takes the kids to gymnastics
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool.

Now although I have no intention myself of going down this path (I can already record $ky by various means without have $ky+) it would still be useful to know how the Elgato handles video capture. I assume since it is geared up for game capture rather than video it is capturing progressive. Maybe you can load a sample capture into mediainfo and copy/paste the text report here.

Have you also tested this on several channels, freesat ones such as BBC & ITV and subscription ones such a $ky1 etc. just in case the one you chose really did not have hdcp in the first place ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Well guys the splitter came this morning (no sign of the elgato cable yet) here it is: http://tinyurl.com/nlkr9tnand im pleased to confirm it does get rid of the HDCP error 100%
    Nice. Must be an updated version from mine (which it would have to be if it really supports HDMI 1.4). Would you mind unscrewing the cover and taking a pic of the inside? And the outside for that matter.
    Quote Quote