VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi i wonder if anyone can help in that when i record a TV program in BBC/ITV HD and burn it to a disc for archiving it will only playback on this recorder only with sound and vision. i can play it back on a computer and other blu ray players but then there is no sound despite the fact i have all the top main players available. does anyone know of what is wrong. Recording to disc in SD from the TV works well in all players and computer. it's a bit pointless archiving HD from the TV to disc only to find out in years to come that you will have no sound in playback
    thanks in advance for any help here
    Last edited by fourbanks; 13th Sep 2013 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lack of sound is usually a codec issue.

But in this case it could be a recorder issue. Are there different audio settings in the recorder ? What is set ? Do you play back via optical into a speaker system ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose it might be helpful to install MediaInfo and use it to open the largest .TS file in the STREAMS directory on the disc and post back here what it says. It seems highly unusual that a BD recorder would create a disc you can't play elsewhere with sound, but such recorders are not common so we don't have a lot of expertise here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Standalone BluRay recorders are a bit of a complex kluge, various "gotchas" can pop up and catch you unawares. Typically its due to a conflict in recording formats and/or the broadcasts.

Your description sounds like a common problem in the UK: sometimes BBC HD broadcasts use a sound codec that wasn't initially supported on some BD playback devices. So BDs burned in your Panasonic might play with no audio on some devices. You might be able to fix this by updating the firmware of the player (or software player in your PC). You could also try dubbing the BDs in a different format, assuming you still have the videos on your Panasonic HDD.

A similar discussion with more details can be found here. Practically speaking, these machines are exclusive to the EU, NZ and Australian markets: you would probably get faster replies from more experienced owners by perusing the dedicated Panasonic BD recorder forums hosted in those countries. Few of us in North America have much experience of these PAL/DVB-T units.
    Last edited by orsetto; 13th Sep 2013 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks guys for your input will post back here when i have located what the fix it
    Quote Quote