VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any ideas?

I have ripped a number of films from DVD and Bluray using either DVD Shrink or MakeMKV and the .VOB and .MKV files play in VLC no problem at al. When I use Handbrake to convert them down to mp4s the Bluray rips will not play. All DVD mp4s play no problem but the Bluray mp4s simply will not open or error messages come up saying the file is not suported.

Andy
    Quote Quote  
  2. In the title you said nothing plays them but only mentioned VLC in your post. What other players have you tried?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime, iTunes, DivX, WMP, Winvid. I only mentioned VLC because it plays everything even curruptes files or incomplete files but VLC just doesn't respond except to open when opening the mp4 and all the others say that the files are unsupported but play 1GB mp4 DVD rips no-problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is there a log or some settings you can show? I don't use that program but plenty of people do and with more information I'm sure someone can get to the bottom of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the issue does not appear to be MakeMKV but rather Handbrake. There are all sorts of settings, presets there.

It would help if you could describe your workflow in that program and the settings and/or presets you have used.

Also use mediainfo in text mode to create a report of the .mp4 video that will not play and copy/paste the report here.
    Quote Quote