VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would anyone still have one of these?

Mine developed a major dropout fault. I searched the net, and found a solution to it. It seems there are two contacts that do not make proper contact. They need to be soldered. But it is not clear to me which ones. I don't want to FU the machine by trying to fix it myself.
    If you have one of these machines I'd be grateful for some help.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t151239-major_dropout
    Quote Quote  
  2. I fixed mine with that procedure.

I remember now -- I didn't solder anything, I just cleaned the leaf spring contact area with a small strip of sandpaper. That's only a temporary fix, of course. The contacts will corrode again after a while. But I don't use the deck often. In fact, I haven't used it in years.

I just dug it out of the closet and tried it -- comets. Just touching a screwdriver tip between the copper leaf spring and the silver chassis eliminated the comets. Cleaning again with a piece of sandpaper worked.

If you wondering where the leaf spring is. With the unit open, standing at the front, look directly behind the drum. You'll see two copper "tabs" sticking out from under the silver metal frame that holds the drum and tape mechanism. The one on the left is responsible for grounding that frame and the other electronics. I pushed down on the spring, slid a piece of sandpaper in the gap, let up on the spring, then pulled the sandpaper out. Repeated that a few times with the grit side up, the with the grit side down.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Sep 2013 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I fixed mine with that procedure.

I remember now -- I didn't solder anything, I just cleaned the leaf spring contact area with a small strip of sandpaper. That's only a temporary fix, of course. The contacts will corrode again after a while. But I don't use the deck often. In fact, I haven't used it in years.

I just dug it out of the closet and tried it -- comets. Just touching a screwdriver tip between the copper leaf spring and the silver chassis eliminated the comets. Cleaning again with a piece of sandpaper worked.

If you wondering where the leaf spring is. With the unit open, standing at the front, look directly behind the drum. You'll see two copper "tabs" sticking out from under the silver metal frame that holds the drum and tape mechanism. The one on the left is responsible for grounding that frame and the other electronics. I pushed down on the spring, slid a piece of sandpaper in the gap, let up on the spring, then pulled the sandpaper out. Repeated that a few times with the grit side up, the with the grit side down.
    So thankful !!
    I was fearing that I was the only one left on the planet with one of these. When it worked it was great. I have a couple of PAL tapes I want to transfer. Now I can.
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote