VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    About five years ago I bought a Toshiba DVD video player/recorder. I got the recorder feature so I could could keep movies and TV shows of enduring internist to me. I make these DVDs by first recording the show on my Comcast DVR and later transferring it to a DVD using the Toshiba unit. I've recorded about ten features over these five year, so I do it rarely, but I paid extra to get the recording feature for the rare times I need it. It's been about a year since I recorded the last movie, but last week I spent time relearning how (that's how rarely I use it) and tried to record a favorite movie from years ago which I had never seen on TV before. I got a strange error message I had never seen before.I called Toshiba and they said, "Though the message does not relate to the problem, you're getting the message because of piracy protection currently being put on movies. This is usually done on premium channels." The movie wasn't on a premium channel, but it appears that was the problem, because with some testing I determined it will let me record ordinary shows, but if I try to record a movie it throws up this error message.

I'm not trying to pirate, distribute or resell anything, I just want to record a few things for my own use. In googling around they seem to say you're allowed to record one copy, but it's not letting me do even one.

So, my question: Is there anyway around this obstacle? If not, buying the recorder feature was a waste of money.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders that obey copy protection flags will only record to their hard drive (if it is a model with a hard drive) or to DVD media that is CPRM compliant (if it is a model without a hard drive). I think recent Toshibas and most other brands require special CPRM-compliant DVD-RW discs, which are nearly impossible to get in the US, while Panasonic DVD recorders require DVD-RAM discs. However, even with the correct DVD media, you would have to record the program as it airs. You can't record copy-once programming previously recorded by the Comcast DVR using a DVD recorder. Once on the Comcast DVR, you have your only copy, and the flag gets changed to 'copy never" when the recording is played.

The last DVD-RW discs that were labeled as CPRM-compliant which I was able to find for someone were sold at JVC's website, but those no longer seem to be available.

Your other alternative is to buy a video clarifier/video stabilizer, which removes the copy protection flags. The better ones like the XDIMAX Grex cost $85-$100.

For what it is worth, by law, cable providers can apply the copy-once flag, which allows one copy of the recording, to any cable-only channel at their discretion, but only premium channels are eligible for the copy-never flag, which prevents any recording from taking place. Only local broadcast channels must be provided as copy-freely, which allows unrestricted recording.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Sep 2013 at 12:34. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Do I put this device in series/inline between the Comcast DVR and the Toshiba player/recorder? The Toshiba player/recorder does not have HDMI input so I send the signal S-Video. Do these devices accommodate S-Video?

If I upgrade to a Blu-ray player/recorder will the device pass HDMI thru to it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by i_am_jim View Post
    Do I put this device in series/inline between the Comcast DVR and the Toshiba player/recorder?
    Yes

Do these devices accommodate S-Video?
    Some do. See http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

If I upgrade to a Blu-ray player/recorder will the device pass HDMI thru to it?
    No, and Blu-ray recorders will not work for recording HD output from a cable box or cable DVR. None will record from HDMI input or component input. They only provide standard definition analog inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks
    Quote Quote